Menu

Need Math advice....

Guest catherine in WI

Guest catherine in WI

My daughter was hschooled until last year when she went to "real" school for 9th grade. She was placed in a very advanced geometry class even though we never really did a formal algebra class. She did very well in the class and has now been placed into college algebra and trig for next year. We need a hard hitting, intense algebra review for the summer. She doesn't like the sound of the guy's voice in Teaching Textbooks, Saxon goes too slow and repeats itself too much. She picks up math and math concepts extremely quickly. We are looking at Video Text Algebra and Thinkwell's College Algebra. Has anyone used these? Are there any other options? We do Aleks and love it but she needs something a bit more formal and structured. We'll keep Aleks for review. Thanks in advance, Catherine:001_smile:

Hello, Catherine,

Have you ever heard of The Art of Problem Solving? This web site and company was started by some real math whizzes - the guys who win intermational math competitions. All their textbooks are designed to be self-instructional. My son is completing their Intro to Geometry now - I just wish I had found these people sooner! They have both an intro to Algebra and Inermediate Algebra (some of thse topics sound more like percal and beyond). As an added bonus, their books are reasonably priced! You might want to call them and ask what they would recommend for your daughter - the authors of the books were very helpful when I was making geometry decisions. One more thought - they offer classes; maybe one would be good for your dd. This should get to their website http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/ .

Blessing and happy math hunting,

April

That's the software that came with the Honors Algebra II course that my son took last year in the online class he took through with CTY (Center for Talented Youth) at Johns Hopkins University. I think it's pretty thorough!

Right now, the Homeschool Buyers Co-op has a special rate for Thinkwell videos. You may want to check them out. Membership is free:

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool/

Patricia

Guest catherine in WI

One more thought - they offer classes; maybe one would be good for your dd. This should get to their website http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/ .

Blessing and happy math hunting,

This is the coolest idea! We will definately look into this soon. Thanks for the idea. Catherine