Menu

? about new Rosetta Stone

Hi,

I have wanted to use Rosetta Stone with my kids but have heard many times that the grammar component is not strong; that it is mostly conversational. Can anyone tell me if the new version includes more grammar instruction? Thank you!

Hi,

I have wanted to use Rosetta Stone with my kids but have heard many times that the grammar component is not strong; that it is mostly conversational. Can anyone tell me if the new version includes more grammar instruction? Thank you!

The new version covers a lot LESS material than the prior version. Please keep in mind that I would not grant more than .25 credits per level of the old Rosetta Stone. The new Rosetta Stone contains things like introducing oneself, etc., that are a lot more practical than the contents of the old RS. (Before, you'd learn to say things like, "The woman in the blue shirt is pointing. The woman in the red shirt is not pointing." You'd never learn to say "hello!") It also contains a smattering more grammar. However, the total content is, if anything, even thinner than before.

I recommend RS for listening to native speakers, learning not to translate, and getting some feel of how the language works in an intuitive way. For older students, I wouldn't let them spend more than a month on an entire level.

EDIT: It is prettier than the old one, though....

I would skip it and go with something like Auralog Tell Me More Spanish. I spoke with the RS people and it was impossible to get them to nail down exactly what their program covers and how much credit it was worth. I find it interesting that when it had two levels it was touted as a 4 year high program but now that they have added a level it worth 3 unofficially.

I taught Spanish in middle school/high school for 5 years before my children started coming along. I think that Rosetta Stone has great benefits (in fact, my own children use it), but it should be used in addition to - not instead of- a traditional language course. If money is an issue, it would be better spent taking language at a coop or at the community college.

Denise in NE

I find it interesting that a kid who's gone through 2 levels of their programs won't succeed in a second semester college course in the same language!

It's primarily a speaking course, with some reading. The workbook (we bought the German homeschool edition) basically reiterates things from the course. There's no grammar taught (no der/die/das charts, no grammar rules given, etc.) I think it's a great introduction to speaking and reading German, but the whole philosophy is that you're learning a language without translating. I don't think that every student is going to suddenly be able to do a second year college course with no formal grammar instruction in German (the only RS we've learned). Not unless they are naturally good with grammar and well trained with English grammar and have a naturally ability to translate easily.

Dd translates stuff all the time because it's obvious to her, but vocabulary and comprehension has always come naturally to her. Nevertheless, we're planning to get her a German grammar/reading course for high school. I just don't thing RS is adequate for much of a high school credit, either, without something more to go with it.

I'm disappointed that the new version is thinner. It doesn't take much to learn to say hello, etc, because you can just get one of those tourist language sets from the library and whip those off in a week or so. Or even a phrase book once you're done RS.