Menu

Confused with colored pencil options

My 6.5yo daughter is an aspiring artist and I am looking to buy her some colored pencils for Christmas. Pencils are her favorite medium. Currently we are using Crayola and I would like for her to have something nicer so she can start learning to blend.

Does anyone have any recommendations for quality colored pencils, but still durable and not too expensive because she has an almost 5 and a 2 yo brother. Also if anyone has a recommendation for a book that teaches colored pencil techniques for the young that would be great too.

Thanks!

Pam

Yes. You must buy Prismacolor pencils. There is no other colored pencil IMHO. They are expensive, but I consider them an investment that is well worth it. My children take care of them as fine art tools; I instilled that regard in them. I like to buy from Dick Blick art supplies online.

For that age, I like the Prismacolor Scholars. The regular Primacolors are very soft and break easily under a child's heavier touch. Also, if they roll off the table, the leads sometime break inside the wood. Very frustrating. Switching to the Scholars has eliminated much of the frustration, while still being much nicer to draw and color with.

Heather

For that age, I like the Prismacolor Scholars. The regular Primacolors are very soft and break easily under a child's heavier touch. Also, if they roll off the table, the leads sometime break inside the wood. Very frustrating. Switching to the Scholars has eliminated much of the frustration, while still being much nicer to draw and color with.

Heather

This is good to know. There is no way I would buy regular Prismacolor if my 2yo was going to have access to them.

Heather

As an artist and art teacher to over 100 students each year, I have to say I agree with heather R. For young children, Prismacolor Scholars and also Crayola brand colored pencils (or watercolor colored pencils) are the best choice. Once your student is mature enough to handle with care, then I also recommend Prismacolor. That is the brand I use in my own studio as well.

Blessings,

Lucinda

As an artist and art teacher to over 100 students each year, I have to say I agree with heather R. For young children, Prismacolor Scholars and also Crayola brand colored pencils (or watercolor colored pencils) are the best choice. Once your student is mature enough to handle with care, then I also recommend Prismacolor. That is the brand I use in my own studio as well.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Is that your own artwork next to your name? (Alright, I'm blanking on what the top picture is called . . . avatar? Icon? What?) The girl reading the book is lovely.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I decided to go with the Prismacolor Scholars for now -- got a great deal. Also picked up blending pencils, a good sharpener, a new sketch pad and a roll case for the pencils so she can keep them separate than the ones the brothers use. Here's hoping she likes them.

I am going to keep the info about the other pencils for the future.

Thanks again,

Pam

I love prismacolor! The best thing you can do to help them last longer is to explain to your daughter that she should be careful not to let them fall, especially on to a hard surface as that can shatter the led inside. That is true with all colored pencils. That is what causes the pencil led to break over and over after you keep sharpening it. Other than that let her have at it. She will love them!!!!;)

These are really great pencils too. You can get them at Michael's and use a coupon. My kid's have these and Prisma.

http://www.amazon.com/Koh-I-Noor-Progresso-Woodless-Colored-Pencils/dp/B004O7895I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322971031&sr=8-1

I really like the way these pencils perform, but they are very fragile. We've used them in the classroom, mostly for K-3 aged students, for over a year now, but they break so easily that we'll never buy them again.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Is that your own artwork next to your name? (Alright, I'm blanking on what the top picture is called . . . avatar? Icon? What?) The girl reading the book is lovely.

No, it isn't. I really like it though, so I downloaded it from an avatar site. Reading good books is another passion of mine. :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda

Heather

:iagree: