Menu

Timelines: To do or not to do...that is the question!

We're doing Ancients. We started a timeline back in September, but dc were so not into it. I ended up doing all the writing, pasting, cutting, etc. I hoped they would get into it once they saw it coming together. Not the case. So, now, I'm not really motivated to do it myself and have them watch with those glazed over eyes. Any suggestions on either a) how to make it more fun for them or b)permission to ditch the timeline! TIA

I will give you permission to ditch the timeline. :D We can't do everything and it sounds like you were. ;) If we do it for them, they will not learn. ;) I would just buy one, that is done. If you don't have one. They will still learn. (maybe more so) :p

Best wishes to you.

If your kids are very young, don't worry about it. We've always done one and I'm glad we did - they're really fun to go back and look at as the kids get older. When we first did the ancients (the boys were in 2nd and 3rd grade) I had the timeline run from the earliest date all the way to the current year. The boys got involved by pasting in pictures of their grandparents in the 40's, their parents and aunts and uncles in the 50's, 60's & 70's, and themselves in the 90's. Unfortunately, that year, e also ended up adding 9/11. But, when we started adding "real" history to the timeline, they felt more of a connection and had a real sense of the time span. I've always been pretty loose about the pictures they choose - if it triggers their memories, it's ok with me. Our current timeline has some pretty goofy pictures, but everyone knows what they mean.

Maybe just stop for the year and try to pick it up again in a year or two if you're still interested.

my kids never got into it and I couldn't figure out how to do it in a satisfying way until recently when I decided to make one just for ME! I've only done the beginning, but I figure it's mine and I can do it as I please. Knowing my family sooner or later someone else will figure they want one, too.

Ditch it for now and wait for your next go-round of history when they're older.

I bought a nice timeline book and the CDs of images and dd has NO interest in doing a timeline. I was very surprised because she likes crafty things. I am not willing to do it for her or keep pushing it, so I've put it away for later. It may be four years from now, but I'll try again.

Jennifer, how are you making one for yourself? I'm interested in doing this too since my children are still to young for a timeline. I will not be putting it up on the wall, but I think the notebook style timeline might be limiting in not being able to view it all at a glance.

I've seen photos and Amy in O. has a hallway for her timelines - if you have a place like a hallway where the kids can easily get to the timeline (and have to pass it and see it several times a day) it can help! My old house has NO hallways - our timelines ahve had to be on posters or bending around corners, etc. behind living room furniture - hard to get to. We gave up after starting the third timeline in three years and the kids so NOT interested. I want Amy's hallway!!:cool: