Menu

What do you recommend for literature for an 8th/9th grader? What

If she doesn't like books....hmm...have you ever taken a look at Prentice Hall Literature?

http://www.phschool.com/atschool/literature/

We've got a couple copies of different levels and my daughter really enjoyed them.

They are pretty nice and have lots of interesting and classic stories included.

That's my only experience with any literature material besides just books themselves.

We're just getting into this ourselves. Nan in Mass recommended we get WEM, which we did. We're also going to introduce it with Keys to Literary Analysis (I think that's the name) by Stobaugh. I have bought a cheap, old used copy of Reading for Rhetoric. My dd inhales books but loathes discussing them and eschews writing about them. Since I am the same (but will happily analyze free verse poetry, drama, philosophy, theory etc) I have let her be. But next year, the literary analysis begins. Hopefully we will survive this. I understand the importance of analysis, but prefer to read fiction for fun and analyze theory instead.

Hi,

I agree with Karin about using The Well Educated Mind to help with discussing books. I like to have my dc read one major book per month. MIne are not fast readers, and this gives them just the right amount of reading. Of course you could bo faster or slower depending on the books being read. You also might want to include a short unit on short stories, poetry, or plays. I haven't used them, but Hewitt's Lightening Literature courses might be just right for your dd. I think you can spend an entire year or a semester per LL book. Don't forget that Spark Notes (free online) are a great resource to help with discussion and essays.

HTH,

Jan