Menu

How to add food dye to melted white chocolate?

I'm trying to make Lego Cake Pops.

I've made two attempts. I've melted white chocolate in a sauce pan. Once it was melted I added food coloring and it basically turned to a play dough like material. 2nd time I used white almond bark, but attempted a homemade double boiler...bottom saucepan with almost boiling water, metal pie plate on top, then smaller saucepan sitting on the pie plate, and melted the almond bark. Again, it melted fine, but as soon as I added the food coloring, again, play dough.

I have a Lego Mold that I am using. I really need the melted chocolate to be in pourable form. The playdough type material is going the job done, but not neatly and not easily. The Lego Cake Pops do not look as good as they should.

Any suggestions?

ps. We don't have a microwave, so I can't melt chocolate that way.

You just found out why you can't mix water and chocolate. It 'seizes', which is where it turns grainy and hard. Remember the old adage "oil and water don't mix" well this is why. Chocolate is an oil based item, if you add water (water based food coloring) it changes the chemical structure into something quite unpleasant.

You either need the colored melting chocolates or to buy an oil based food color at the decorating store.

I am using the gel kind. I was looking around online and apparently it's not possible to use the gel/liquid. It will bind it up...which is exactly what I was experiencing. I guess I have to use a paste or powder...which frankly I wasn't aware existed, lol. Guess a trip to Michaels is on the to-do list.

I am using the gel kind. I was looking around online and apparently it's not possible to use the gel/liquid. It will bind it up...which is exactly what I was experiencing. I guess I have to use a paste or powder...which frankly I wasn't aware existed, lol. Guess a trip to Michaels is on the to-do list.

Michael's should have the colored candy melts. Mine does, at least. I don't remember seeing powdered food colorings, but I also have never had an occasion to look for them.

Thanks all...I'll have to look around at Michael's to see what they have. I think I've seen the candy melts...my only issue is I really wanted the colors to be vibrant, ie Lego colors....I think I've only noticed the melts in pastel colors...but I'll look again.

Hmm, wonder if this could count as a science lesson today, lol?