Menu

Looking for Online Class/Tutor for High School Classes

I am figuring out that my dd13 (officially eighth grade age) does better when I am not the teacher. Both because I have issues with being strict about dead lines and because I don't have the subject knowledge in all the subjects necessary.

She is loving her online Latin course (Lone Pine). She gets everything done on time. She studies for tests. She is learning. It is good.

Now I need to find other classes for her for next year. I am looking for history, english, science, math, and anything else you know about. We are happy with Lone Pine for Latin and Japanese School for Japanese. I have local places I could possibly use for science and math if necessary, but they involve more driving than I would like to do. I am totally stumped on the history and english parts.

My Wish List for classes

1. Secular

2. Graded Meaningful Assignments/Tests

3. Interaction Between Student (or Students) and Teacher

4. High School Level Course

So do you know of any online classes or tutoring services that might meet our needs?

Thank you.

Strongly recommend Scholars Online for English. Dr. McM is an amazing teacher. His classes fulfill all your requirements.

Dd is taking Latin through Lone Pine and loves it! :-)

As your son gets older, check out Pennsylvania Homeschoolers' AP classes. We love their classes for upper level history. And the AP chemistry (Chemadvantage) is outstanding.

I can testify that it is much, much harder than any normal high school or college language class. We're doing about one chapter in our textbook each day, whereas the regular class in the fall will go more like one a week. The TA's say that within another week or so, class will be held almost entirely in Chinese. I would venture to say that every single student is having to really work hard to keep up, and there are already at least two or three feeling discouraged. However, the program director has been good about talking people out of quitting, or at least sticking with it until this summer is out.

Regards,

Carol Chan