Menu

Do you call carbonated beverages Soda or Pop?

Do you call carbonated beverages Soda or Pop?  

1. 1. Do you call carbonated beverages Soda or Pop?

• Soda
    • Pop
    • Sodapop
    • Coke
    • Pepsi
    • Other

Here's our second poll. If you missed the first one, search for the poll: "Do you call your evening meal Dinner or Supper? Like the dinner vs. supper poll......what do you call carbonated drinks like Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Root Beer, etc?

When I was a kid.....it was always "pop". "Soda" was the fancy way of saying it (sound familiar to my supper/dinner poll?? :lol: ). When I got older I began saying soda and now I never say pop. We moved up north and everyone here says pop....they look at me weird when I say soda. I read a discussion similar to this once and found that some people call all sodas "Coke" even if it's not a Coke. :confused: At least....I'm pretty sure it was Coke. Just in case it was Pepsi, I'll add that to the poll. If you choose Pepsi, then that means you call ALL sodas, no matter what kind, Pepsi......same goes for Coke. Just to be clear. :D So, what do you call that fizzy carbonated beverage, the drink that I call soda?

Please vote in our poll so dd can graph the results.

Either.

Here in Texas, though, everything it a Coke.

At the restaurant:

"I'd like a Coke."

"What kind? We have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Root Beer."

"Diet Coke."

Funny how places can be so different. Here, if you were at a restaurant and said "I'd like a Coke"....you'd get a Coke; a Coca-Cola. Or they might say, "We don't have Coke products here, but we have Pepsi products".

"Soft drink."

Alternatively, what brand of soft drink it actually is.

In southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina (Outer Banks, specifically), we called everything a Coke. "Y'all want a coke?" "Sure." "What kind?" "A Dr Pepper." :lol:

I was 9 or 10 when it dawned on me that it was silly to call a Dr Pepper a Coke, and that's when I began using specific brand names. I guess it's the Mr. Monk in me.:lol:

"Soft drink."

Alternatively, what brand of soft drink it actually is.

In southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina (Outer Banks, specifically), we called everything a Coke. "Y'all want a coke?" "Sure." "What kind?" "A Dr Pepper." :lol:

I was 9 or 10 when it dawned on me that it was silly to call a Dr Pepper a Coke, and that's when I began using specific brand names. I guess it's the Mr. Monk in me.:lol:

:lol: You're a Mamma Monk too???! Welcome to the club! :D

Growing up I called it soda. Then I moved to a place where everyone called all soda "Coke" and you'd have to ask what kind of drink they actually wanted. I frequently had conversations that went like this:

"Y'all wanna Coke?"

"Yes, thanks."

"What kinda Coke?"

"A Coke Coke is fine."

"You sure?"

"Sure, give me a Coke Coke."

I kind of miss that. It's silly, but fun to say "Sure, give me a Coke Coke."

Here, everyone uses the word pop, and there are no opportunities for silly pop ordering.

Either.

Here in Texas, though, everything it a Coke.

At the restaurant:

"I'd like a Coke."

"What kind? We have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Root Beer."

"Diet Coke."

This. I also use it in instances of bringing drinks to a get-together. I'd say "I'll bring some Cokes", then go to the store and buy Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, etc.

I actually do call them carbonated beverages. For some reason this is what works for my 9yo. He will try to con his way into drinking something other than water by listing various carbonated beverages individually. For some reason the saying no soda doesn't work, but saying no carbonated beverages does. I have no idea why.

In a restaurant I say what I want from the menu. I want ginger ale. I want sprite. I want a large coke with no ice. I want water with ice and a lemon. I want sweet tea with ice and no lemon.

Mandy

I grew up where it was called pop. I don't know that I ever heard my family call it that. (They almost never bought it, and then we'd call it ginger ale). Then I moved to a college where no one drank it. Never discussed it. In NYC, I learn the word soda, which seems MUCH more civilized than pop, so I call it soda now.

Looking at that map, it dawned on me: Soft Drinks. I fogot that term.....I could only think of "carbonated beverages". Duh! I wonder if anyone here actually calls them Soft Drinks. I should have added that to the poll. Oh, darn it. :banghead:

Post a reply to vote for: Soft Drinks

:D

I usually say soft drink for clarity, but I taught our 2yo to say pop

because I grew up saying pop and prefer it. Now I get to say pop again!

I voted soda, but I'll add another option for you. . . My IL's call it bubbly.

It always makes me giggle to hear them say it, because "bubbly" makes me think champagne, and they (being a good Mormon family) would be horrified if anyone thought they were drinking alcohol. :lol:

I love this chart! It explains a lot. I grew up in a couple of different states where "soda" was the term. I really never heard it refered to as "pop" until I came to the PNW! My hubby and family call it "pop" - I think it sounds as if you're refering to your dad. I'm such a rebel, I still call it soda ;).

I grew up calling all of them "coke" (even though Pepsi originated in this state), but it has now changed to "drink." "Drink" is specifically a soft drink, while if I want water or tea, I ask for that by name. I hear "soda" more frequently now that the area has a lot more transplants (which really started in the 80s), but almost never "pop."

Soda!

When I was little, I did call it pop. Now you have me wondering about my neighbor who always asks if I want a Coke. I just thought she really liked Coke, but now I'm wondering if she is referring to all soda.

I voted soda, but I'll add another option for you. . . My IL's call it bubbly.

It always makes me giggle to hear them say it, because "bubbly" makes me think champagne, and they (being a good Mormon family) would be horrified if anyone thought they were drinking alcohol. :lol:

Don't the British call it "bubbly" too? Or is that seltzer/soda water? I seem to remember a good friend of mine, in childhood, used to call *some*thing "bubbly." She had just moved to the states from southern England.

I love this chart! It explains a lot. I grew up in a couple of different states where "soda" was the term. I really never heard it refered to as "pop" until I came to the PNW! My hubby and family call it "pop" - I think it sounds as if you're refering to your dad. I'm such a rebel, I still call it soda ;).

I lived somewhere where they say "pop" during college. "Pop" always makes me think of lollipops. :001_smile: I said "soda" anyway and either got weird looks or the waitress brought me seltzer.

Growing up I called it soda. Then I moved to a place where everyone called all soda "Coke" and you'd have to ask what kind of drink they actually wanted. I frequently had conversations that went like this:

"Y'all wanna Coke?"

"Yes, thanks."

"What kinda Coke?"

"A Coke Coke is fine."

"You sure?"

"Sure, give me a Coke Coke."

I kind of miss that. It's silly, but fun to say "Sure, give me a Coke Coke."

Here, everyone uses the word pop, and there are no opportunities for silly pop ordering.

Now I'm homesick. :tongue_smilie:

Everyone here calls it soda, but I grew up in the deep South, and it was all coke.

ETA - Dh also says coke, and for the actual specific brand we say Co'cola.

Oh wow! This is so cool. I'll show this to my daughter. Thanks for posting this. We live where it says that 80-100% call it Pop. I don't even live close to where people say Soda. :001_huh:

The map got my home state right, but is way off with where I live now. Supposedly, we call it "Coke" but I worked for years in restaurants here in undergrad and grad school not to mention concession stands as a mommy and never heard anyone say, "Coke" unless they wanted the dark drink in the red can with white letters made by Coca cola. They may call that drink Co-cola, but I've never heard anyone say "Coke" who meant any soft drink. :confused:

When I was a kid it was pop. Everyone in my extended family still calls it pop and so does my husband and his family.

In high school my boyfriend was a transplant from NJ. His family called it soda and I thought it was so weird because I'd never heard that before. Somehow the soda thing stuck with me and now I call it soda. I also ask my kids what kind of soda they want. Weird.....