Menu

Pyrex from refrigerator to oven . . .

Pyrex used to be borosilicate glass, which is much more resistant to fast temperature changes than soda-lime glass. Pyrex is now a tradename, and many items labeled Pyrex (such as measuring cups) are now soda-lime glass. Baking dishes and other glass items intended for use in an oven used to be borosilicate and probably most still are. Even so, I'd be cautious about going from refrigerator (or freezer) to oven or vice versa.

Incidentally, the direction of the temperature change doesn't matter. A soda-lime glass item is as likely to fracture going from cold to hot as from hot to cold.

I don't know about cold to hot, but I have a friend whose pyrex baking dish literally exploded when she took it out of the oven and accidentally set it on a surface that wasn't completely dry. (Actually she just guessed it might have had moisture. Really she's not sure about that. ) She said there were shards everywhere.

It seems this is happening a lot.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/january/home-garden/glass-cookware/blaming-the-victims/index.htm

Edited by laundrycrisis

I don't know about cold to hot, but I have a friend whose pyrex baking dish literally exploded when she took it out of the oven and accidentally set it on a surface that wasn't completely dry. (Actually she just guessed it might have had moisture. Really she's not sure about that. ) She said there were shards everywhere.

There was a whole thread about exploding pyrex a while back.

I set the dish on the counter for about 30 minutes, then put it in the oven while it is preheating.

I can't give advice about using Pyrex with a clear conscience. I have used it in the past, from the cabinet to the oven in the normal way... many, many times... then one time I did it the normal way and took it out of the oven using oven mitts (normal way). The whole thing instantly exploded while I was still holding it, just inches from the oven door. I can never use Pyrex again. I just cannot. Who knows when it will explode?

I guess the safest thing to do, if you HAVE to use it, is to let the dish come to room temperature on your counter and then put it in the oven as you normally would. Barring that, I'd scoop the whole bunch of it into a non-Pyrex pan and cook it that way.

Every time I think of Pyrex I shiver.

The whole thing instantly exploded while I was still holding it, just inches from the oven door. I can never use Pyrex again. I just cannot. Who knows when it will explode?

Every time I think of Pyrex I shiver.

I would like to get rid of ours and replace it all with metal. I would keep the mixing bowls but get rid of the bakeware. I do not feel good about giving it away because I don't think it's safe. DH is not okay with throwing it out. So it sits in the cabinet and I do my best to avoid using it.

I think I may start slowly accumulating metal replacements for all of it so at least it will never be necessary to use it.