Menu

Help! My kitchen sink drain stinks... any solutions??

there are disposable cleaners that you can purchase at Wal-Mart etc.

I think they are near the dish soap(in that general area)

I use baking soda and vinegar as well--cheaper and works.

I used to use a sliced up lemon before our septic tank guy did not recommend this!

here are my favorite green ways to keep the dispoal stink free

Water. Yes, good old water is a great cleaner for your garbage disposal.

After you send food through your garbage disposal, fill your sink about 2 inches deep with warm water. Let the water sit for a few moments, then run it through your garbage disposal with the garbage disposal turned on. Just this simple rinsing step, using the ultimate green cleaner, may prevent garbage disposal smells from ever reaching your nose.

Ice Cubes. OK, so ice cubes are really just frozen water, but ice cubes may add an additional benefit when used as a green way to clean your garbage disposal. The action of the garbage disposal grinders chopping up the ice cubes may remove stuck on food particles that could be contributing to the garbage disposal odor in your kitchen. Just send a handful of ice cubes down the garbage disposal for a green way to clean your garbage disposal and get rid of that nasty garbage disposal smell.

Lemons. Lemon juice is a natural deodorizer that works perfectly as a green way to clean your garbage disposal. Just slice a lemon in half and throw half of the lemon into your garbage disposal. Flip the switch and let your garbage disposal fully grind the lemon. The fibers in the lemon will help to remove stuck food particles from the grinder of your garbage disposal and the acids in the lemon juice will break down food particles as well. Not only will you be using a green method to clean your garbage disposal, but you'll be left with a pleasant citrus smell as well.

After grinding food, especially meat, I will give my garbage disposal a quick little shot of dish soap and hot water to rinse.

If it gets really funky:

First I run a lot of hot water through both sides of the sink to warm the pipes.

Then I will pour a *large* pot of boiling water in both sides of the sinks with stoppers in them. I use a wooden spoon and pull the plug in both sinks at the same time. The boiling water all going through at once seems to work really well.

I use the same method in my bathrooms as well. It can really help to loosen a drain clogged with soap and hair product residue. I will sometimes do a 1/2 and 1/2 with vinegar if I get a gallon for cheap.

Lemons and limes are great to clean and freshen the garbage disposal. I save the rind in the freezer after I have juiced them. Then I just pluck one and run it through every once in a while. I like to cut off the stem end as my disposal doesn't seem to like that part much.

Ice cubes work good, especially if you add a cup of salt with it and use a minimal amount of cold water at the same time.

I have found that they underside of the plastic boot can get nasty too. I use a bit of Comet (Bon Ami, Barkeepers Friend) and a brush to scrub it clean.

I just pour straight bleach down the drain, wait a few minutes the run the water for a minute, that usually takes care of it. I don't know though if this method is the best for your pipes, I've never had a problem!