Menu

Vegans/Vegetarians, what are you making for Thanksgiving ~

This has nothing to do with this thread, but maybe it will make the veggies chuckle.

Last night there was a commercial for all natural turkeys. One of the points they highlighted was that it was fed a 100% vegetarian diet. I said out loud to my husband I wondered what was so natural about that because 10% of a turkey's diet is naturally animal (not vegetable).

He said, maybe they do it for the vegetarians. I said vegetarians don't generally eat turkey! Oops! :D

:lol:

It also gives me a good laugh at dog commercials with veggies and whole grains. :001_huh: Umm, dogs eat meat.

We always have:

- Potato pancakes

- Home-made cinnamon applesauce

- Mashed sweet potatoes baked in a pan lined with chopped pecans

- Green beans sauteed with garlic and onion

- Cornbread muffins

- Cranberry relish

- Rice of some kind

- Sparkling grape juice

I usually do a second potato dish, since neither kid is crazy about the latkes. And I sometimes make one other thing if there's a request.

We quit bothering with dessert years ago, because we found we were all too full after dinner to even consider eating anything else.

We always have:

- Potato pancakes

- Home-made cinnamon applesauce

- Mashed sweet potatoes baked in a pan lined with chopped pecans

- Green beans sauteed with garlic and onion

- Cornbread muffins

- Cranberry relish

- Rice of some kind

- Sparkling grape juice

I usually do a second potato dish, since neither kid is crazy about the latkes. And I sometimes make one other thing if there's a request.

We quit bothering with dessert years ago, because we found we were all too full after dinner to even consider eating anything else.

Home-made applesauce, yum! I love that you use real green beans with garlic and onion. I'll bring that next time someone suggests the casserole. :D

It's just the four of us this year, and I'm not trying anything new. Every year that it's just us I make some fancy, creative, vegetarian dishes and EVERY YEAR no one eats them. It's a waste of money and a waste of time. So this year I asked everyone what they wanted and I'm not making something unless 2 or 3 of us will eat it. Our menu is so boring and ridiculous but I don't even care. Thanksgiving is about family and I am blessed with a wonderful little family. I'm not going to get stressed out making stuff that no one even eats. Aagh. /Rant

Here it is:

Sweet corn (frozen from the farm)

Mashed red potatoes with garlic

Herb stuffing (bagged kind from the store)

Very Basic Salad (red leaf lettuce w/vinaigrette)

Pears

Homemade pumpkin pie (dh makes the cinnamon whipped cream)

Cookies: Must include chocolate.

and that's it! The kids get plenty of milk, yogurt, and nuts throughout the day so I don't worry too much about missing protein in a meal.

spinach and artichoke dip with various foods to dip with

Roasted red pepper hummus

pickles and olives

Tofurky (only because my niece and nephews want it)

lasagna

mashed potatoes

stuffing (2 kinds because both my sister and husband insist on making it)

green bean casserole

quinoa pilaf

broccoli

cranberry sauce

salad

corn bread

rolls

pumpkin pie

pumpkin cheesecake

chocolate pie with coconut cream topping

We have dinner with friends. We are all vegetarian and a couple of those are lactose intolerant.

Appetizers:

baba ganoush

moroccan carrot dip

roasted corn salsa

various chips etc

Meal:

Pumpkin rolls and butter

maple roasted brussle sprouts

scalloped potato

walnut loaf

gravy

cranberry sauce

Sweet potato casserole

stuffing

Desserts:

Pies:

Pumpkin

Apple

cranberry

with whipped cream

Homemade pumpkin ice cream

My husband bought two vegan turkeys from Little Saigon. We prefer them to Tofurky turkeys.

stuffing

mashed potatoes and chicken gravy

cranberries canned and fresh

green bean casserole

yams

pumpkin pie

German apple cake

cranberry nut loaf

I might be forgetting something... but this is more or less the menu. I got off easy this year, I'm just the sous chef. YAY!! The only thing I'm doing on my own is the bread.

We don't normally eat this type of food, so we make it count. It's heavy, fattening, sweet, and salty. By the end of the evening we're ready to wait another year for this meal. :001_smile: