Menu

Reading Aloud to Older Children & Teens

Thank you Sparrow -- Read-alouds are such a wonderful way to encourage reading and family togetherness. I'm going to show your post to my husband and encourage him to be more involved in our nightly tradition. It's wonderful that your husband is so involved and supportive.

I just finished this book today - WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks for reporting back on the book, Heidi. It's definitely on my 'to read' list. I love books about books and reading. Favorites include:

Reading for the Love of It by Michele Landsberg; it's out of print but perhaps your library has it (or can get it through inter library loan). Or, Amazon has copies for a penny and up.

and others I mentioned in this post.

Regards,

Kareni

We never stop reading aloud to our kids....and our kids read aloud to each other. I try to read books that appeal to us all...and we have some favorites we read over and over...and get different things out of each time such as the Narnia Books, little House on the Prairie series, Alice in Wonderland, Pilgrim's Progress etc. These are books my young ones would sit for and listen to and my older ones would discuss and ponder.

Some books are just more fun spoken...Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare....

Faithe

I agree with you, Faithe. We recently listened to Sissy Spacek reading To Kill a Mockingbird and it was such a pleasure to hear her do it. And often when my older kids read Shakespeare I have them listening to an audio version as they follow along in the book. It makes it so much more understandable for them and they're still getting the visual "reading" experience.