Menu

Can you buy good vitamins from Walmart or GNC?

I need to do something to boost my overall health - calmag, Vitamin B, fish oil. Actually, I don't really know what I need and when I think about it I get overwhelmed trying to figure it out...but I think I need to be taking something. Then when I start trying to figure out which ones are good and which ones are a waste of money I get even more overwhelmed! I want to start simple and perhaps add from there but I don't want to waste my money. My local options are limited. Any suggestions?

I need to do something to boost my overall health - calmag, Vitamin B, fish oil. Actually, I don't really know what I need and when I think about it I get overwhelmed trying to figure it out...but I think I need to be taking something. Then when I start trying to figure out which ones are good and which ones are a waste of money I get even more overwhelmed! I want to start simple and perhaps add from there but I don't want to waste my money. My local options are limited. Any suggestions?

I think going there could be wasting your money.

I would look here:

http://www.naturessunshine.com

I "get" that good vitamins are going to cost something. I understand that you pay for quality. But.. I went to the Nature's Sunshine site and took their assessment...If I bought JUST the first three products they recommended I would spend $235 just for a 30 day supply! If I joined (I didn't even look up the cost) I would still spend over $155 for 30 days. Is there really no way to get quality vitamins without spending money like this?

I'm not knocking the vitamins. I just have to believe that surely there are some quality affordable vitamins out there? Maybe I am wrong.

Are you sure you want to buy vitamins from Walmart? I've never looked but I prefer to shop at places that specialize in selling supplements. http://www.swansonvitamins.com is cheap and reputable. iherb.com has free shipping if you spend a certain amount - $40 or something. I used to shop at vitacost.com but just from personal experience the above 2 have better customer service.

I "get" that good vitamins are going to cost something. I understand that you pay for quality. But.. I went to the Nature's Sunshine site and took their assessment...If I bought JUST the first three products they recommended I would spend $235 just for a 30 day supply! If I joined (I didn't even look up the cost) I would still spend over $155 for 30 days. Is there really no way to get quality vitamins without spending money like this?

I'm not knocking the vitamins. I just have to believe that surely there are some quality affordable vitamins out there? Maybe I am wrong.

I would start with something specific and not join until you decide you like their products. They work for me but I have been taking them for years.

Are you looking to strengthen your immune system? Do something for the digestive tract? Then get one product first and evaluate it. You should feel a little better after one bottle (Vitamins C & E and minerals are not as easily tracked in terms of improvement) but if your tummy feels better after taking probiotics or enzymes for example, then you know they work.

I can totally understand not wanting to spend this kind of money. I don't either but I sort of know now what I need.

I agree on the vitacost. I get their Synergy 3000 vitamins and I can absolutely tell if I have missed a couple days. One day, no big deal, but once I skip three or four days I start getting really, really tired. They also have great prices on good name brands (Nordic Naturals, etc). Their melatonin spray is only half as much as I could get it anywhere in town.

I like the New Chapter vitamins and also the GNC brand fish oil. I take citrical calcium found at Walmart. This combination has done wonders for me.

Thank you for the help. I did end up going to a local health foods store. Here is what I ended up getting:

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-DIM-plus-120-Capsules

http://www.vitacost.com/Health-From-the-Sun-The-Total-EFA-90-Vegetarian-Softgels

http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-Vitamin-Code-RAW-One-for-Women

I paid $73 for the three. However, I found them all on Vitacost for $53. So...if these work for me and seem to be quality then I know where to get them cheaper! And I'd still get free shipping so I appreciate the Vitacost recommendation. I went to their website before going to the store but I had no idea what to get.

And, Liz, I know what you mean about sticking with something that you know works for you. It is so worth it if you already feel the difference and know it makes you feel better. I'll give these cheaper ones a try but I do hope to feel a difference!

I agree with many. I buy most of our supplements from vitacost. Fish oil, in particular, is one that you should be very careful about.

I hope that the following is not too overwhelming.

WHAT I LIKE TO AVOID

Many “one-a-day†formulas - Theragram-M, Geritol, Centrum usually:

• Have such long ingredient lists (a red flag for me!) with synthetic coloring, waxes, and other undesirable ingredients – this is my main reason for avoiding them

• Are too low in potency – most one-a-day formulas cannot possibly give you high enough potencies of nutrients. There simply isn’t enough room to pack a lot of nutrients into a single capsule. Do be aware that a good multivitamin and mineral formula requires that you take it in larger quantities – from 3-6 capsules daily. This may seem like a lot, but it’s not. When it comes to herbs, and often minerals and vitamins, most of the time, the quantity and potency is so very, very low, that it really isn’t going to do anything much at all. I prefer to research all the brands and see which has the highest dosage, or I have found that I may need to double or triple the dose. I have to admit that due to financial constraints, I seldom do this these days, unless I'm focusing on a specific health concern. I do believe that nutrition (healthy diet) is first and foremost.

• Are often poorly absorbed

Anything that is multi-marketed. Supplements from multi-marketed companies are obviously going to cost much more. The supplements may be good, but remember that you’re paying for a wealth system that may play on people’s greed.

Any supplement (usually they are minerals) that has the word “oxideâ€. The oxide form of any is the cheapest source of that mineral. Most of the cheaper brands include oxide to cut down on costs, but these brands do our bodies no good, since they’re barely absorbed.

Any supplement that has vitamin E as dl-alpha – dl-alpha is synthetic and junk.

Any supplement that has calcium carbonate – ditto, as above

Most brands at Walmart, Costco, etc. But this doesn’t always apply. Some brands at these larger stores are fine. You'll have to do your own research to know. Just because the supplement is sold at Walmart or Costco does not that it’s necessarily bad. You need to look at the ingredients.

are the same.

WHAT I PREFER

Bio-available when possible – these are best absorbed. Many bio-available forms are patented and identified on the label.

Anything with a short ingredient list – no soybean oil, no sugar, starches, colorings, soy, etc. – the less things in it, the better! With vitacost, you can click on side bar buttons to say that you're looking for something without soy, etc.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE – IF I COULD

If I lived in the U.S., I would try my utmost to get as much as I could from Standard Process - which you have to buy from an alternatiave health care practitioner. Standard Process is wonderful. But they don't have every single supplement. They're very specialized.

ALKALIZING MULTI VITAMINS AND MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS

Most of us have systems that are overly acidic. Working towards a system that is balanced or more alkaline is the key to overall health. These supplements are said to be very good for alkalizing the body.

• http://www.auntiegs.com/index.php

12 Systems Synergistic Multiple – one tablet per meal

• Vita Lea (Shaklee) – one tablet with each meal

• Bio Strath – One teaspoon with each meal or tablet as indicated – I saw it on vitacost

AFTER THAT

I prefer searching for good brands on vitacost or amazon – reading reviews, and looking at brands. The following are brands that I like and trust:

Carlson’s

Nature’s Way

Twin Labs

KAL

Enzymatic Therapy

Green Magma – for green, alkalizing drink

Solgar

Source Naturals

Rainbow Light

Solaray

NOW

Swanson

UniKey (do a google search)

New Chapter Organics

Brands I've heard good things about, but have not yet tried, and don’t yet know enough about:

Aerobic Life Products

Blue-Green Algae

Country Life

Darwin’s

Gaia Herbs

Health from the Sun

Jarrow

Kyo-Green

Member’s Mark

Metagenics

Nature’s Plus

Nature’s Sunshine

Nordic Naturals

Planetary Formulas

Pure Encapsulations

Puritan’s Pride

Shaklee

Trace Minerals Research

Vitamin World

Zone Perfect

B COMPLEX

Any good multivitamin or B Complex needs to have at least 10 mg of B vitamins. It's a red flag if the B vitamins are at very low levels. When lower than 10 mg, they’re insignificant and unhelpful.

VITAMIN C

Best if taken as Ester-C – this is a patented form of bio-available vitamin C

CALCIUM

I think there is a very big difference not only in the brand but the type of calcium you use.

The major types of calcium are: Carbonate, Citrate and Bone Meal.

1. Calcium carbonate (also found in coral calcium) is the hardest calcium compound for the human body to break down and absorb. You’ll find it in a lot of supplements because it’s inexpensive. The Carbonate (like Tums) is basically like taking chalk board chalk. It may alkalize your body, but it does almost nothing for your bones.

2. Calcium citrate is slightly better than calcium carbonate, since minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used. It is a little bit more bio-available, but still not the best.

3. Bone Meal is the best source for bones and has one of the highest bio-availabilities. Just make sure it's from a clean source, and the animals it came from weren't given hormones or antibiotics. KAL from New Zealand is good and I get it from vitacost or amazon.

4. You can also get an herbal calcium source that is also bio-available and easily absorbed.

CHROMIUM PICOLINATE

ChromeMate is a bio-available form of chromium picolinate.

COPPER

Try to avoid multivitamins with copper. Research has shown that even tiny traces of copper from water pipes can lead to heart disease, as well as diabetes and Alzheimer’s. Over time, even small traces of copper can contribute to the production of excess damaging oxidant radicals. The study recommended that anyone over 50 should avoid supplements containing copper (and iron – more info on iron below). A good form of zinc will lower copper levels in the body. Copper overload can also cause:

Depresssion

Fatigue

Food Cravings

Poor Liver Function

Weight Gain

Yeast Infections

VITAMIN D3

Vitamin D helps everything—your bones, your immunity, your emotional well-being, your mind; it even helps prevent cancer.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

VITAMIN E

If any multi or Vitamin E supplement has dl-alpha, rather than d-alpha, I stay away from it. D-alpha is the good and natural kind. Dl-alpha is synthetic and not processed by the body.

FISH OIL

Make sure to get a good, high-quality fish oil – such as Carlsons’s. You want to avoid fish oil that may come from polluted sources or that may be high in mercury. Other good brands are Nordic Naturals, Enzymatic Therapy, and Metagenics.

Fish Oil is good for your heart partially because it decreases blood clotting and reduces blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be helpful. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

For all others, 1 gram (1,000 mg) is fine.

Stop taking fish oil and any EPA supplements 2 weeks before surgery – as well as possibly avoiding a fish dinner the night before any surgery.

Do not take fish oils if you are on any blood thinner.

GLUCOSAMINE

The cheaper glucosamine hydrochloride form is totally useless. Only glucosamine sulfate has been scientifically shown to have any efficacy whatsoever. But, glucosamine HCI is really, really cheap

IRON

I prefer to avoid iron in supplements. I always take iron-free multis and try to get my iron from natural sources instead. If you want natural iron alternatives, there are some supplements. I can share info on that.

Stored iron normally increases as we age, and accumulates in the body after menopause and may increase women’s risk for arthritis, cancer, heart disease, and stroke.

Iron supplements may be used by tumors to promote their growth. Since it oxidizes, if you take too much supplemental iron, it can lead to cancer.

If you have had cancer, or if there is a high incidence of cancer in your family, you may want to take a formula without added iron unless a blood test determines that you are iron-deficient, in which case, natural sources may be far superior.

Iron supplements should also be avoided if you have arthritis.

MAGNESIUM

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements). If I see these in a multi, I avoid it.

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

MUSHROOM EXTRACT

Look for a formula that combines the immune-boosting and anticancer properties of reishi mushrooms, the blood-sugar balancing and cancer-fighting properties of the maitake mushrooms, and the cholesterol-lowering abilities of the shiitakes. Fungi Perfecti is very good, but expensive, however.

PROBIOTIC

Any probiotic you take should contain at least 1-5 billion colony-forming units (CFUs).

Good probiotics include:

Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics 12 PLUS is known to be the one of the strongest, most effective probiotics

Udo's Choice Adult's Probiotic – 12-36 billion CFUs

New Chapter Organics Probiotic All-Flora – 8 billion CFUs

Jarrow Formulas Enhanced Probiotic System, Jarro-Dophilus EPS – 5-20 billion CFUs

Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus – 3-9 billion CFUs

Jarrow Formulas femdophilus – 5-10 billion CFUs

Advocare Probiotic Restore – 2-4 Billion CFUs

Kyo-Dophilus – 3 billion CFUs

Nature’s Way Probifia Pearls

Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus Pearls

ZINC

L-OptiZinc is a patented form of bio-available zinc

THE MOST IMPORTANT SUPPLEMENTS – in my personal order of preference – this may vary for each person, of course! – these are my top if $ is a concern

Fish Oil

Vitamin D3

Magnesium

Probiotic

Green Magma (or other high-quality green drink – if you don’t juice veggies regularly) and/or Capra Mineral Whey – these are important, very, very important to help balance our body’s pH – a healthy pH is essential for overall health. My husband refuses to touch the Mineral Whey. I love it, however. Since I juice veggies often, we don’t need Green Magma very much. On days that I have little time for juicing, we take the Green Magma.

Mushroom Extract

A good multivitamin/mineral formula

Overall, most of us are far more deficient in minerals than we are in vitamins. When budget is a concern, as it for most of us, focus much more on minerals and a healthy diet, than lots and lots of vitamins.

TIPS ON TAKING THEM

My naturopath friends have always told me is that it's good to take 2 days off most or all of your supplements every week, preferably any two days that are back-to-back. So, if you need to take them on weekends. Fine. You could try skipping them on any other 2 days of the week.

Another thing I do, based on what I have read and played around with - is take a break from some supplements for an entire month. Not all. Just some. They work so much better for me, when I get back on them - 5-HTP, Melatonin, even probiotics, whatever you want or think that your body could do well to take a break from in order to be more effective. The body sometimes becomes overly efficient and not challenged by supplements. That’s why taking a break and going back on them, in my opinion and experience, helps them to become much more effective.

I've used GNC's women's vitamins before and found them affective. Vitacost has been mentioned here already. I also like iherb.com. Currently, I'm using WomentoWomen.com supplements. They have vitamins, cal/mag, and fish oil in a handy packet. I do supplement with additional fish oil though.

Our Meijer store carries the Alive! vitamins, which are decent. You might be able to find those at Walmart and I know the Vitamin stores usually have them, as I first saw them at Vitamin World.

I find vitamins are cheaper from Amazon than Vitacost. It used to be cheaper, but not the NutriStars I buy the kiddos are several dollars more at Vitacost.