Menu

Still confused over how dual enrollment courses should appear on transcript.

I've heard the general rule of thumb that a one-semester college class can be shown as 1 high school credit. How does this really work: would a 2-credit college class vs a 4-credit college class both be shown as 1 high school credit?

Also, if a student takes 2 semesters of something (say, biology), do they end up with 2 high school credits in biology? How do you title the classes: Biology I and Biology II?

thanks!

Pegasus

Hello Pegasus,

I've asked similar questions over time and have heard of people doing everything from considering a college course as no different from a high school course to one quarter or semester college class being the equivalent of a full year college class.

I'll tell you what I've decided to do and why. Bear in mind that this is for a rising senior, so I've no idea how this will be received by a college.

My teen has taken several classes at a local community college which operates on a quarter system. There College Algebra is a 5 hour class and Trigonometry is a 4 hour class. Most of the other classes are 4 hour classes. Since I consider College Algebra plus Trigonometry to be the equivalent of a full year high school pre-Calculus class, I decided to equate a 4 hour class at the community college as being roughly equivalent to half of a full year high school class or half a credit.

This year my daughter took AP Latin and AP Comparative Politics at an out of the home location (this equals 2 high school credits). At the community college, she took:

College Algebra (5 hrs) and Trig (4 hrs) = 1 high school credit

Two quarters composition and a quarter of literature (3 x 4 hrs) = 1.5 credits

Three quarters of Geology (3 x 4 hrs) = 1.5 credits

So, all told I'll be giving her 6 high school credits for this year. Her transcript will indicate which classes were taken at the community college and will also show my conversion factor.

Regards,

Kareni

to count one CC course as one credit, whether it was a 3 or a 4 hour course because even in college they get counted as one course. For her transcript we were told to use the name that the community college gives the course so an English course became Aurgumentative Research because that's what the college called it. To designate it as a CC course we simply put the name of the course and next to it we wrote Dual Enrollment and the initials of the college. It was no big deal because we also had to send in the transcript from the community college. She had no problems with any of her applications doing it this way and I was told by several admissions counselors that this was standard in our state.

Those classes that are less than 3 hours are a little tricky. I tried to go off the number of hours he put in and assign credit that way. For example, he was enrolled in a 1 credit hour orchestra class for 1 semester. He did a lot of "outside of class" work with it - playing for various city functions, etc. I gave him 0.5 credit as a high school class.

When he took College Algebra, I simply titled it Algebra 3 (he already had Alg. 1 and 2) based on the advice I received here. I did put asterisks beside each course that had been taken concurrently and put an explanation at the bottom of the page. I think Bio. 1 and Bio 2 would work esp. if you add an explanation.

I've heard the general rule of thumb that a one-semester college class can be shown as 1 high school credit. How does this really work: would a 2-credit college class vs a 4-credit college class both be shown as 1 high school credit?

Also, if a student takes 2 semesters of something (say, biology), do they end up with 2 high school credits in biology? How do you title the classes: Biology I and Biology II?

thanks!

Pegasus

HSLDA's rule of thumb: 1 semester college course = 1 high school credit, regardless of how many "hours" the college course is.

I don't think it's necessary to do it any differently.

Yes, I would title the classes Biology I and Biolgy II.

Don't forget, too, you will include the transcript from the CC with your transcript. That should clear up any confusion that the admissions folks have. (I will probably star the course and put a little notation in the Notes section of the transcript, saying See enclosed transcript from ____Community College.)

• 5 weeks later...

On my dd's transcript, we listed the course title as the community college listed it. If dd had taken two semesters of the same subject in one year, then this generated two credits. For example:

English Composition I (1 credit)

English Composition II (1 credit)

or

Principles of Macroeconomics (1 credit)

Principles of Microeconomics (1 credit)

Using the community college's course names did cause some issues for the umbrella school that handled our transcripts - simply because some of the course names were so LONG!

A title like "History of the American People Since 1877" takes up a lot more space than just "U.S. History," and they had trouble physically fitting it into their transcript template.