Menu

Bare Minerals or other make-up? What do you use?

I am considering Bare Minerals. I have a dear friend who uses it and her skin looks wonderful. I have super sensitive skin and more recently adult acne. My acne had gotten better and it all of a sudden is flaring up again. sigh

I am concerned about having a reaction to the 'minerals' in the make-up. I have used Cover-girl for years because anything else breaks me out. My skin drives me crazy, it's either oily or dry or broke out. Geez. I need serious help.

Any advice out there for me?

I use bare minerals. I had flawless skin until my 3rd child and then boom rosacea. My skins reacts to everything but for whatever reason bare minerals works and my skin feels and looks great with it on. If I forget to wash my face before bed it doesn't cause it to freak out overnight either. And I like that it hides my flaws really well without that caked on look.

I am concerned about breaking out more and having a reaction because my skin is so sensitive. Thus far, it seems that the few responses I've received have not had a bad reaction.

That's good. Wonder how long it would take it to get here by mail. There's a special which is much cheaper than the store.

I love Bare Minerals! I had it a couple of years ago and used it all. I'm actually going to the mall tonight to get more!

I'm also trying to learn how to do the smokey eye thing really well (with lighter shades)

Woman on a mission!

Is it difficult to remember what to put on? I mean how many containers are there?

:confused:

If you have extremely sensitive skin, the only thing I would caution about it would be the Bismuth they use. It is an irritant and many people experience a tingling/burning/itching sensation when either out in the sun or if they are sweating.

From my experience, Bare Minerals is a great product. It just has a couple of downfalls if you are looking for the all natural approach. :)

Bare Minerals was the answer to my make-up needs. :001_wub:

I don't know why you'd be more likely to react to the minerals in Bare Minerals than to the chemical stuff in any other brand/kind of make-up. It's possible for anyone to react to anything, but I don't think that one is more likely than the other.

Everyday Minerals is the brand I've been using; now I bought a lot a couple years ago and am not sure how their pricing is anymore but it was a ton less expensive than the big brands.

For some reason, I think their ingredients were very carefully selected and if I'm not mistaken...I think bismuth was one of the items that isn't included.

I've been very happy with it, and to be honest, my skin actually looks better (without makeup) if I've been wearing the makeup lately. It might be my imagination but it just seems to agree with my skin.

Here's an example of my poor skin. My chin was dry almost like eczema. I have eczema, but I have never had it on my face. I used Oil of Olay before I put on my makeup because my chin was so dry. I broke out. Then I use Pro-Activ and then my skin is irritated, even dryer and still looking yucky! Sigh and Ugh!

I have also been breaking out around my mouth. It is so frustrating. I am wondering if it's something I am eating. Goodness me. I am sure being stressed about it doesn't help at all! I am no beauty queen, but I'd like to look decent.

Thanks for listening...

Here's an example of my poor skin. My chin was dry almost like eczema. I have eczema, but I have never had it on my face. I used Oil of Olay before I put on my makeup because my chin was so dry. I broke out. Then I use Pro-Activ and then my skin is irritated, even dryer and still looking yucky! Sigh and Ugh!

I have also been breaking out around my mouth. It is so frustrating. I am wondering if it's something I am eating. Goodness me. I am sure being stressed about it doesn't help at all! I am no beauty queen, but I'd like to look decent.

Thanks for listening...

To be completely honest, my daughter had a similar situation. For her it was a couple of things that were causing that sort of thing:

1. Unconsciously touching her face during the day

2. She's an allergy sufferer, so she would blow her nose, and wipe her mouth/chin with the tissue afterward, irritating the skin and potentially spreading bacteria to the area.

Just a thought. Not touching herself with her hands during the day was the hardest habit to break but it's helped a lot.

To be completely honest, my daughter had a similar situation. For her it was a couple of things that were causing that sort of thing:

1. Unconsciously touching her face during the day

2. She's an allergy sufferer, so she would blow her nose, and wipe her mouth/chin with the tissue afterward, irritating the skin and potentially spreading bacteria to the area.

Just a thought. Not touching herself with her hands during the day was the hardest habit to break but it's helped a lot.

I wish this was my issue. Unfortunately I think it's hormone related. But I will pay more attention. It can't hurt if it doesn't help.

I am considering Bare Minerals. I have a dear friend who uses it and her skin looks wonderful. I have super sensitive skin and more recently adult acne. My acne had gotten better and it all of a sudden is flaring up again. sigh

I am concerned about having a reaction to the 'minerals' in the make-up. I have used Cover-girl for years because anything else breaks me out. My skin drives me crazy, it's either oily or dry or broke out. Geez. I need serious help.

Any advice out there for me?

I have extremely sensitive skin and I struggled with acne until about 5 years ago when I started using Bare Minerals. My skin has cleared up and I get compliments quite often about how good my skin looks. No matter how oily your skin may or may not be, I highly recommend a good lotion and primer, and a gentle face wash. I don't use a cloth on my face when I wash. I just lather the wash on and rinse. While I love the Bare Escentuals line for makeup, lotion and primer, I use First Aid Beauty face wash found at Sephora. The B.E. stuff was too grainy and harsh. Good luck! Hope you find something that works for you.

I have very dry, extremely sensitive skin. I have barely been able to wear make up my whole life - I could tolerate Clinique for maybe 1 hr before having to get it off. I tried two different mineral make ups through co-ops but they irritated my skin. On a whim, I decided to give Bare Minerals a try and I can wear it comfortably. I have not tried Avon minerals or Mary Kay minerals but they are both supposed to be good and less expensive.

Everyday Minerals is the brand I've been using; now I bought a lot a couple years ago and am not sure how their pricing is anymore but it was a ton less expensive than the big brands.

For some reason, I think their ingredients were very carefully selected and if I'm not mistaken...I think bismuth was one of the items that isn't included.

I've been very happy with it, and to be honest, my skin actually looks better (without makeup) if I've been wearing the makeup lately. It might be my imagination but it just seems to agree with my skin.

I have also enjoyed using Everyday Minerals. IDK how it compares, price-wise, to Bare Minerals.

I've used the Loreal mineral line in a pinch and it's okay. It's talc-free anyway. My skin is starting to react to it though.

I have been using the Avon mineral makeup for several years and love it. I am sure Bare Minerals is great, but I like the Avon prices better and it has worked for me so I feel no need to try BM. The mineral concealer is awesome, especially used with the brush they recommend. I have also used the mineral blush, love it. The eyeshadow is very nice, love the glimmersticks eyeliner, and love love love the new super shock max mascara. I think the key to sucess with the mineral makeups is using a the proper moisturizer before hand. Too oily will make the makeup look cakey, too little and you'll feel really dry. I have used the Avon moisturizers in the past and like them very much, I just don't use them all the time because they're a little spendy. I probably sound like an Avon rep, but I'm not, my friend is so I've gotten to try a bunch of stuff. The only problem I've had is with the glimmerstick diamonds eyeliner that has extra sparkle to it. It looks beautiful, but really irritates my eyes for some reason.

Thanks for listening...

:grouphug:

Did you know that celiac disease can cause eczema?

Dairy can cause acne/other skin conditions.

I have always, since I was young (and I am no longer young, lol), used a three-part skin care regime: cleanser, toner, moisturizer. I've used different products over the years--Clinique, Shaklee, Artistry (Amway's skin care/cosmetic line), Paula Whatshername, Jordan Essentials--with about the same results, so now I just stick with Artistry.

So of course I always recommend that: no bath soap, including Dove or Ivory, but a facial soap if you like soap, such as Nutrogena; a toner that you apply with a cotton ball or pad (I have seen toners that you spray on; those are probably fine, too--it's the toner-following-the-cleanser part that's important); and a moisturizer that you apply while your face is still damp from the toner.

I thought I had acne, but now I'm pretty sure that my break-outs are actually rosacea break-outs. :glare: I use Finacea every night: I wash my face in the shower with a facial soap (because I like using a washcloth on my face for a little dermabrasion, KWIM?), then apply the Finacea. As long as I'm faithful with the Finacea, my skin is pretty decent. Sometimes I dab the gel on little extra spots that show up randomly :glare: and it seems to help.

I used Bare Minerals for a time, but switched to Mirabella about 6 months ago. I have very sensitive skin, rosacea, and tend to break out easily. Mirabella doesn't irritate my skin at all. It is a bit pricey, but a little goes a long way. I've been using the same bottle of foundation for the past 6 months, about 4 times per week, and am just getting to the point that I need to replace it.

You can only buy it online, or at some salons (which is where I purchased mine). I've been very satisfied with it.

If you want makeup that is *really* purely minerals and very good for your skin try Pink Quartz Minerals at etsy.com I rarely wear makeup, but this is the only kind I will wear. It is beautiful and delicious. :)

My skin struggles with pimples, but I've finally found a routine that works for me and it is sooooo much better now. I use Kiss My Face *hand* soap (yes, the foaming hand soap-very gentle!) twice a day, in the morning followed by Jason Aloe Vera lotion, at night followed by Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel, then Jason Aloe Vera lotion. I always wash in cold water as warm/hot water dries my skin out, then it produces more oil. Once a week I exfoliate gently with baking soda and water paste, then use a green clay mask, followed by Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and Jason lotion. Once a week (a few days apart from the green clay) I wash with Alba Pineapple Enzyme Facial Scrub, then a rhassoul clay mask mixed with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel, followed by Jason lotion.

If you have extremely sensitive skin, the only thing I would caution about it would be the Bismuth they use. It is an irritant and many people experience a tingling/burning/itching sensation when either out in the sun or if they are sweating.

From my experience, Bare Minerals is a great product. It just has a couple of downfalls if you are looking for the all natural approach. :)

Yes! I had a pretty severe reaction to the Bismuth. I used Bare Minerals but started getting the tingling/burning/itching sooo bad. I literally felt like clawing my face off! It was a terrible feeling. I had to stop using it because of this.

Edited by mommyrooch

The only mineral make-up I will use anymore is Pure Anada (online shop here). Most other brands use bismuth which is not good for your skin, and other additives that are not so hot either. This stuff is truly pure, not just in name only. They have an excellent sample system, too. $1.00 gets you any sample of any powder (foundation, blush, eyeshadow, etc.) Or, you can get any 20 samples for $12. Free shipping for samples only orders, or for orders over $50. It's a very good deal and the customer service is very good.

I also use their moisturizers, which are just as pure as the mineral make-up. No mineral oil, no parabens, no artificial fragrance or colour, no silicones. My skin has never been happier. My wallet is happier, too, as this stuff is very reasonable and lasts a loooooong time.

Edited by Audrey

:iagree: Also, I've found that you must use a moisturizer if your skin is at all dry and really let it sink in before you put this stuff on. Otherwise, it can look cakey.

I've been using Everyday Minerals for years now. My skin looks better than it ever has, although I've also made a lot of diet changes the past few years. This mineral make up has few ingredients and lower cost than Bare Minerals. I can't see myself ever changing to anything else. My mother and SIL are also converts.

http://www.everydayminerals.com/

ETA: You can also order free samples of base colors to help you figure out the right shade for your complexion.

Edited by HLDoll

Bare Minerals broke me out HORRIBLY. Instead, I use Everyday Minerals with no problems. Meow Mineral Makeup is also a good one.

This stuff looks great! I don't think I'd ever be able to figure out what color to use though. How would you do that online?

Well, Everyday Minerals offers a sample kit of several foundations for $5, then they credit it back at checkout and you only pay for shipping. I wound up paying $3ish. (Well, I bought a brush too so it wound up being more...)

Well, Everyday Minerals offers a sample kit of several foundations for $5, then they credit it back at checkout and you only pay for shipping. I wound up paying $3ish. (Well, I bought a brush too so it wound up being more...)

Thanks! I was just looking at those. I'm trying to decide between fair and light and matte and semi-matte. :tongue_smilie: I'm not sure what the advantages of the different coverages. I'm guessing the semi is more natural looking, covers less, but I'm not sure what I would need. I haven't worn foundation since my teens! I do wear other make up though.

I use Bare Minerals and really like it. Someone gave me the Avon version of mineral make-up and it's not as good.

I am curious about Everyday Minerals now, though. Who doesn't like to save money?! Unfortunately they have been saving $ on their marketing team. "Every woman is an artist and make-up's our muse." HUH? Isn't make-up our medium?

ANYHOO, thanks for the heads up, girls.

Thanks! I was just looking at those. I'm trying to decide between fair and light and matte and semi-matte. :tongue_smilie: I'm not sure what the advantages of the different coverages. I'm guessing the semi is more natural looking, covers less, but I'm not sure what I would need. I haven't worn foundation since my teens! I do wear other make up though.

If you wear concealer, the "multi-tasking minerals" is great for that.

Hmmm, I not so sure this stuff would work for me. I read several of the EM reviews and this sounded so familiar. I tried a health food store mineral powder eons ago and it did this exact same thing to me. :/

I decided to switch over to mineral powder because of all the comedogenic and unsafe chemicals used in liquid foundations... I ordered the sample kit from EDM and also some samples from Alima.

The Alima ones came about a week earlier so I started using those first- they didn't break me out and i really liked them.

But when EDM came I decided to try theirs since despite Alima's awesomeness-they do have a powdery look.

EDM had an amazing finish. I loved it- no powder at all! BUT after two days of using it I had 3 painful under the skin acne bumps... so I went back to alima and no new acne...

So can't be sure if EDM was the cause... I'll try it again when these bumps die down... and update

EDIT: THIS DEFINITELY AGGRAVATED MY ACNE! Caused cystic acne to re-surface. The amount of mica in it was extremely irritating.

Somehow I only saw the positive, glowing reviews of this product before ordering the sample kit... Now, of course, I am finding all the reviews similar to my own! After a day and a half of use, this makeup gave me four, large, painful cystic pimples on my jaw and chin area. I have not had any cystic acne like this in almost 2 years, so the brief introduction of this is the sole cause.

I can't believe it after all of the hype I heard about it being the "best" mineral makeup. Apparently it works for some, but if you are prone in any way to cystic acne, DO NOT USE.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=67857/foundation_semi-matte_formula/Everyday_Minerals/Powder

Edited by JENinOR

I am concerned about breaking out more and having a reaction because my skin is so sensitive. Thus far, it seems that the few responses I've received have not had a bad reaction.

That's good. Wonder how long it would take it to get here by mail. There's a special which is much cheaper than the store.

I have recently used it (I use VERY little, not sure how representative this is) and have not had any reactions. I used the site Seraphima suggested for getting samples - can't remember now what it was. :tongue_smilie:

..."Every woman is an artist and make-up's our muse." HUH? Isn't make-up our medium?

I've been using their products practically from the get-go, and can tell you Karina (the owner) isn't a genius and often lacks common sense. It's a small company...

I also had a heck of a time with their website on both my office PC and my phone, but the site might just be overly scripted and the firewalls are saying "no way!"

But the product is good and everything is very personal and friendly. Customer service is delightful and helpful.

(As of about 3 years ago, anyway)

You could buy both sample packs...just do it one at a time, and you only pay shipping. :)

There is a yahoo group that's called...I think..."addicted to minerals" [eta: It's actually "Everyday Minerals Group...somehow I was able to log into yahoo again.] which might be helpful. It's from a few years ago and there (were) some people on there that were extremely knowledgeable about not only mineral makeup but skin issues in general. I can't recall for sure, since my yahoo account has been suspended for lack of use, but it was a good forum back then anyway!

Edited by bbkaren

Also, http://www.alimapure.com offers small samples if you need to find the right shade. Very inexpensive and helpful.