Menu

Help with supplements... what kind of zinc should I buy?

I know nothing about supplements but I want to try some zinc for acne. Does it matter where I buy it or what brand it is? I'd rather not spend more than necessary so I thought I'd just check Walmart or Target... but of course I don't want to waste money on something that isn't as good, won't be absorbed well, etc. Any advice?

I'm aslo interested in trying some other supplements like magnesium, turmeric, and 5-HTP for example. How do I know if the supplements will be ok together? It's overwhelming! :)

Thank you!!!

I know nothing about supplements but I want to try some zinc for acne. Does it matter where I buy it or what brand it is? I'd rather not spend more than necessary so I thought I'd just check Walmart or Target... but of course I don't want to waste money on something that isn't as good, won't be absorbed well, etc. Any advice?

I'm aslo interested in trying some other supplements like magnesium, turmeric, and 5-HTP for example. How do I know if the supplements will be ok together? It's overwhelming! :)

Thank you!!!

This type of zinc is absorbable. Don't know how much you need for acne though. If the other supplements are for acne, try Carlson's Fish Oil (lemon-flavored - 1 -2 teaspoon/day depending on weight).

15 mg (RDA) - http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Zinc-Balance-100-Capsules/278?at=1

30 mg - http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-OptiZinc-30-mg-100-Capsules/738?at=1

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-The-Very-Finest-Fish-Oil-Lemon-Flavor-16-8-fl-oz-500-ml/2796?at=1

Not much time right now and probably not until either later today or tomorrow morning.

I have lots of info on supplements and will be happy to post them here.

Here's my info on zinc.

Usual dose: 25-50 mg per day

DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 100 mg

Use zinc gluconate lozenges or OptiZinc for best absorption

L-OptiZinc is a patented form of bio-available zinc – bio-available means best absorbed

Don't take it on an empty stomach or it could make you nauseous.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Ok, I'll look for OptiZinc or the lozenges. It would be great if I could find them at Walmart/Target or maybe the drug store.

(The other supplements I mentioned weren't for acne. Those are for other things I'm dealing with - pms, headaches and muscle aches (TMJ), etc.)

I'm going to include all the info I have. The supplements you listed should be fine together. I take those and more. Yes, it can be overwhelming at first. Read the info slowly and add them gradually if you wish.

WHAT I LIKE TO AVOID

Many “one-a-day†formulas - Theragram-M, Geritol, Centrum usually:

• Have such long ingredient lists (a red flag for me!) with synthetic coloring, waxes, and other undesirable ingredients – this is my main reason for avoiding them

• Are too low in potency – most one-a-day formulas cannot possibly give you high enough potencies of nutrients. There simply isn’t enough room to pack a lot of nutrients into a single capsule. Do be aware that a good multivitamin and mineral formula requires that you take it in larger quantities – from 3-6 capsules daily. This may seem like a lot, but it’s not. When it comes to herbs, and often minerals and vitamins, most of the time, the quantity and potency is so very, very low, that it really isn’t going to do anything much at all. I prefer to research all the brands and see which has the highest dosage, or I have found that I may need to double or triple the dose. I have to admit that due to financial constraints, I seldom do this these days, unless I'm focusing on a specific health concern. I do believe that nutrition (healthy diet) is first and foremost.

• Are often poorly absorbed

Anything that is multi-marketed. Supplements from multi-marketed companies are obviously going to cost much more. The supplements may be good, but remember that you’re paying for a wealth system that may play on people’s greed.

Any supplement (usually they are minerals) that has the word “oxideâ€. The oxide form of any is the cheapest source of that mineral. Most of the cheaper brands include oxide to cut down on costs, but these brands do our bodies no good, since they’re barely absorbed.

Any supplement that has vitamin E as dl-alpha – dl-alpha is synthetic and junk.

Any supplement that has calcium carbonate – ditto, as above

Most brands at Walmart, Costco, etc. But this doesn’t always apply. Some brands at these larger stores are fine. You'll have to do your own research to know. Just because the supplement is sold at Walmart or Costco does not that it’s necessarily bad. You need to look at the ingredients.

are the same.

WHAT I PREFER

Bio-available when possible – these are best absorbed. Many bio-available forms are patented and identified on the label.

Anything with a short ingredient list – no soybean oil, no sugar, starches, colorings, soy, etc. – the less things in it, the better! With vitacost, you can click on side bar buttons to say that you're looking for something without soy, etc.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE – IF I COULD

If I lived in the U.S., I would try my utmost to get as much as I could from Standard Process - which you have to buy from an alternatiave health care practitioner. Standard Process is wonderful. But they don't have every single supplement. They're very specialized.

ALKALIZING MULTI VITAMINS AND MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS

Most of us have systems that are overly acidic. Working towards a system that is balanced or more alkaline is the key to overall health. These supplements are said to be very good for alkalizing the body.

• http://www.auntiegs.com/index.php

12 Systems Synergistic Multiple – one tablet per meal

• Vita Lea (Shaklee) – one tablet with each meal

• Bio Strath – One teaspoon with each meal or tablet as indicated – I saw it on vitacost

AFTER THAT

I prefer searching for good brands on vitacost or amazon – reading reviews, and looking at brands. The following are brands that I like and trust:

Carlson’s

Nature’s Way

Twin Labs

KAL

Enzymatic Therapy

Green Magma – for green, alkalizing drink

Solgar

Source Naturals

Rainbow Light

Solaray

NOW

Swanson

UniKey (do a google search)

New Chapter Organics

Brands I've heard good things about, but have not yet tried, and don’t yet know enough about:

Aerobic Life Products

Blue-Green Algae

Country Life

Darwin’s

Gaia Herbs

Health from the Sun

Jarrow

Kyo-Green

Member’s Mark

Metagenics

Nature’s Plus

Nature’s Sunshine

Nordic Naturals

Planetary Formulas

Pure Encapsulations

Puritan’s Pride

Shaklee

Trace Minerals Research

Vitamin World

Zone Perfect

Now, although I have info on many minerals and vitamins, I'll only include info on the ones that you requested.

MAGNESIUM

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements). If I see these in a multi, I avoid it.

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

TIPS ON TAKING THEM

My naturopath friends have always told me is that it's good to take 2 days off most or all of your supplements every week, preferably any two days that are back-to-back. So, if you need to take them on weekends. Fine. You could try skipping them on any other 2 days of the week.

Another thing I do, based on what I have read and played around with - is take a break from some supplements for an entire month. Not all. Just some. They work so much better for me, when I get back on them - 5-HTP, Melatonin, even probiotics, whatever you want or think that your body could do well to take a break from in order to be more effective. The body sometimes becomes overly efficient and not challenged by supplements. That’s why taking a break and going back on them, in my opinion and experience, helps them to become much more effective.

All the info that I have on zinc - and yes, it can help with acne and skin conditions.

Zinc is an antioxidant mineral that is essential for:

Ovulation – deficiencies have been linked to spontaneous abortion and toxemia in pregnancy

Enhances the action of vitamin D in preventing osteoporosis

Useful in fighting off colds and the flu

Women with PMS are low in zinc, and its deficiency may lower production of the hormone progesterone

Helping curb sugar cravings and blood sugar imbalances - As an insulin potentiator, zinc is useful in managing Type 2 diabetes.

Aiding digestion

Protecting the body from stress

Rejuvenating the powerhouse of the immune system, the thymus

Helps to halt and reverse cataract growth

Protects and strengthens hair and may help with hair loss

25-50 mg per day

DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 100 mg

Use zinc gluconate lozenges or OptiZinc for best absorption

L-OptiZinc is a patented form of bio-available zinc – bio-available means best absorbed

Don't take it on an empty stomach or it could make you nauseous.

Found naturally in:

Wheat germ, oysters, pumpkinseeds, chicken breast, eggs, crab, turkey, lentils, barley, yogurt

Zinc is required by the brain in order to produce GABA, a compound that eases anxiety and irritability.

Without sufficient zinc, some antioxidants can’t respond and function normally.

Zinc is often low as we age because of reduced intake and absorption.

Zinc is a mineral essential to the very metabolic processes required for mercury elimination.

Support your adrenal glands – an adrenal supplement is essential if you’re stressed out (and a yeast infection is certainly stressful). Also pay attention to your copper-zinc balance. Zinc deficiency and copper biounavailability are also factors in yeast overgrowth. UNI KEY Female Multiple is a copper-free multivitamin-mineral supplement especially created for women with both iodine and zinc to support endocrine function and the immune system.

A lack of vitamin B6 and zinc can contribute to progesterone deficiency—a deficiency common in women. These nutrients are notoriously absent in today’s diets due to food processing, too many sugary foods, and fast-food consumption.

All the info I have on turmeric.

CURCUMIN, AKA TURMERIC

Powerful antioxidant

Anti-aging properties

Most powerful natural anti-inflammatory

#1 anti-cancer spice

To be assimilated by the body, turmeric must be mixed with black pepper and dissolved in olive, canola, or linseed oil.

All of us should regularly consume a teaspoon (some say a soup spoon!) of turmeric every day, with a generous pinch of pepper and olive oil. You can use it in your salad dressings, cooking, vegetables, and soups

In store-bought curry mixes, turmeric represents only 20% of the total, so it’s better to obtain turmeric directly

Because powdered turmeric is a powerful blood-cleansing herb, don’t overdo it.

Research has shown that turmeric in capsules is poorly absorbed by the digestive system.

When turmeric is not mixed with pepper or ginger, it does not pass the intestinal barrier. Pepper increases the body’s absorption of turmeric by 2000 percent

CAUTION: Some brands of turmeric powder and supplements have been found to be contaminated with heavy metals themselves. Make sure to obtain a high quality brand.

ANTI-CANCER PROPERTIES

Turmeric is the #1 anti-cancer spice

Turmeric and piperine (black pepper) can limit the growth of stem cells for breast cancer -- the cells that conventional treatment have the hardest time eliminating.

Has been shown to inhibit growth in a large number of cancers – colon, prostate, lung, liver, stomach, breast, ovarian, brain, and leukemia

It inhibits angiogenesis and forces cancer cells to die (through the process of cell suicide known as apoptosis)

Indians have much lower cancers overall – despite their exposure to numerous carcinogens in their environment, often on a worse scale than in the West

Studies have shown that it can kill off cancer cells, even within 24 hours!

CAUTION: Note that it is often safest to avoid turmeric during chemotherapy as well as a three days before and after the treatment. This is because it can – rarely, but it can – interfere with some chemotherapy treatments and reduce their benefits.

Turmeric regulates estrogen receptors, and helps the body eliminate carcinogens.

ALZHEIMER’S AND COGNITIVE DECLINE

May reduce the buildup of beta-amyloid proteins in the brain, a hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease

India consumes the bulk of the turmeric produced in the world. They have one-third the rate of Alzheimer's than does the United States (which affects half of Americans over 85)

PROTECTS LIVER

Regular consumption of turmeric has been shown to protect against fewer lesions of the liver

Turmeric acts specifically on bile and also has significant anti-inflammatory properties

FIGHTS TOXIC MATERIALS

Other studies have suggested that turmeric may actively fight the toxic effects of heavy metals (such as mercury); certain pesticides (especially those that simulate the effect of estrogens); and several other chemical toxins present in our modern environment.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY

Powerful anti-inflammatory

Some studies suggest it works to ease the pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis

It may also help with other inflammatory conditions, such as tendinitis, and it may even protect your heart

Effective and healthier alternative to many pain medications – Advil, Motrin, Rx drugs

IMPROVES DIGESTION

Safe and effective digestive aid

TURMERIC blocks the mechanisms that break down bone as you age. Turmeric also prevents arthritis by stopping the action of a protein that triggers joint inflammation.

5-HTP

Helps with:

• Sleep problems – quality and duration

• Emotional eating and evening cravings – helps suppress appetite

• Anxiety and depression as it increases serotonin levels

• Melatonin production

• Serotonin production

• Prevents migraines after using for 2-3 months

Best if taken sublingually - opening the capsule and pouring the contents on your tongue.

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking it.

No more than about 3 capsules a day – can safely take up to 400 mg per day – although most need less.

Loses its efficacy if taken every single day – best if you take breaks – sometimes alternating days – and sometimes take a break for an entire month or so

It may take 1-2 weeks to notice any effects and up to 6 weeks to notice the full benefits.

Be cautious about taking this if you’re on anti-depressants