Menu

Favorite DVD/VHS movies about the Civil War?

Sparrows-Song

I saw this movie on IFC called "The Confederate States of America"

It was made like a documentary of the history of the CSA as if the south had won. It even had "commercials" sort of showing what it would be like.

It was neat. It was based on factual events... just tweaked a little so that the south won.

I watched both Gods and Generals and Gettysburg on my own. I thought on the whole the movies were a too violent for my sensitive 4th grader. So I used selected scenes to illustrate different people or events in the civil war. One example: I was explaining to the children how the civil wore tore many families apart. That brothers sometimes fought brothers. To illustrate this I showed a scene from Gods and Generals that showed a Union Irish regiment fighting directly against a Confederate Irish regiment during the Battle of Fredericksburg. This scene got the point across to the kids in a way that I never could have.

I did have the kids watch Shenadoah (I'm sure I spelled that wrong!) and they liked it.

HTH,

Lee

Lee