Menu

AP exams versus CLEP

Here's something that might help you:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/home-schooling-college/85311-clep-vs-ap.html

Also: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/747721-ap-vs-clep.html

In general, here's what I know from our experience:

AP tests cost more per test than CLEP tests ($87 for AP and $77 for CLEP)--although I've heard that some testing centers charge extra fees for administering CLEP exams.

AP & CLEP tests both grant college credit if taken and passed with a certain score. Some people say that CLEP is "easier" than AP. It is true that sometimes a school will require a 4 on an AP exam (equivalent to a "B") but a 50 (or lower) on the corresponding CLEP (generally equivalent to a "C").

Some colleges & universities don't accept either CLEP or AP credits. (But I think AP is more widely accepted than CLEP; you would have to check with the individual college/university to find out.)

ER (my ds 21, homeschooled for gr. 1-12 & now a college senior) did not take approved AP classes or AP tests. (About the time he would have started taking AP classes, College Board made a ruling that classes must be approved by them in order to be listed on a transcript as "AP".) ER did have a rigorous course of study, but I didn't know of any official AP classes (we could not afford to sign him up for them anyway, so it didn't really matter), and I did not want to jump through the hoops in order to have his courses officially designated as "AP". So he did the courses at home and then took CLEP tests at his prospective college's testing center. He scored quite high on the CLEP exams (70+ out of 80 possible points), and he received college credit for 4 different courses--almost a semester of work.

CLEP tests were administered on an "as needed basis" at ER's college testing center, but I think AP's are only administered once per year. CLEP tests take approximately 90 minutes each, and are scored immediately (with the exception of essay portions of certain tests). It's my understanding that AP's are 3-hour tests. If you take a CLEP test and don't pass, you can retake it, as long as you haven't yet attempted the actual course (meaning that you can't take the CLEP for credit in a class you already took on campus but didn't pass). I think you only get one shot at each AP test: pass or fail, that's it.

Edited by ereks mom

It was my impression that AP was more acceptable to higher tier colleges and CLEP was more acceptable to lower tier colleges. As always, it's wise to check with the college of interest to see what their policy is regarding these tests.

It's not necessary to have your home course designated AP in order to take the AP exam. You could list the course as Honors __________ for AP Exam (or something like that) and then list the AP Exam and score. You'd still need to work out exam scheduling with a school willing to help you.

I too would ask the college the child intends to attend. I took AP tests in high school, but they were more expensive than the CLEPs in college. My dh CLEPed out of nearly a year of lower level classes during his first year of college. The college we attended administered the tests in the testing center (tutoring center), and there were no additional charges. Good luck, it will save so much money and time in college.

Even if AP isn't accepted for credit, it may be used for placement, either up a level or into the Honors freshman course. (UW does this with chemistry; a 4 or 5 is needed to place into honors. You can accept credit but this is strongly advised against if you are majoring in Chemistry or a closely related field.) So the question of whether or not (and which) to take may go beyond just credit and admission purposes.