Menu

Kitchen faucet/sink recommendations ?

I would like to get a new kitchen faucet and maybe a new sink as well. At the least the sink needs to be reinstalled.

I have no idea where to start on choosing something new.

What do you like about your kitchen faucet and/or sink?

I know I want a sink with 2 sides. I want a sprayer of some kind. I think I want a single handle. Beyond that is a faucet a faucet a faucet? Or is there something wonderful about one over another?

Thanks,

Kendall

Home remodeling/decorating flunky

My Dad is a master plumber of over 40 years and he will not buy anything but a Moen when it comes to kitchen faucets. Doesn't matter how basic they are... if they are Moen, he likes them. So that's how I always make this decision... Umm... yeah... now that I say that, I haven't had to make that decision as every time we move to a new house I get a Moen kitchen faucet for my birthday in the mail! Content_40.gif

And as far as features, I like a pull out faucet (or a separate sprayer hose). I don't really care which as long as something comes out and sprays my dishes.

I have a Silgranit sink that I adore. It's nice and deep and cleans easily. The only think I'd do differently would be to get the super single instead of a double. I never thought I'd think that but...most of my dishwashing is done in the dishwasher. It would be nice to be able to get big pans all the way in the sink and not have to do the tip it dance.

I bought my faucet at Costco--because it was cheap. (Nice faucet, but not horribly expensive. The one I really liked was over $400, not something my dh would ever do.) It's a pull down and there are things I like about it, such as the ability to reach with it. I can even put pans on the counter and fill them if I need to. But it does splatter somewhat. It does switch to full spray and half spray, though, and I like that. If I could go to the store and purchase whatever I wanted, I buy a Grohe.

(I'm still really happy with my kitchen renovation, though. We did it very inexpensively and I was able to replace a sink and countertop that had been in the house for 50 years--and looked like it.)

I really like my flush-mounted Franke stainless steel sink. The quality of the SS is excellent, plus it has good soundproofing so the sink is quiet. Mine has a grate that sits in the bottom. One of the features I really like is that the drain is in the back righthand corner and the rest of the sink slopes towards it. Having the drain in the corner really helps when the sink is full of dishes and I need to get to the drain. My sink has the large main part and then a very small adjacent sink. Next time I think I'd just get a larger single sink -- easier to clean cookie sheets, big pans, etc.

If it's a possibility for you, I'd also consider getting a farm sink. That's what I want next time. Farm sinks are huge, plus the edge starts right at your waist so there's no need to bend over countertop to work in the sink.

I would never buy a double sink again unless I had a *huge* kitchen, in which case I'd probably install two large singles side-by-side. You might want to rethink the double. I place kitchen towels on the counter and allow my pans to air dry there. Next time I'll probably have the countertop installed with a built-in drainboard, but this works fine for now. I'd rather do this than give up my single large sink for two small sinks in a double.

My needs in a kitchen faucet:

*Must have a single handle (messing around with two knobs while holding dishes to wash/rinse is a major peeve of mine)

*I like a sprayer, but I don't like the pull out kind. The pull-outs I've had experience with always seemed to have problems (leaked, sprayed the water out at an angle which hit a bowl and swooshed me in the stomach -- not fun)

*I like a high arc faucet that gives plenty of room for large pots underneath

*I love my Delta Waterfall. You can see it here:

http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/Kitchen?PC_7_19_9RO_group=TallHighArc&PC_7_19_9RO_collection=Waterfall&PC_7_19_9RO_pid=174-WF&PC_7_19_9RO_spf_strutsAction=!2fviewProductDetail.do&PC_7_19_9RO_area=Kitchen&PC_7_19_9RO_task=DfcProductDetail&PC_7_19_9RO_function=SingleHandle#7_19_9RO

My needs in a sink:

*Easy cleaning -- Mine is Corian, integrated with the coutertop so I can easily just "swoosh" all water and crumbs into the sink. I hate sinks with a lip that sits on top of the countertop. They are a pain to clean.

*One large, deep bowl (for those large pots and other large items)

*One small, shallow bowl (for the garbage disposal, and to fill with soapy water -- I don't like to waste water, so I hardly ever fill the large bowl.)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can't see the benefit vs. drawbacks of a single sink. Maybe I just do dishes wrong LOL. We fill one side of the sink with soapy water and one child washes and another rinses. This also leaves the side with the garbage disposal available so that someone could rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher while someone else washes. We run the dishwasher once a day but with 9 of us that just takes care of plates/cups/silverwear. We hand wash pots/pans/tupperwear etc everyday.

If you just have one sink where do you wash/rinse?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can't see the benefit vs. drawbacks of a single sink. Maybe I just do dishes wrong LOL. We fill one side of the sink with soapy water and one child washes and another rinses. This also leaves the side with the garbage disposal available so that someone could rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher while someone else washes. We run the dishwasher once a day but with 9 of us that just takes care of plates/cups/silverwear. We hand wash pots/pans/tupperwear etc everyday.

If you just have one sink where do you wash/rinse?

If the single sink is large enough, most people place a plastic pan of soapy water in it to wash, stack unrinsed dishes next to the pan, and then rinse them under running water. You need a second sink only if you plan to dip the dishes to rinse them (which I have seen people do). With the drain in the rear of the sink (like mine is), the garbage disposal is always available if something needs to be dumped.

All I do in my single sink is rinse dishes for the dishwasher and wash the relatively few pots and pans that I don't want to go in the dishwasher. I never fill the sink with soapy water to do this. Usually one of the dirty pans or bowls is large, so I will that up with soapy water first and wash the smaller pieces in it, then finish washing the big piece. For example, I might briefly wash out a soup pot and then fill it with water. I'd wash the tupperware in that soapy water, set it down in the sink next to the pot, then wash smaller pieces and place them in the tupperware until I'm ready to rinse. IOW, usually I do all the washing first, and then all of the rinsing. If I have a lot of big things, I wash and rinse those one-by-one at the end. The only time I would fill my sink with water to wash dishes would be if the dishwasher were broken and I needed to do all the dinner dishes by hand. That's the only time I would need something big enough to hold a stack of dinner plates in soapy water.

The biggest advantage of a single large sink is its versatility. Cookie sheets and large pans fit inside so they are easier to clean. You can make a smaller sink inside the big sink with a plastic dishpan (usually kept underneath the sink). My sink is extra-deep in addition to being large. This makes it easy to stack a dinner's dishes in the sink out-of-sight when I don't want to immediately load the dishwasher.

Oh, I forgot to mention a good place for researching questions like this. Here is a link to the Kitchen Forum at Garden Web. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the "search" feature. I just did a search on "sink double single" and came up with a page of threads related to this topic.

You can also post your specific question on Garden Web. You have to register to post, but registration is free. Garden Web is a great place to research specific questions that come up when remodeling or building!

We just put in a new kitchen faucet. I don't remember the brand, but it is either Moen or Kohler. We chose it mainly because it said "easy to install" on the box. :D It is still a pretty faucet. They were right. It was very easy to install. We have almost no plumbing experience and we only had a smidgen bit of trouble installing the thing and that was due to operator error. :p

Ours was around $150, which seemed like a lot of money for a faucet to me, but compared to all the $400 faucets, was cheap.

I guess you get what you pay for. We had this installed a year ago, and have so far gone through three of the hand-held-sprayers. They have leaked, and the latest one had the handle fall off. It is very annoying!

We got a double sink, which I prefer. I cannot remember the brand, but it is also a lower-cost, porcelain coated sink. It has already scratched and discolored.

I definitely recommend going with the best you can buy, even if it seems pricey.

Michelle T