Menu

Can vitamin D cause my heart to race?

Last spring I had my vitamin D checked and it was extremely low. My doctor wanted me to take 5,000 IU daily. At the time, I was also having trouble with my blood pressure. The blood pressure has been an issue since the birth of my last child(3 years) and I have been on and off meds. So at the time, I started the vitamin D and my BP went up quite a bit(was not on meds for BP). I called the dr and she recomended that I stop the vitamin D. In August, it became clear that I needed the bp meds, my bp was consistently elevated so I now take 10 MG of Lisinopril daily. I also take 100 MCG of Synthroid for an under active thyroid. Last week I decided to give the vitamin D a try again, 2000 IU daily. Ideally I would like to take it at least through the winter months when I am not out in the sun as much. My heart feels like it is racing. Is that normal? Should I be worried or continue taking it hoping my body will adjust.

I do not take any other meds or vitamins. And yes, I know I should probably go to the doctor but I still would like to know if anyone has experience with this.

Thank you!

Most likely you're extremely deficient. You want levels in the 50 to 80 range. You may be lower than when originally tested. The average person needs about 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current vitamin D levels. You need much more than 2000 IU (use a D3 form only) to raise your levels. I took 10,000 IU of D3 six days a week to raise my levels. That's safe for a healthy adult with any underlying vitamin D level.

I get palpitations when magnesium is low and vitamin D needs magnesium so if there is any connection outside of vitamin D deficiency itself my guess would be you need to add magnesium.

I'd up your magnesium and vitamin D amounts both. Maybe take divided doses of each--morning and night or breakfast/lunch/dinner even? Magnesium can cause loose stools if you do too much at once.

Edited by sbgrace

I think I would want to hook my heart up to a monitor to rule out anything serious.

I had heart palpitations that I swore were getting worse when I upped my cal-mag intake, but I started writing things down and stopped taking it and then started it again... and in the end it was just random. I had some easy tests to rule out a heart problem, and the upshot was that it was connected to my pregnancy.

I have never taken magenisium. How much should I take?

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (which most of us do), I would recommend more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Gluconate

Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

NATURAL SOURCES

Almonds

Avocado

Barley

Beans

Brazil nuts

Brown rice

Buckwheat

Dark Chocolate

Dates

Figs

Garlic

Greens (including Collard Greens and Dandelion Greens)

Kelp

Molasses

Millet

Parsley

Pecans

Rye

Sea vegetables (seaweed and kelp – but make sure they come from non-polluted waters and are high-quality)

Shrimp

Walnuts

Whole Grains

Wheat bran

Wheat germ

REASONS FOR MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

Diets that are highly-processed and refined – mostly white flour, red meat, and dairy – none of these have magnesium. Food processing removes much of the magnesium (as well as other minerals) that’s naturally found in certain foods.

Antacids and other indigestion medicines disrupt magnesium absorption.

Modern farming practices deplete magnesium and other minerals in the soil.

Medications including diuretics, birth control pills, insulin, tetracycline and other antibiotics, and cortisone lead to magnesium deficiencies.

Too much calcium often leads to an imbalance . These two minerals need to be in balance.