Menu

Logic Stage Biology - Elemental or ClassiQuest?

Last year, I was afterschooling my dd in science, and I used Real Science for Kids Chemistry Level I. It was great - a fun an interesting text, okay experiments. My main criticism was that it didn't really go into the scientific method enough - the experiments illustrated the principles in the chapter, but didn't really teach the student to develop and test a hypothesis. Anyway, overall I liked it, and now that we are homeschooling full time, I assumed I'd be using RS4K Biology.

BUT!!!! Now I've seen Elemental Science and ClassiQuest Science, and I am blown away! They make RS4K look so weak!! So I'm considering one of them instead. Has anyone used either of these in the Logic Stage (5th grade) for Biology? What did you like or dislike about them? I'm leaning toward Elemental, just based on the samples I've seen, but would love input.

BTW - I'm looking for a secular or world-view neutral science program.

Thanks!

Rose

We are using Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage this year and both my son and I are very happy with it...It very closely follows TWTM recommendations, is easy to implement, and my son gets it done every week...It is the one part of our curriculum choices I have not second guessed yet (we also have the grammar stage biology), and I would definitely recommend it...

You could do either. I have seen enough of both to tell you that it is a fine line as to which.

You will ultimately have to make this decision for yourself. They are far too similar in method and style.

Classiquest has one thing in its favor now - you can buy the lab packs in one click. LOL Bless Angie for taking this initiative.

At the time, I went with Elemental Science. I am pleased with it, but as I mentioned ... so very similar. You should evaluate the resources that are used. I believe that this was a concern for me at the time and making the transition appeared easier to me because I had many of the books already.

We will more than likely use Classiquest next year because of the release dates for the next science topics, physics and chemistry. If neither hit .... well, more than likely Neoe or Prentice Hall Science Explorer series will be the way we go!

Note: I appreciate the planning in both. I like that they are open and go. Everything is perfectly scheduled. I move it into HST and go. :)

I am integrating ES Biology for the Logic Stage into our BFSU Vol II studies. I think I feel about BFSU what you feel about ES Biology. ha. I love that BFSU goes in depth on certain topics others haven't even touched, but I also love the experiments and how ES Biology goes more in depth with each kind of plant and animal.

Thanks for the feedback on CQ & ES. For those who have used CQ - is it Christian, or worldview neutral? I really like how both Elemental and RS4K are very clear on their website as to their worldview in the science lessons, as well as their own beliefs/background. I haven't seen anything like that for ClassiQuest - is it explicitly religious? Secular? Neutral?

• 3 weeks later...

:bigear:

I'm closely watching these type threads as I'm looking at either ES or ClassiQuest for Bio for next year.

My questions include:

- How easy is it to include an older grammar stage student (or not?)?

- Which one would be better for non-sciency kids? (We are definitely not ready for the beefier science yet.)

- Which one is easier for a Mom who is limited on time but whose kid isn't going to be able to do everything independently?

FWIW, I've now changed plans entirely . . . ;) After checking out BFSU, I am totally sold on that program as a spine, and I'm now planning to use it through 8th grade, supplemented with other good materials (which I'm still investigating) and based on DD's interests. If it were up to me (and her, probably) we could easily spend the next 4 years on Biology!:D I'm uninspired by physics, and fear being an uninspiring teacher, but with BFSU connecting everything to everything . . . . I think this is gonna be good!

I'm looking at Ellen McHenry's products; we've done RS4K Chemistry Level I, and I plan to fold RS4K Biology into the BFSU lessons as appropriate. It didn't feel enough as a stand-alone biology, but blended in with the BFSU Strand B, I think it will be good.

I just received Classiquest Biology this week, and I have been perusing it for the last several days. I've only looked at samples of ES Biology for LS, but I did use ES Physics last year.

I really like the layout of Classiquest. ES is set up as a calendar. On day 1--do this reading and notebook page, Day 2--do this lab. CQ is a checklist with assignments for reading, definitions, labs, report, science history, and memory work. The checklist format really appeals to me. I was always stressed that I couldn't fit into the box that ES set up for me--I'm not a great tweaker, and I hated when I couldn't get everything done in a day that I was "supposed" to do.

CQ has lots of work with a microscope. It has some "virtual dissections" using books that show different layers of the animals. I remember seeing that ES has several actual animal dissections, and I'm not quite ready for those yet. :tongue_smilie:

This seems a little silly, but I love the way the materials list is set up. She has it written out two different ways. The first is chronologically (by lab) and the second is categorized by where to buy the materials. The categorized list also lists which labs you will need each item, so it's very easy to flip to those labs and see exactly what you will need an item for. She even includes item numbers from Home Science Tools which makes it very easy to search for items.

CQ has only one lab per week. I can't remember if ES has the same or more. I know the GS levels of ES usually had 2 labs per week, but they were simpler than the Logic stage experiments.

CQ seems to have quite a bit less writing. The amount of writing in ES was a problem for my dd, so CQ seems more doable.

Overall ES seems to have "more" of everything. If your family loves science and you want more options, ES would probably be a better choice for you. If, like me, you struggle to get science done every week, CQ looks more user-friendly and doable.