Menu

What did you drink during morning sickness? I'm getting dehydrated...

Not so much from throwing up. It's been more of a constant nausea event.

My problem is I hate drinking. The physical act makes me even MORE nauseous- if that is possible. I'm definitely getting dehydrated.

What helped you?

Thanks.

Jo

ps- gingerale has been outlawed by me. The mere thought of that drink causes a gag reflex. :(

I actually drank sprite this morning - high fructose corn syrup and all.

Dear boyfriend is actually on his way to get my pizza craving satisfied. It can only be this ONE Italian restaurant and I can't even remember the name - only the location. I'm starving.

I have to make myself eat breakfast at 11am because I'm just not in the mood to eat yet. But boy can I eat all afternoon and into bed time!

How pregnant are you? I'm 8 weeks.

Drinking during the first months of pregnancy makes me super nauseous too.

This time around, I added RealLemon to my water and found that it worked wonders for me. Something about not having to taste the water & the sourness of the lemon helped me to be able to drink.

Otherwise, I'm like you. Drinking makes me.... ugh. I'm so glad I'm at the end of my pregnancy, and not back at the beginning! :p

Hang in there! Good luck!

I hadn't heard the news. Wow. Yippee. You just can't handle a dull life, can you? :D So that would make you due around mid Sept, right?

I think I'm aroung 9 or 10 weeks. I truly have no idea. I haven't been to see anyone yet, and my "dates" are less than reliable.

My morning sickness has been around for a while, but this past week has kicked my booty!

Blessings on you and your growing family.

Jo

Water, forget it. I also like lemonade.

How are you doing Jo? It is good to see you on. I feel sick to my stomach and I wish pregnancy was the reason. Instead- I just caught the kids' bug and I have a houseful of people arriving tonight for dh's promotion on Friday-- the same friends I was visiting from MD when I tried to hook up with you. Oh, dear. I have cloroxed the whole house so I am hoping they don't get it. Hope you guys are well. :)

Jo, the only thing that helps my constant nausea is a great big burp. I bought some Mexican Coca Cola from Sam's Club because it's sweetened with actual sugar, not HFCS. Mmmm...tastes just like I remember growing up. I also buy this:

http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/brews.html

Reed's ginger brew has a high concentration of ginger and is sweetened with fruit juices as well as sugar, so the overall sugar and calorie content is lower than most soda. I get the extra ginger version at Trader Joe's, but I can also find it at the local BevMo store. I think their website has a locator.

It only takes 4-5 gulps to bring up the trapped gas that I never believe is causing the nausea, but always is. Pg sickness is very much like motion sickness for me in that tummy gas is usually the secret culprit.

Barb

I was so sick my last pregnancy...I lost 45 lbs.

In the morning, I drank hot tea sweetened with sugar. (Sicky sweet...most of the time I topped it off with a frosted brown sugar pop tart...really nutrititous!) Early in the day, something sweet seemed to help.

Lemonade--preferably rasberrry--was my choice during the day.

I wasn't smart enough to think of popsicles, but they sound good, too.

I ate orange slices in the morning and they often lessened my morning sickness. Mimosa drinks were also yummy. This allowed me to drink or eat. Fresh fruit in the morning like strawberries, watermelon or peaches almost always went down eaisly.

You are on the island of fresh fruit:rolleyes:. Try some pineapple and other fruits to combat the queasiness.

Hope you feel better.

I'm at 22 weeks and still sick! I know how kristafish feels :( I found something wonderful though - Perrier water or club soda. Here's the key - it has to be REALLY cold.

When I was at my worst (around 5 - 16 weeks) that was all that was keeping me alive...little sips. No big gulps.

Now I still can't handle plain water. It has to have some lemon in it as the other ladies have said.

I was soo excited about two weeks ago we were out of town, far from anywhere with perrier water - I tried a pink lemonade and it was good! It was cold, so maybe that's a key for me.

I'm taking one zofran a day still, down from three and it's really yucko if I don't have that one pill. I can sympathize with you - so sorry you're feeling bad.

I also noticed whenever I was on an empty stomach things got rough. Try small bits throughout the day. For some reason keeping food in there helped keep the gases away.

I did a combo dose of B6 and Unisom for a while (alternating that with the Zofran).

Although it made me very! sleepy all day it kept me out of the hospital. Maybe that's an over the counter remedy your doc will allow to help? (Not the Zofran, the B6 and Unisom).

Oh yes, one more thing...I benefitted from acid reducers. As another posted said that gas was a secret nemesis also. Hope it's over very soon.

Stephanie

I had no idea congrats were in order! Wow! Will this be number seven? How old is your youngest now? I've gotta say, there is just about zero possibility of me getting pregnant in the midst of selling one home, moving, holidays, etc.:p

I was very ill throughout each of my pregnancies and I cycled through different drinks with each one. It's funny, too, because it was never anything I'd normally drink. For example, I don't drink pop (soda, whatever you want to call it) or sports drinks or anything with HFCS. But with my first, I had Coke every single day. I was in Switzerland much of the time, and it was just about all I could find that helped me a bit. Second time, it was ginger ale. By the time I was pregnant the third time, I never wanted to see another ounce of ginger ale, but lemon water worked. Fourth time, I was devoted to Country Time Lemonade. I drank so-o-o-o much of that stuff. Shudder. And with Kai, Gatorade was my ally.

Hope you feel better soon!

I have been where you are and in fact I'm just starting to feel better. I've been on prednisone for nausea and starting to wean off of it now at 18 weeks. For awhile I would fill a glass with crushed ice and add just a little bit of lemonade (minute maid from concentrate). I could eat the ice with just that much flavor to cut the plain water feel and any "freezer taste." Then after that I went on to Coke - in the bottle not the can. (I'm curious about trying the Mexican coke over HFCS coke that pp suggested!)

One other thought about ms in general is that while a lot of women struggle with too much acid, sometimes it could be that you don't have enough acid. Definetly stagger your drinking with your eating so you don't dilute stomach acid that you need to digest the food. (I always feel like the food sits on my stomach FOREVER!) One thing to consider in figuring which way your stomach acid is going is when you do get sick can you still tell what it was? (sorry, I know that's gross!) I used to get sick at bed time on things I had eaten at lunch and it was very recognizable - so, for awhile at least, I think I wasn't producing enough acid.

Hope you feel better soon!!!