Menu

Tips for Wash, DC?

We were planning on going to DC at the end of April, but we are all getting antsy to do something and my dh has a week of vacation starting Feb. 16. First of all, would the weather be just to awful to enjoy it? We planned April because we wanted nice weather, but many things will be inside anyway and maybe it will be less crowded. I just don't want it to miserable where we don't want to be outside at all to enjoy the monuments. Is about 5 or 6 days enough to hit the basics with 3dc (13,11 and 8)? I'm sure it would take weeks to REALLY see everything in depth, but hotels are cost-prohibitive for much longer and we will all just get burnt out. Any tips for a trip of this length, lodging recs and must-sees? What could we realistically do in 5 full days? Has anyone seen the Holocaust Museum? I went almost 30 years ago with my family, but I know a lot has changed with security and such for tours. Any input would be appreciated!

Although February can be cold in DC, you'll have less crowds to deal with, so that should make the visit much more enjoyable-- I vote for going then! And your kids are the perfect age for getting the most out of all the sights they will see... Here is my list of "should do's" for you:

1. Bureau of Printing and Engraving, free tour shows you how the money is printed

2. Library of Congress, take the free tour of the lovely building and its rich history

3. US Capitol, again a free tour that will explain a lot about our government

4. US Supreme Court, free tour that is wonderful. Also you can sit in on a court in session, check the website

5. Smithsonian Natural History Museum, although usually crowded, is a necessary stop for kids, nice IMAX

6. National Gallery of Art, look at their French Impressionists, Turner exhibit, Hopper exhibit, if you like art-- great gift shop and cafeteria in basement

7. Holocaust museum, very powerful, important visit. They had elderly survivors there when we visited, who would talk to children about their experiences. The first floor has a wonderful exhibit of a child's world through the Holocaust years.

8. Mall, walk to the Washington Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, WWII memorial, all on the mall. Each is beautiful and evocative.

9. White House, you may need to plan ahead for this, but of course you shouldn't miss it.

10. Air and Space Museum-- great fun for kids. Lots of full scale rockets and airplanes, IMAX films. Usually crowded, but at least it's free!

If you have more time and energy, I recommend the new Science Museum (great exhibit on infectious diseases, global warming and such). Also the National Building Museum, the National Postal Museum, the National Portrait Gallery-- all interesting places, depending on your level of interest. Also your kids might like the International Spy Museum, especially if you have studied the Cold War.

Remember that Arlington National Cemetary is very close, as is Mount Vernon (George Washington's home). Both are quite worth a visit. And Georgetown University, with its shops and galleries, is also fun.

Thank you for those suggestions! My 8yo ds LOVES money and coins, so the Bureau of printing and engraving would be awesome. I think we'll skip the art museum. I'm glad to hear that you liked the Holocaust Museum. Can all of those activities be done in 5 full days? Any suggestions for good things to do on the same day (close in location, time frame to visit). I am leaning towards Febuary, but I just have to convince my dh that we can put this together last minute! I know we have avoided spring break/Easter in April, but I hear school group crowds can get enormous in April and May. I could definitely do without that!

Hi Just,

I'm only 20 mins from DC. Come see me! lol

I'd take a couple of days and see the outdoor monuments (break it into two days) in the am, and the museums in the afternoons. Keep the am flexible so you can plan around the weather. The Lincoln Memorial is very close to the Vietnam Memorial, and you'll want to see the Korean one, too--it's the coolest, imo--huge soldiers with their biovac equipment, marching. Also make time to see the Roosevelt memorial.

My fav museums are the Natural History and the Air and Space. Both can take a whole afternoon (or a whole day, but I'd get sick of them). The American museum is closed, but some of the famous "stuff" is temporarily in the Air and Space museum. Break up two or three days in DC by coming to Mt. Vernon. It is very close, and you can spend a day there. They have a new, interactive educational center that has films to see (one even has effects; it "snows" during the Valley Forge scene, etc), and there's the Mansion, the barns, and the octagonal barn, and the slave quarters. Pretty cool. If you want to drive another 6 miles, we are on the grounds of George Washington's church, Pohick. Our colonial church has the box pews and the pulpit with the big sounding board over it. I'd be happy to show you around. There is a cemetary with very old stones and some civil war grafitti, too. But you can easily skip the church and just have fun at Mt. V! lol

Have fun! We love DC.

Oh, and you may even find something free to do at the Kennedy Center.

All those Washington museums are very close to each other, within two miles, I would say. You could probably pick up a recent guide book from the library that has good maps, but most of the museums are clustered close to the mall, so it really isn't too far from place to place, even to walk. Of course the real problem will be fatigue! In five days you can see a lot, but you might exhaust everyone... we're pretty energetic, but can only face two or at most three sights in a day!

Also, don't forget the National Archives, which houses the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They have a nice auditorium in the basement where you can watch videos about the Archives and history (also free!). The one I remember was narrated by Ken Burns, and spoke of the wonderful heritage of historical documents that we Americans have to share. Nice!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Come, come, jump in the water is fine! :) Seriously, DC has some freaky weather so sometimes February is a beast and sometimes it isn't...I am 20 minutes away at the weather can change on my drive into DC.

Everyone has listed some great things to tour. All of the museums surround the mall and kids really love the National History and Air & Space. Honestly, the National History can take all day as I have spent all day there. The outdoor scuplture garden is unbelievable.

Just about everything mentioned as an online site with all the info for tours and maps and the like. School groups are always present but they are usually more present in the warmer months, so you should be okay. Talk to your local Representative or Senators office for some great passes to the gallery and the like at the Capitol as the lines can be very very long. Some offices have interns that do private tours.

To keep your food bill reasonable you will have to walk a few blocks to where all the workers eat but you will find all the dining spots.

As for lodging, of course staying in DC can be pricey but don't be afraid of the Metro. It will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go so even if you stay in VA or MD stay near the Metro so you can get around because you will not want to drive yourself nor will you want to have to look for parking. You can even catch the MARC commuter train to Baltimore to check out the Inner Harbor, Aquarium, Science Center, Holocaust Memorial and other sites if you wanted to break out of the city for a day.

Enjoy your trip, it will be a blast.

Thank you for those suggestions! My 8yo ds LOVES money and coins, so the Bureau of printing and engraving would be awesome. I think we'll skip the art museum. I'm glad to hear that you liked the Holocaust Museum. Can all of those activities be done in 5 full days? Any suggestions for good things to do on the same day (close in location, time frame to visit). I am leaning towards Febuary, but I just have to convince my dh that we can put this together last minute! I know we have avoided spring break/Easter in April, but I hear school group crowds can get enormous in April and May. I could definitely do without that!

You have to get in line really early to get tickets to the Bureau of Engraving. I would TOTALLY recommend it, but they only have a certain amount of tickets that they give away and you have to get there early. I personally would vote for waiting until April. It is so nice to be able to stroll around the monuments. There is quite a bit of walking outside from place to place and when we went the first week of April we saw the amazingly gorgeous cherry blossoms. I loved WA DC!!

One other thought. If you want to get into certain places you need tickets from your Representative or Senator. I don't know if they could get them for you so fast. You need them to see The White House tour, the Library of Congress (which is very cool), and the Capitol. I'd contact them soon and ask about tickets.