Menu

Do you think a 35 year old can learn to do a cartwheel?

Guest submarines

I've been wondering about this too, as I was teaching DD (mostly via youtube). I had a distinct feeling that I'd collaps and break my neck. On my ambitious days I think that I should work out really hard for a year, and then attempt it again.

I could do them as a kid. I've even done them in the last ten years. My biggest concern trying one now would be my lack of flexibility -- that since I haven't been stretching regularly, I might pull a muscle. If I were planning to try one, I would need to do some good stretching nearly every day for about 2 weeks before trying.

Next, I'd definitely do it on the grass -- somewhere with a little give to the earth.

But I don't see why you couldn't learn, if you wanted to!

Honestly, I hate to be a downer, but it probably isn't a good idea! Maybe on a mattress or something? I've always been able to do a cartwheel, but the last time I did one was probably 5 years ago, and it was kind of scary! I can't imagine trying to start from scratch - seems like you could hurt yourself!

Which reminds me...last year I went to a party where, for some reason, a 45-year-old guy tried doing a cartwheel in the kitchen. His legs hit a table and he crashed onto the floor in a heap! Then a 40-year-old woman did a beautiful headstand. It looked SO easy! So when I got home around midnight, and after having had a margarita (or two), I decided to try it in our living room. OH MY GOSH. Bad idea. It was fine for the gal that had been doing it for years...but I put my head on floor and my legs straight up (and I mean without a wall or anything), and my legs didn't stay up. They whomped right over and I crashed onto my back. My husband came upstairs to see what had happened. I was laughing so hard, but was also in pain. When I explained that I was trying to do a headstand (at midnight in my party clothes), he just shook his head and said something like, "yeah, that's totally normal".

Word to the wise..

I have done cartwheels up until recently but then my shoulders starting giving me trouble. I forgot about it one day and did a wheel barrow race with my 7 yo. It wasn't a good idea, I am in my late 40s... So my point is, you can do it but make sure you are in very good shape before you try.

I taught my mom how to do them when she was in her early 40s. She wanted to learn so she could prepare to do lifts (she had taken up ballroom dancing). She did a few and now CAN do them, but she decided that in the end it wasn't a good idea, especially since she'd broken her wrist a couple years prior.

I could do cartwheels as a child, and I still can do a cartwheel now. It doesn't look as nice but my feet go over my head. I'm 37. However, the last time I tried, I ended up hurting my wrists; they just aren't up to holding this weight. Maybe if I lost my excess and were in better shape physically, but I don't expect to try again anytime soon.

Ha ha. You guys are scaring me.

What if I had a "spotter" or something?

I don't think it's the possibility of falling that sounds like the biggest issue! I think I'd do some serious pre-cartwheel training. AND get a spotter (one who won't laugh, tell, or post pics on facebook!! :tongue_smilie:).

I've never been able to do a cartwheel - even when I was a kid. Is it too late for me? :blush:

I should add that I'm not particularly agile or athletic in any way. But doing a cartwheel is on my "bucket list". Is it possible to learn as an adult? If so, how?

This makes me laugh! You have stolen my identity. I am the same age with the same limitations. I'd love to hear if you are successful. My MIL often impresses my dc with her cartwheel and handstand skills. If I could only be that cool...

Yes, I absolutely think you can do it! I would make sure you get in shape (if not already) and stretch as part of your routine. At my sons gymnastics school I have seen adults (and I don't mean "young" adults) teach themselves or have a private coach teach them to do all kinds of things. Cartwheels, back handsprings, beam, you name it. If you have a local gymnastics studio you could start by going to open gym. I know that injuries are always a worry, but that really can happen at any age or with any activity. At my karate studio I have seen all ages and belt levels get injured. So, I say go for it! Learn to cartwheel if it is on your bucket list.

Lesley

Hubby did it at 38 :lol:

Older ds took dance classes (tap and tumbling) for two years when he was 12 and 13. The second year hubs took the classes with him so he wouldn't be the only guy. Did the recital and everything brave man that he is and cartwheels were on the list.

I'm 34 and just did a cartwheel this month. I get the nerve up about once a year to see if I can still do it :) I didn't hurt after this most recent attempt, but I have been walking/running 3-5 miles most days. You could find a gym that would teach you, if would be the most safe way. They know how to stretch you and prepare you for the cartwheel. Good Luck!

I do a handful of cartwheels a year - I am almost 43. Usually, it's when it's a beautiful, warm day and I need to express some joy! It is almost always an impromtpu kind of thing and my friends just laugh...or roll their eyes. I showed dd8 last week. My question is why can't she do one? My three boys can do a cartwheel; she's my dancer and cannot. Weird. I've tried teaching her via youtube. Not working.

I agree with those who say to make sure you're in shape beforehand. I am usually a bit sore - especially my back.

I think you're awesome for wanting to try it. Good luck and have fun!! :D

Ha ha. You guys are scaring me.

What if I had a "spotter" or something?

I think you could learn, or at least have fun trying.

I can do a (very ugly) left handed cartwheel still (and I'm almost 36), and do them regularly for Judo (and I didn't start Judo until I was 31). I cannot do a right handed cartwheel to save my life, though--I really should practice but there is no time.

Guest submarines

That's mostly encouraging. :D

I could do them as a child, but I don't think my form was good. I remember practicing alone on a meadow, doing them over and over again. I couldn't really tell whether my body maitained the straight line position, or I was bent at the hips.

When I was teaching DD I had the impulse to just do it, but I chickened out. My writsts are weak, and my abs aren't in the greatest shape now. I wonder if I work out this winter....then maybe I could do it this summer. I could try taking a private lesson first.

Off to lose "the last 10lb" and do my core strengthening! :001_smile:

i've always been able to do them so i just did a few to see how it felt. make sure you stretch your legs out really well! that's where i felt it most. (i'm 35)

however, i just did some roundoff backhandsprings last summer on a tumble track, so i may not be the best example of a 35 yo.

And this woman, would certainly NOT be typical... here is Oksana Chusovitina at 33! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWMAB3F8tGE&feature=related

I showed dd8 last week. My question is why can't she do one? My three boys can do a cartwheel; she's my dancer and cannot. Weird. I've tried teaching her via youtube. Not working.

Funny this should come up, as I just did a cartwheel this morning. My 8 yo son did not believe that I could do it. Guess I showed him. To the OP: just clear out some furniture, or go outside. You won't get hurt from throwing yourself on the ground, but you might from hitting something on your way down there. You can think about it as left foot, left hand, right hand, right foot, or vice-versa, so practice that a few times, but the trick is really to throw yourself into it.

As for why Lisabee's 8 yo dancer can't do it, my guess is that you are teaching her right-footed and she is left-footed. I am right-handed, very, but I do cartwheels with my left foot first. So does my gymnast daughter. I am proud to say that I am the one who taught her to do a cartwheel after her first couple of gymnastics classes. She had obvious talent but couldn't do a cartwheel. I figured out that she was left-footed and had her doing them in about 10 seconds flat. Naturally, I take full credit for all subsequent gymnastics success..

Terri

I've never been able to do a cartwheel - even when I was a kid. Is it too late for me? :blush:

I should add that I'm not particularly agile or athletic in any way. But doing a cartwheel is on my "bucket list". Is it possible to learn as an adult? If so, how?

Worst case scenario you change your name to Hip(Replacement)Gal :D

Bill

YES. I have personally taught people older than you to do cartwheels. You just have to work up to it slowly. I will see what I can find on YouTube.

I am a former gymnast- I still do cartwheels at 48 and 50 lbs overweight. I did a cartwheel in the hospital hallway hours before giving birth when I was 35. LOL!

Funny this should come up, as I just did a cartwheel this morning. My 8 yo son did not believe that I could do it. Guess I showed him. To the OP: just clear out some furniture, or go outside. You won't get hurt from throwing yourself on the ground, but you might from hitting something on your way down there. You can think about it as left foot, left hand, right hand, right foot, or vice-versa, so practice that a few times, but the trick is really to throw yourself into it.

As for why Lisabee's 8 yo dancer can't do it, my guess is that you are teaching her right-footed and she is left-footed. I am right-handed, very, but I do cartwheels with my left foot first. So does my gymnast daughter. I am proud to say that I am the one who taught her to do a cartwheel after her first couple of gymnastics classes. She had obvious talent but couldn't do a cartwheel. I figured out that she was left-footed and had her doing them in about 10 seconds flat. Naturally, I take full credit for all subsequent gymnastics success..

Terri

Terri -

Well, of course, I am teaching her right-footed!! :D You know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion!

I also think she may be more motivated when I teach her again. She has recently gotten serious about dance and has practiced her splits for the last couple of weeks. She almost has them down. She understands that cartwheels (and other forms of tumbling) will help her in dancing. We'll see if she is more motivated tomorrow!

Thanks again for the advice! I'll be sure to let you know of my daughter's instant success. ;)

I've never been able to do a cartwheel. I don't know why, because I used to try really hard, but I have no skills. My kids have started gymnastics and I tried to see if I can do it enough to show them. I'm 33 and it didn't hurt at all but I still couldn't do it. I felt like I was doing a good enough job, but I showed DH and he laughed and showed me up with a better one- he's 44 and has bad knees and shoulders and could do one. Dagnabit. The kids were just being nice and telling me it was "pretty good." So, I'm of the opinion that if you are in average health it's probably fine to try, but maybe don't record it and play it back for yourself. You'll feel like you can do it, and that may be enough.

Now, I feel the need to practice cartwheels in my living room while everyone else is asleep. :lol:

OK- I did not find any YouTube videos I like for teaching adults. Most of the examples were people who could already do a cartwheel!

Anyway, before you start stretch your wrists. Get down on your hands and knees like one of your kids is going to get a horsey ride. Have your hands flat on the floor, and rock back & forth with increasingly more weight on your hands. Also stretch your legs- hamstrings and inner thigh (sit on the floor in a straddle, reach toward each leg and the middle.)

I will give you some steps, and work through them gradually. Master each one before advancing to the next.

Next, leave your hands on the floor and stick your butt up in the air. Feet should be flat on the floor now as well, knees kind of straight. Kind of like the "Downward Facing Dog" yoga pose, but shoulders more forward so they are above hands. (Like a cross between the above pose and the forward bend on this page.)

Next step- scissors handstand. Stand in a lunge- (google "gymnastics lunge" image)

put hands on floor in front of your front foot, transfer weight to hands. Pick back foot up off the floor and point it towards the ceiling. Switch feet so you are standing on the other foot, then stand up in a lunge on the other leg. Do this on both sides, so you can start figuring out which leg you will want in front for your cartwheel. Start off low, and work your way up to almost a handstand.

(I need to stop for a while- I'll try to write more tomorrow.)

Edited by PiCO

Guest submarines
OK- I did not find any YouTube videos I like for teaching adults. Most of the examples were people who could already do a cartwheel!

Anyway, before you start stretch your wrists. Get down on your hands and knees like one of your kids is going to get a horsey ride. Have your hands flat on the floor, and rock back & forth with increasingly more weight on your hands. Also stretch your legs- hamstrings and inner thigh (sit on the floor in a straddle, reach toward each leg and the middle.)

I will give you some steps, and work through them gradually. Master each one before advancing to the next.

Next, leave your hands on the floor and stick your butt up in the air. Feet should be flat on the floor now as well, knees kind of straight. Kind of like the "Downward Facing Dog" yoga pose, but shoulders more forward so they are above hands. (Like a cross between the above pose and the forward bend on this page.)

Next step- scissors handstand. Stand in a lunge-

put hands on floor in front of your front foot, transfer weight to hands. Pick back foot up off the floor and point it towards the ceiling. Switch feet so you are standing on the other foot, then stand up in a lunge on the other leg. Do this on both sides, so you can start figuring out which leg you will want in front for your cartwheel. Start off low, and work your way up to almost a handstand.

This is awesome! Thank you!

Who is brave enough to document it all so that we do have a video on youtube? :tongue_smilie:

Go for it! You "might get hurt" just getting out of the shower. It's a dangerous world.. Live a little :-) As physical feats go, a cartwheel is pretty tame and, in my opinion, safer than running. The odds of blowing out your knees doing a cartwheel are pretty low.

Personally, I'm toying with the idea of attempting a back handspring. I haven't done one in ten years. Now THAT is probably a stupid idea.

Next drill- find something solid that is about 1 foot off the ground, and about 2 feet wide. A tree stump or a solid low table would work well. (You are going to eventually do what the kids are doing over mats in

.)

Did you decide which foot you want to start with? If you're not sure, just pick one. In my experience, there is no correlation between being right handed and using your right foot on a cartwheel, so don't worry about that. Try it on both sides if you're not sure.

You want to start off doing a scissors handstand (previous drill) with your hands on the raised surface. Don't worry about getting to vertical- about 45 degrees short of vertical is fine for now. After you feel good doing the scissors handstand, start doing it in a triangle shape... if you are using your right foot in front, put your hands on the raised surface, kick your left leg up behind you, then your right leg, and land on your left leg on the other side of the triangle.

(diagram of triangle as viewed from above...)

hands on raised surface

right foot left foot

is what you are going for. (Why couldn't I find that yesterday?)

as you start to feel more comfortable with it, kick your legs up higher and higher, and go in a straighter line. Then start using a lower surface for your hands, and when you feel ready try it on the floor!

shows a woman who is ready to do a cartwheel on the floor.

Take a video and post it on YouTube!

Pam - thank you for adding more info! Will this work for dd8?

She doesn't keep her arms straight and collapses while trying a cartwheel. Are her wrists weak? Or is she just unaware of how do it?

Thank you for your detailed instructions!

Edited by lisabees

sure, but you'd also need to do workouts that would increase flexibility and coordination - e.g. yoga/gymnastics.

PiCO, you are really giving me hope now! I think I could do one step at a time like that.

In other news, I found an adult's gymnastics class nearby. But then when I read closer it said for ages 18-23. :glare:

Alright, off to look for props to practice on. :D

Pam - thank you for adding more info! Will this work for dd8?

She doesn't keep her arms straight and collapses while trying a cartwheel. Are her wrists weak? Or is she just unaware of how do it?

Thank you for your detailed instructions!

Should work for your daughter. Doing the scissors handstands, starting off low and concentrating on keeping her arms straight will help her get the feeling and build her strength (if that's the problem.) The problem is probably not her wrists, but her arms and shoulders.

PiCO, you are really giving me hope now! I think I could do one step at a time like that.

In other news, I found an adult's gymnastics class nearby. But then when I read closer it said for ages 18-23. :glare:

Alright, off to look for props to practice on. :D

Call the gymnastics place and ask. They are probably worried about older adults getting injured, but if you just want to learn a cartwheel they might let you go to the class for a while.

You can do it!

Guest submarines

PICO: would you know what to work on for a 9yo who has her arms straight, her hands properly aligned while on the ground, but her body is not perfectly straight (legs not above her hips, but at an agnle?) and her legs are bent at the knees, making her landing a bit awkward?

Is it her lack of flexibility, or someting else? Would a photo help to figure out what she should work on? She is very eager, but our local gymnastics place was of no help.

Thanks!

PICO: would you know what to work on for a 9yo who has her arms straight, her hands properly aligned while on the ground, but her body is not perfectly straight (legs not above her hips, but at an agnle?) and her legs are bent at the knees, making her landing a bit awkward?

Is it her lack of flexibility, or someting else? Would a photo help to figure out what she should work on? She is very eager, but our local gymnastics place was of no help.

Thanks!

I saw

when I was searching before. I think doing a cartwheel against a wall and stopping in the middle would help your daughter.

To get her legs straight, have her think about pushing off the ground at the beginning of the cartwheel. She doesn't want to jump onto her hands... her hands should be on the ground when she pushes off her legs.

Here's a couple drills-

1. Jump straight up in the air. Notice how your legs straighten when you jump. Now try to jump without straightening your legs- doesn't work so well, does it?

2. Put hands on raised surface- tree stump, rock, etc. Pretend you are going to kick to a handstand with your hands on the raised surface (don't really go all the way to a handstand.) Start in a lunge with the leg in front you want in front for your cartwheel, kick other leg up behind you and push off your front foot, concentrating on straightening each leg as you push off the ground.

3. Do the scissors handstand drill in a previous post, concentrating on straightening legs.

I'm so sorry your local gym was no help!

Should work for your daughter. Doing the scissors handstands, starting off low and concentrating on keeping her arms straight will help her get the feeling and build her strength (if that's the problem.) The problem is probably not her wrists, but her arms and shoulders.

Okay - we have done the scissors handstand. I thought it would be easy, but it wasn't!! She is getting better, although she can't stay up in the air as long as I can and comes bounding down with a thud! She is now walking around with 3 lb weights to strengthen her arms - too funny!

Thank you so much. I'll keep you posted!

Of course you can! Now, that being said, I don't know your physical condition - as in, are you physically proportionate, overweight, obese, etc. If you are obese then you need to consider and really try losing a considerable amount of weight. This is for everyone's safety. If you are relatively physically fit (athletic or no), find someone, as a previous poster said, that has a good amount of gymnastics training and enlist their assistance.

Have FUN!