Menu

LLBean winter jackets "warmth" rating.

Has anyone actually bought a jacket/coat/parka from LLBean based on the warmth rating? Did you find it to be accurate for you?

I do not live in the frozen north and it's a good thing. I get cold enough down here below the Mason-Dixon line! Based on their temperatures listed, I should be able to get by with a "warm" jacket. But will it actually keep me warm? It's not like I'm out in the cold all that much. But I do ski once or twice a season and if we get snow, we do out and play in it. Most of the time a jacket gets me from the house to the car and then the car to the store/church/house.

The other thing is I still equate warmth with heavy. I have this disconnect that something that only weighs an ounce will not keep me warm. I need something that weighs 2 pounds or more. (Exaggeration but it gets the point across.)

Heaven forbid DH move me somewhere that is actually gets cold!

Does LLBean still have those 2-piece coats, where the liner is also a jacket. That might be the thing for you. Then sometimes you where inner liner and sometimes you zip them together. My oldest has an adult version of this and my youngest has the kid version (his coat has seen multiple seasons through multiple kids). I'm in Virginia. Right now the boys are only using part of the coats. In another month they will zip the whole thing together.

If you are warm enough sitting in a car in a jacket, then when you are actively skiing or playing in snow you will be more than warm! Up here in Illinois a Land's End squall jacket is enough for all but the coldest days (below 20) esp. if I have a warm scarf on, too (under the jacket!). I imagine a "warm" L.L. Bean would be the same. I actually get too hot in my squall when shoveling snow etc.

Does LLBean still have those 2-piece coats, where the liner is also a jacket.

Dh and ds1 have these and they're plenty warm for living in GA. Most of the year they get by just wearing the fleece part.

ETA: The jackets are the men's version of the Storm Chaser linked above.

Edited by Cinder

Last winter I bought a 3/4 length Ultrawarm Coat. The warmness rating on it is 0 through -50 degrees. I've never felt toasty warm in that coat. The sleeves are especially thin -- they have very little down in them.

What really, really does keep me warm are heavy Polartec jackets. It would be better to buy an Insulated Fleece Jacket or a Wind Challenger Fleece Jacket than one of L. L. Bean's skimpy down jackets or coats. Plus, you can wear Polartec jackets inside the house and then outside.

I JUST bought this coat, two weeks ago....

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68226?feat=610-GN1

The comfort range says 20 degrees to -30 degrees. I think it will most definitely keep me warm and toasty at 20 degrees.... at -30???? I would have to have on a lot more than the jacket! Like, a turtleneck/sweater combo, the coat, gloves and earmuffs... then I would be plenty warm :)

I live near the Mason-Dixon line too, and I think it will work great for me and the type of weather we have.

This is the first LL Bean coat I have bought. I am extremely pleased with it. It was pricey, but the quality is top notch, I think it will last for YEARS. It's not big and bulky at all. Plus, it's a 3-in-1 so I can wear the shell, or the liner, or both together. They zip up nicely together, you can't even tell it's a 3-in-1.

There are pockets all over it, inside and out, which I love, and it's waterproof.

Love my coat :)

I have had several LLBean coats over the years. I usually buy the warmest one I can find.

According to their website:

Our comfort ranges are based on tests simulating a 28-year-old man of average build wearing appropriate layers. When a range is shown, the first temperature indicates the product's comfort rating during light to moderate activity, such as walking slowly. The second temperature indicates the comfort rating during moderate activity, such as jogging a short distance or snowshoeing. When selecting outerwear or footwear, please consider your personal response to cold, your activity level and local weather conditions.

I took that to mean that standing around a playground would need a warmer coat than advertised, as I would never be jogging in a winter coat. YMMV.

Last winter I bought a 3/4 length Ultrawarm Coat. The warmness rating on it is 0 through -50 degrees. I've never felt toasty warm in that coat. The sleeves are especially thin -- they have very little down in them.

I think you should return this and tell them the problem. I have a "0 to -50" down coat and the sleeves are warm and thick.