Menu

By high school, how much of your dc's work are you outsourcing?

And approx how much is it costing to do it? (I know it will vary widely)

We've always hs'ed, and now I'm gathering information before deciding to do classical school or school at home for high school.

My dc is only in middle school and I am unable to answer a lot of the questions or help enough. (especially writing, math, etc.) I just can't be the expert in every course for every year!

I realize I will have to outsource a ton from here on out, and considering classical school rather than piecing it all together; it's just too overwhelming. We'd both like to keep hs'ing though :(

In 9th grade, I outsourced 3 classes. Online classes tend to average $500/yr.

In 10th grade, I am outsourcing 2 classes to CC (free! except for books), 2 classes to PS (free), and 2 classes online.

For 11th and 12th, I foresee 1 online class per year (no decent history at CC or PS). I hope to increase CC, decrease PS.

Definitely cheaper than the $15,000/yr private school tuition around here.

HTH!

My ds is in Grade 9, and it is our first year outsourcing. He is basically taking all of his courses for credit with various distance schools. We decided to try classes from a variety of schools to give ds experience with different formats, to try them out so we don't put all our eggs in one basket and end up dissatisfied, and also to vary the level of difficulty and expectations for different courses (not all difficult or all easy).

It cost us about $3500 for everything this year. It would have been more if we had gone with a high-end school for all his classes, and cheaper if we had stuck with only less-expensive schools. Doing a mix, this is what we ended up with. We'll see what we decide to do next year.

We only have outsourced the foreign language (two 4-unit college semesters) as dual enrollment at the local community college, with each DS doing that in 12th grade. Our state does NOT have a dual enrollment assistance program, so the total cost for us it out of pocket -- about $265 per class per semester.

Then there is also the cost of books. Older DS took Spanish, which also cost $175 for books and an online access "key" that was required, as much of the homework for both semesters was only available/completed online. Younger DS is currently taking American Sign Language, with books/DVD coming out to about $75 for this semester, and hopefully he will use the same ones for his second semester.

Total for 2 credits high school/8 units college Spanish = $700

Total for 2 credits high school/8 units college ASL = $600 (so far)

The only helpful point: we CAN use the DSs educational savings bonds and IRA account monies to pay for it -- AND, the classes are counting towards college requirements.

In comparison, private high schools here run anywhere from $9500 to $20,000 PER YEAR. Our state does have a "tax credit" program, which allows you to ask everyone you know to write a check for up to $1000, which comes off the "donating" family's state income tax, so if you are aggressive enough, and know enough people who could allow you to in essence "borrow" up to $1000 for 3 months (check has to be received by end of December of one year, and then is refunded to you in the following spring's income tax return), you can conceivably afford to have your child attend a private school....

To make educating high school at home not feel overwhelming, we looked for some programs the DSs would be able to do without a heavy amount of my involvement. For example, math with a DVD component. A few courses based around a series of Teaching Company lectures. Sometimes we counted hours done in an extracurricular activity where learning occured toward a class credit (for us, that was involvement in Youth & Gov't program counting towards gov't class). And then there are many programs written to the student (Excellence in Literature, Lightning Literature, Analytical Grammar, etc.), requiring little involvement from you. And some programs are almost "scripted" -- something like Omnibus or Tapestry of Grace is rigorous and has all the questions and assignments for your history, worldview, and writing right there for you as the instructor...

Cost of homeschooling high school: we ended up spending about $1200-1400 total per year for TWO high school DSs -- about $600-700 per DS per year -- (I was able to find a lot used, or sometimes borrow/trade with others), and that includes all of their extracurricular fees, field trips, student matinees, etc. This year, with just one, and able to reuse a lot, other than the community college course, it's cost us virtually nothing. If you take the time to search, you can also find quite a few FREE online tutorials, helps, textbooks, video lectures and supplements, etc. which can help your student work fairly independently, but give them some "instruction" from an expert.

In the end, I am SO glad we mostly were at home through high school! The blessing of close relationship, learning together (which is what doing Algebra 2 with younger DS was like!!), the discussions... we would never have had all of that if we had outsourced or sent them off to school. I know it's not for everyone, but I've loved homeschooling our high schoolers -- AT HOME! :) BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Lab science courses, $40/month (weekly 2 or 2.5 hour classes)

For one dc, a literature analysis course that focused on writing lit analysis essays, $40/month (weekly 2 hour class)

Community college courses - various classes, but I can't tell you how happy I was to let the cc teach my dc math! Some of these classes were free because of dual enrollment, but once my dc enrolled as regular students, we paid $60 - $100 per class, depending on the number or units, plus the book. Sometimes the cc class cost about the same or less than teaching it at home, and was less expensive than having another person teach it. CC courses have included psychology, lab sciences, math courses, foreign languages, Western Civ, U.S. History, English, Speech (public speaking), Child Development, world history, and PE.

My eldest will be completely outsourced beginning next year in 9th grade. I'm a little bit sad about that, but I will still supplement several of the classes and this is what she needs.

Half of her high school classes will be at the community college. We have dual enrollment so she will earn her AA there. The classes are free but we must purchase the books. Approximately one fourth will be through Florida Virtual School which is free. And the rest of the classes will be through a couple of online programs that offer classes we want that are not available through the other two schools. These classes range from $125 per year to $600 per year depending on the school. Most of my supplementing is in the form of literature/additional reading, lectures (Teaching Company or open courseware) and discussion.

The total cost to us should be around $1500 per year.

Edited by Melissa B

For my oldest I didn't outsource anything until a college level English class at our local cc his senior year. It cost us $630 + books.

Middle son I had take Effective Speaking and Microbiology w/lab at the CC his junior year (cost $1500 + books) and English his senior year (cost $670 + books).

Otherwise, I'm fine with at home high school level work. I work in our local high school so I feel reasonably prepared for what they need to do to match them (we tend to exceed them since the high school isn't exactly stellar).

This yr my oldest (senior) has outsourced Calculus (Veritas), Physics ( Derek Owens and German (potters). Veritas & Potters run about $500/class + books, I can't remember the price for Physics, but it's monthly. I only teach her English and Govt. English I can teach easily, govt is a subject that she just won't use much, so we're low key with it.

My youngest (10th) takes American Hy through Film from Potters School, Chemistry, Algebra 2 and Model UN through our local co-op. These are all about $220/yr and are well worth it.

They're both benefiting from having experts teach them math and science.

For 9th this year, somewhat. We're doing math and Bible at home. It's been mixed. Frankly I could have done the literature and science, but the debate and economics/government have been good and the schedule works for us as a family. Latin has been outstanding (different provider). Tuition has been about $1100.

For 10th and up with this student, we're planning to outsource Latin, literature, and history. Tuition will be zero because I teach there. :001_smile:

And I'm figuring the same for the next one, although it isn't written in stone yet.

I've liked outsourcing for the interaction and in subjects where they're beyond me. Downside is that the teacher may or may not be better than you and/or have high expectations. Outsourcing in previous years was mixed, but I know more than I did about picking teachers.

Edited by GVA

We outsource most courses (online) for our oldest and it costs approximately $1400. It has worked well for us so far. I suspect with my younger one I'll be looking for group classes offered locally rather than online which might cost slightly more. We have a classical school near that offers solid courses in History, English, Art, etc but not for Science and Math.

HTH!

My 11th grade son is taking Spanish online with Oklahoma State ($389), physics online with Apologia Academy ($475), and a once a week class for Bible, English/Literature/writing, history, and government; the teacher also supplies the assignments for each week ($550). This is just the cost of the classes, not the books, etc.

My 9th grader does everything at home with me, but I did sign him up for a two day Landry Academy biology lab intensive in the spring ($170).

Both boys take a weight training class at the high school (free!)

I plan to continue to outsource science and foreign language in the years ahead, and possibly writing.

My son that has graduated did German I and II online with Oklahoma State, and then his senior year took Calc. I and II, statistics, and macroeconomics at the University of Central Missouri, which cost a total of $3534, not counting books. That was for 16 credit hours of university level work for which he was given full credit at Auburn. This was a great experience for him and well worth the expense.

Good luck with your plans!

Kirsten

We didn't have the option of outsourcing except on-line, ps, & dual enrollment.

Dd#1 took 1.5 credits on-line (FLVS)--Spanish I & Business Tech. She took full load @ the cc so finished her AA @ 18. Both were free except for books at the cc.

Dd#2 took full load @ cc finishing w/58 credits. Again, free except books.

Of course it is going to depend a lot on the child and on their abilities. What worked best for us was to do a combination with a little bit of a lot of different stuff. Typically that included one online course (sometimes free sometimes for a free), one college course, parent led, self directed courses - set up by mom and minimally supervised but mostly the student working on their own, meeting with unpaid mentors, and using community resources such as clubs, etc. It was through this balance of different approaches that we found something that was affordable and felt good. Any more than one or two online courses a semester and it felt lonely and frustrating at our house, but kids are different on this.

My ds is in 9th and he is taking two online courses, Latin and computer science (totaling about $1200). Next year I will add AP chemistry online and I will eventually have him take calculus (either online or at cc), as well as AP physics (son is science/math oriented). I am using TOG for history/lit/bible and so far this is going very well. I think it just depends on what is best for you and your family :001_smile:. Blessings!

For my daughter, we outsourced two or three courses a year. However, most of the ones we used were from FLVS (Florida Virtual School), which is free to us as Florida residents. If we hadn't had access to that, we probably would have skipped much of the outsourcing.

For my son, I anticipate outsourcing much less. This year, he is doing Spanish 1 with FLVS, and that's it. He'll probably do Spanish 2 next year. He might do another math class or two in the next couple of years.

For us, using FLVS for any classes actually cuts our homeschool spending, since I would be buying curricula for those subjects if we didn't have FLVS available. But, as I said, it's just a convenience. If we didn't have FLVS, we would probably outsource fewer subjects.

9th grader takes Physical Science at Coop $147/year plus books ($80 new)

Private Art Classes $60/month (this is what she thinks she wants to do long term)

PE - community Volleyball League ($95/month) about 6 months involvment in the league.

Next year I am thinking:

Biology Coop (approx. $150/yr plus books)

Art ($60/month)

Geometry online with Jann in TX (I forgot the price I think $50/month)

maybe a 9 week writing class with WriteAtHome ($147)

maybe community athletics again

I don't want to even add up the total. :001_huh:

Just adding to the voice of "you can do most of it at home," and the extra $$$ doesn't have to be much more than what you'd be spending if they were in public school.

First homeschooled high schooler:

Took French 3 & 4 at public school, free

Did spend $$$ on flute-related activities & theater

Second homeschooled high schooler:

So far just outsourcing extras like YMCA phy ed (youth rate about $35/month), book club (free), and math team ($30/month). We're doing all core classes at home in 9th & 10th. Will probably outsource a little in 11th & 12th, but we're looking at dual enrollment which is state funded in MN.

Julie

11th grader

Spanish at CC 120

Racquetball at cc 40

AP Chemistry 625

AP Government 450

Total- 1,235

9th grader

Spanish at CC 120

Racquetball 40

APGov 450

Total 610

It has been worth every penny. My 11th grader is doing an SAT prep class at co-op...cost like 50 I think. Not putting it on transcript. 9th grader has my literary analysis class and then Biology labs at co-op...each of which was nominal...maybe 20 bucks a semester or something.

Christine

For my older son, I became mostly just a mediator, because he wanted/needed other voices than just mine. His ninth grade year he took 3 dual credit courses, 2 high school correspondence courses, and I had him in a co-op for some other things, like SAT test prep, theatre company, journalism, etc. He accomplished PE through his year-round swimming and a number of other sports related lessons they took, too.

If the younger one stays home next year, I actually have all his courses planned. So anything group oriented that we pick up will be extras for fun, or we'll invite people in to participate in at least some of the things we're doing at home....

It really just depends on the child and what they need/want at a given age....

Cost for outsourcing is going to vary widely by area and by group used to accomplish that. PA Homeschoolers AP classes are expensive. At least some dual credit options are still expensive (and by that I mean several hundred dollars per class), but may be less expensive than some AP options. You really just have to shop around for the right type of class that you think will be a good fit for your child, then see what it costs and decide if you can swing such a thing.

If you have expertise in an area, you might be able to work with other moms to trade off classes, with you teaching something you're good at and others teaching something they're good at. You'd need to know that you could count on everyone to pull their weight in such a scenario, of course....

There are free, open courseware university courses out there now, but I don't know if they include answers to questions so that you could check your work, etc.

There are things like Hippocampus and Khan Academy for maths....

There are a number of online writing programs available, with varying costs. These are generally not as expensive as some of the high school or dual credit level lit classes I've looked at, however....

We have pretty consistently outsourced sciences and foreign languages in high school. 75% of the time it's free for us (public school or public online school). Once, we had to pay ($500 for a class for the year). Sometimes I've wished I outsourced math too... My kids are heavily into the arts, so math never seemed a big deal. But, they are bright kids, and sometimes I feel I cheated them by teaching math myself, when I'm not a very math-y person.

For my older two, the only outsourcing has been at the cc.

oldest for 11th grade took Intro to Psychology, Drawing I and II, Japanese I and II at the cc

oldest for 12th grade took Digital Imaging I, English I and II, Japanese III, Elementary Statistics, Trigonometry, General College Physics I, and Introductory Chemistry at the cc

middle for 11th grade has taken/will take Intro to Psychology, English I and II, Spanish I and II.

next year for 12th, I expect that she will take Fundamentals of Programming, Biology I and II for science majors, Chemistry I and II for science majors, Government I and II, and two math classes (probably Trig and Calc I, but depends on where she places at that point).

Youngest is still in 8th grade this year, but she will likely continue with weekly guitar lessons and sewing lessons. She would love to also do photography lessons, but those are apparently hard to find right now. She wants photography in a weekly class with other teens.

My children have a 1 day a week homeschool class through public schools. They take classes like drama, pe, art, etc. I usually have them take one class a year that is more academic, at most 2. Dd is taking sign language this year, and has taken intro computer classes and geography. It costs $40 a year, they provide a transcript for the classes taken there.

We do have the option of doing dual enrollment through this program.

We do everything else at home.

We outsource a lot for high school. If I only had one, I could probably keep up with most subjects. Even though I have a college degree, they are usually beyond me by then. They do benefit from having teachers who are experts in their subject and having firm outside deadlines. We usually co-op with other families to do literature and some history. But, but junior year, they are only doing a couple things with me. We use online classes from Regina Coeli Academy, PA Homeschoolers, plus college classes from our local LAC. For my oldest (who will be taking 5 college classes), it is pretty expensive - $3500. That is still less than private school and he will have 27 hours of college classes and 4 AP classes.