Menu

Reupholstering seat of dining room chair - foam question

I removed the fabric and foam from our dining room chair and took the seat to our local upholstery shop. They suggested 2" high-density foam and webbing. I reupholstered one of the chairs this morning and the cushion looks so high. After researching on the internet, most of the do-it-yourself articles suggest using 1" or 1 1/2" foam.

I am thinking I should try to cut the foam down a bit but that would be a little tricky with my electic carving knife - LOL!

Has anyone attempted this project? Do you remember what you used?

Thanks!

I removed the fabric and foam from our dining room chair and took the seat to our local upholstery shop. They suggested 2" high-density foam and webbing. I reupholstered one of the chairs this morning and the cushion looks so high. After researching on the internet, most of the do-it-yourself articles suggest using 1" or 1 1/2" foam.

I am thinking I should try to cut the foam down a bit but that would be a little tricky with my electic carving knife - LOL!

Has anyone attempted this project? Do you remember what you used?

Thanks!

We used 2" foam, and I actually wish I'd gone with either a thicker foam or a more dense foam. They do squish down after they've been used for a while. Did you make sure you got the fabric pulled nice and tight over the foam?

Thank you so much for your response. I was getting ready to go buy thinner foam today.

I pulled the fabric as tight as possible, but the foam is so dense it didn't go down at all. Matter of fact the edges are square not nice and rounded at all. I didn't realize that I was suppose to put 1/2 Dacron batting between the fabric and foam to give it the nice round look.

I am going to going to pick up the batting today and will try again with the 2" foam. Maybe with rounded edges it will look much better.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you so much for your response. I was getting ready to go buy thinner foam today.

I pulled the fabric as tight as possible, but the foam is so dense it didn't go down at all. Matter of fact the edges are square not nice and rounded at all. I didn't realize that I was suppose to put 1/2 Dacron batting between the fabric and foam to give it the nice round look.

I am going to going to pick up the batting today and will try again with the 2" foam. Maybe with rounded edges it will look much better.

Thanks for the feedback.

How did you get it on? What's worked best for me is to lay the fabric on the floor, wrong side up, then lay the foam on that (or, in your case, batting, then foam), put the wood bottom on it, and then kneel on the wood to compress it while securing the fabric. That brought the edges of the parlour chairs into a nice, rounded shape.

I've been trying to reupholster our couch the past two months, and it's been one frustrating setback after another (everything from my own learning curve to one of the children puking on ALL of the fabric during cut-out! Blech!) I've been surprised at how integral the batting is in keeping things in place, helping the cushions to look nice, and slowing down the wear and tear on the foam underneath.

Be sure to post how it works for you today!

Dy

Hi Dy -

I am finally responding to your post......

I can not believe your dc got sick on your sofa fabric. Ugh! Kudos to you for attempting to reupholster a sofa. I know it will be worth it when you are done.

When I was a child my Mom took an upholstery class and reupholstered our family room chair. I thought she was so clever and it was my favorite chair because of all the work she put into it.

I am sorry to say that the upholstery gene did not get passed on to me because, after many tries with the staple gun, I took my dining room chair seats to the professionals this week.

I just wanted to post a reply and thank you for all the advice. I am off to start my next project - sewing living room curtains. Hope this goes better than the dining room chair project.

Please let us know when you finish your sofa and I would love to see a picture if you have time to post.