Menu

K12 vs. Connections Academy for K5

serabi

I've only used K12 -- good curriculum, very classical ed friendly. I looked at connections and K12 and chose K12 because it is a "mastery"curriculum, meaning you do it until you get it rather than getting a grade and "moving along". Grading in elementary is purely by %age completed. CA is a more traditional teachers assign grades sort of thing. I found K12 more adaptable to asynchronous learners.

That said, I think it really depends on the quality of the VA administering the curric. I'd try to talk to folks using both K12 and CA in GA and see what they have to say.

We used a k12 VA last year for K and 1st (and again this year for 1st and 2nd). K was a lot of fun - especially when you remember you do NOT have to do everything shown in the lesson, just what they need to meet the objectives.

We love that it is mastery based and kids can go at their own pace. My 2nd grader is about ready to go up to all 3rd grade classes (and 5th grade math). My 1st grader is staying on track for some classes and ahead for others. We noticed a definite slowdown once their level was found.

I haven't used Connections either but have used K12 for kindergarden and loved it. It was fun and I made it even more enjoyable with making lapbooks with the literature story books. I've been toying with the thought of doing K12 one more time but am kind of burned out from virtual schooling at the moment and are trying our own stuff this time. I've used K12 for K, 1, 4,5,6 and my absolute faves were K and 1.

Guest pokeypup5

I've used k12 for grades k-4th now and we love it. I really would check out the quality of the virtual school though. My virtual school is great and I have a lot of flexibility in what I can do. Some virtual schools can be very restrictive and pretty much kill the curriculum. I know a mother on another website who used k12 for her daughter. They actually expected her 6 year child to be taught over the computer by a teacher for some of the subjects. So her daughter would waste 50 minutes of time on the computer while a teacher taught the math lesson. The mother would then have to do the lesson over again for obvious reasons. Stupidest set up ever and she quickly pulled her child.