Menu

Cigna or United Healthcare?

Would you choose Cigna or UHC?  

1. 1. Would you choose Cigna or UHC?

• Cigna
    • United Healthcare

We have new choices for benefits this year. Basically, there are only 2 choices. They cost the same and the coverage levels are the same. Our only decision is whether to choose Cigna or United Healthcare. Which would you choose? We have had Aetna for the last 4 years, so I have no real experience with either of these companies.

Oh, and I have to make a choice tonight! Nothing like putting it off til the last minute, huh? ;) Thanks for your help!

We have new choices for benefits this year. Basically, there are only 2 choices. They cost the same and the coverage levels are the same. Our only decision is whether to choose Cigna or United Healthcare. Which would you choose? We have had Aetna for the last 4 years, so I have no real experience with either of these companies.

Oh, and I have to make a choice tonight! Nothing like putting it off til the last minute, huh? ;) Thanks for your help!

I've had both in the past year (and Aetna.. and BCBS..). Our coverage with UHC was better, but Cigna has been more "organized". Statement of benefits is easier to decipher. All of our UHC satements went to email and DH never prints them. We've had several medical issues the past year and no insurance problems.

ETA: UHC's coverage was only better because DH's then-company paid for a nicer plan. What things are covered is the same with both insurers.

Edited by BarbecueMom

I only know Cigna, and we are really happy with them. I have always been able to speak with a live agent, they walk me through everything and we have never been denied coverage and then had to appeal like many insurance companies. We have bent the rules at different times and there still wasn't a hassle once we submitted what we needed.

We have Cigna and have had multiple problems with them. We are currently in an appeals situation over a denial right now. I know nothing about United Healthcare as a consumer although they pay Providers relatively well compared with Cigna (we are on both sides of healthcare). I would avoid Cigna if I could.

I have experience with both companies. I suggest running away from UHC as fast as possible. CIGNA isn't perfect, but it is far more organized than UHC. Also, UHC constantly turned down claims, turned down all appeals with general form letters, refused to fill prescriptions, and I could never reach a living soul for assistance. We had their "top" plan and all I did was shell out thousands for "uncovered" care. Run away!

I have experience with both companies. I suggest running away from UHC as fast as possible. CIGNA isn't perfect, but it is far more organized than UHC.

Ack!! I can't even imagine anything less organized than Cigna. We've had claims denied because the Cigna people failed to select a provider from the drop-down menu!

I've had both, but the policies were very different so the experience was very different. When we had an HMO, it was very, very bad. Now we have a very expensive PPO and get excellent coverage and service. One was Cigna and one was UHC, but I think the main difference was in how much they cost. We've had Aetna too, and that wasn't a very pleasant experience either. :)

I've had UHC for 13 years now. Every year they will throw back the first claim of the year to see if we are covered under some additional insurance. Every year I call, talk to a real nice person and get it cleared up. This year we even had them pay a year old lab bill that had slipped through the cracks and gone to collections.

Check the list of preferred doctors, pharmacies, and hospitals and make sure both insurances are accepted at all the places you frequent, then toss a coin.

We have UHC. They paid everything according to contract during my cancer treatment earlier this year. There were a total of 3 claims/billing snafus - one that got re-processed before I even appealed (provider might have questioned it?), another that got fixed with a phone call, and another that got fixed with a faxed appeal form. So, really few problems with them considering they processed dozens of claims totaling about $70-80k.

There are plenty of network providers in my area for UHC. That would probably be my deciding factor, if I were you.

I didn't vote because I don't know anything about Cigna.

We have UHC. The only complaint I have is that they reguarly deny *my* claims, and have since dh and I married. The kids, fine. Dh, fine. Me...well, they haven't kicked back many in the past couple years, but it used to happen for about every other visit to the doctor. And I don't go to the doctor very often. They are pretty good about taking care of it quickly once dh called, but it got to be a hassle to call so often.

Cat