Menu

I love being in my early 40s, but I am achey. Is this normal?

I'm 43 and am not achy. The only time I started to be achy was when I let my thyroid levels go too low. I'm sure there are many reasons for achy muscles. It was just thyroid for me.

I just had my thyroid fixed, but it may not be completely fixed. My body is also not used to so much activity - which I love, but I'm sore later.

My friend was tired and achy. She's found she can't eat corn. She did an elimination diet thinking it was maybe a yeast thing. Then when she started introducing foods, she found that she reacted very strongly to corn. She's quit being achy.

I think the general consensus is that it isn't normal.

My friend was tired and achy. She's found she can't eat corn. She did an elimination diet thinking it was maybe a yeast thing. Then when she started introducing foods, she found that she reacted very strongly to corn. She's quit being achy.

I think the general consensus is that it isn't normal.

Hmm, okay. I'll be seeing my dr. soon. I'll ask her. I thought it was normal.

Hmm, okay. I'll be seeing my dr. soon. I'll ask her. I thought it was normal.

Achiness is a sign that something is wrong. Whether it is inflammation or something else going on, it is a signal that you have an underlying issue that needs to be resolved before it gets worse. We are really bad at letting little things slide when we really need to be proactive and stop them before it compounds.

This thread is making me nervous :confused:. I have been having joint aches for the past few years. Generally it's in my shoulders, elbows, wrists, and hips. I thought it was just what happens when you are in your late 30's. I have never had swelling, though, so I have never addressed it.

Elise in NC

This thread is making me nervous :confused:. I have been having joint aches for the past few years. Generally it's in my shoulders, elbows, wrists, and hips. I thought it was just what happens when you are in your late 30's. I have never had swelling, though, so I have never addressed it.

Elise in NC

It's your body telling you it has something unnormal occurring that needs to be addressed.

I'll agree not normal and in addition to the issues mentioned (thyroid may be your top suspect) I'll mention low vitamin D was my cause. If you'll do a blood test for thyroid anyway I'd go ahead and see if your doctor will run a 25 (OH) D level for you. You want a level in the 50's or above. The lab slip may call 30 normal and it's low so get your actual level.

I'll agree not normal and in addition to the issues mentioned (thyroid may be your top suspect) I'll mention low vitamin D was my cause. If you'll do a blood test for thyroid anyway I'd go ahead and see if your doctor will run a 25 (OH) D level for you. You want a level in the 50's or above. The lab slip may call 30 normal and it's low so get your actual level.

The 50 mark for Vit D is only for bone health not necessarily for other health issues. My dr's office wants it quite a bit higher than that.

The 50 mark for Vit D is only for bone health not necessarily for other health issues. My dr's office wants it quite a bit higher than that.

Vitamin D council recommends 50-80 as optimal. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-deficiency/am-i-vitamin-d-deficient/

That said, my doctor likes it in the top of that range or higher. Most people who test won't be anywhere near 50.

I think 50 is a good goal for health beyond just bones but I'd like to know if you know differently. I have a child who hovers in that low 50 range because he has absorption issues. If he needs to be higher I would really like to know. Do you have link?

Vitamin D council recommends 50-80 as optimal. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-deficiency/am-i-vitamin-d-deficient/

That said, my doctor likes it in the top of that range or higher. Most people who test won't be anywhere near 50.

I think 50 is a good goal for health beyond just bones but I'd like to know if you know differently. I have a child who hovers in that low 50 range because he has absorption issues. If he needs to be higher I would really like to know. Do you have link?

Don't have the link because I got the information from my dr's office about the 50 level being for just bone health not other health issues. Mine was 138 at one point with balanced calcium levels and they were pleased with that level.

Magnesium and Epsom Salts (which have magnesium)

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency:

• Arthritis
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Depression
  • Fatigue
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Headaches - anything that feels tight or cramp-like
  • Inflammation in the body and higher CRP levels
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability
  • Joint Pain
  • Leg Cramps
  • Menstrual cramps
  • Migraines
  • Muscle cramps or twitching or spasms
  • Palpitations
  • PMS
  • Restless Legs
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Spasms
  • Stress

HOW MUCH TO TAKE

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (and most of us are deficient), I would recommend more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

• Magnesium Citrate
  • Magnesium Glycinate
  • Magnesium Taurate
  • Magnesium Aspartate
  • Magnesium Malate
  • Magnesium Succinate
  • Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

• Magnesium Oxide
  • Magnesium Carbonate
  • Magnesium Gluconate
  • Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

NATURAL SOURCES

Almonds

Avocado

Barley

Beans

Brazil nuts

Brown rice

Buckwheat

Dark Chocolate

Dates

Figs

Garlic

Greens (including Collard Greens and Dandelion Greens)

Kelp

Molasses

Millet

Parsley

Pecans

Rye

Sea vegetables (seaweed and kelp – but make sure they come from non-polluted waters and are high-quality)

Shrimp

Walnuts

Whole Grains

Wheat bran

Wheat germ

EPSOM SALTS BATH

Taking a bath or a foot soak with Epsom salts is one of the best ways to increase the body’s absorption of magnesium. Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulfate and are easily absorbed by the body.

Take a hot bath with up to 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1 cup baking soda (optional) to help draw toxins out of the body. Try to do this once a week, but for no more than 20 minutes. A foot soak can also be very beneficial.

Epsom salts are so helpful in bringing relief to:

• Arthritis pain, stiffness, soreness, and tightness of joints

• Muscle aches, pains and tenderness

• Painful bruises, sprains and strains

• Pain from over exertion as a result of exercise

• Insomnia and Sleep Problems

• Stress

• Insect Bites and Splinters

REASONS FOR MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

Diets that are highly-processed and refined – mostly white flour, red meat, and dairy – none of these have magnesium. Food processing removes much of the magnesium (as well as other minerals) that’s naturally found in certain foods.

Antacids and other indigestion medicines disrupt magnesium absorption.

Modern farming practices deplete magnesium and other minerals in the soil.

Medications including diuretics, birth control pills, insulin, tetracycline and other antibiotics, and cortisone lead to magnesium deficiencies.

Too much calcium often leads to an imbalance . These two minerals need to be in balance.