Menu

Any experience with A Reading Program for Overcoming Dyslexia?

Hello all,

I just heard of a program today on another group called "A Reading Program for Overcoming Dyslexia," previously called a Workbook for Overcoming Dyslexia, by Cheryl Orlassino. It is based on the Orton-Gillingham approach and each lesson is scripted so it can be easily used by homeschoolers.

We have just started the Barton program, which is quite expensive and has many levels to purchase. I was just wondering if anyone on this board has actually used this program and would be willing to share their opinion/experiences. It seems pretty thorough and is very affordable.

Thanks!!

Michelle

I ordered A Workbook for Dyslexics by Cheryl Orlassino yesterday on Amazon. The book has good reviews so I thought I'd give it a shot.

This book is AMAZING!!! It is practical, efficient, easy-to-use, and best of all EFFECTIVE!!! This book is a rare find because it is all about actual teaching lessons! This book is for parents/teachers who want to dive right in and start teaching to help kids learn to read immediately!! My daughter's reading improved more by using this book than with any other tool we've used! The book is economical and simple, yet the results are worth their weight in gold! Buy this book and you won't be disappointed!!

• 1 year later...

My son has severe dyslexia. He only managed to get to page 22, then the workbook became too difficult and frustrating for him. I've found that my son needs TONS of practice, he can't do one page and move on. He needs lots of repetition.

He's at a point now where he could do the book again, but what we are currently doing seems to be working, so I'm not going to make any changes.

The book was not a miracle for us, like it was for some Amazon reviewers.

We are using a program for dyslexics called Reading Horizons Discovery (link: http://athome.readinghorizons.com/new-store/products.aspx?seg=RHD ) My son is 9 and we have been through a few programs, some of which worked better than others. He has made more progress in the last 6 months of this program than ALL of the others combined. It's not a "miracle" cure but it has been very effective for teaching how to process the words. It's very visual and hands on which works for my son but it doesn't require tons of prep time on my part (which means I love it too). Cost is a little prohibative but it has been worth it.

I did some assessment testing and found that my dyslexic son was severely lacking in phonics and word recognition. I found the Saxon Phonics Intervention Home Study Kit and purchased that. It is a very intensive and scripted program, but I really think it is going to do some good. I have only been using it for a week or two, so it is too early to tell, but I will definitely update when we get further along.

I wanted to try Susan Barton, but that price is just out of my range.

We have been working through the Barton program for the past year. It has helped my 9 yo daughter so much. I admit that I don't think the work is 'fun' and the stories aren't exciting. It is slow at first but picks up speed quickly and I'm glad we didn't skip anything. We work about 30 minutes a day. We are now nearing the end of book 5. For us, it has been worth the money. I have gotten support from the website (look at the 'for tutor's only' section) and I when I emailed Susan Barton directly I heard back immediately. She even asked me to call her and she spent time talking to me without asking for consultation fees. So, based on the success and support I'm glad we stuck with the Barton program.

I read the book Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz -- but I haven't seen "A Reading Program for Overcoming Dyslexia". I'd love to hear experiences with it.

We are using a program for dyslexics called Reading Horizons Discovery (link: http://athome.readin...ts.aspx?seg=RHD ) My son is 9 and we have been through a few programs, some of which worked better than others. He has made more progress in the last 6 months of this program than ALL of the others combined. It's not a "miracle" cure but it has been very effective for teaching how to process the words. It's very visual and hands on which works for my son but it doesn't require tons of prep time on my part (which means I love it too). Cost is a little prohibative but it has been worth it.

Reading Horizons sounds intriguing. Are you using the online program? My daughter is 10 and would probably use the upper level.

We have both the on-line and the hands on material. I LOVE the hands on material. The software, we have enjoyed but it doesn't work as well for my son as the hands on material (he tends to get distracted with on-line software). If your daughter is more independent or does well with on-line or computer based programs you could probably just use the software. They also have a program for older kids if the Discovery looks to "childish". If you are interested they have free webinar training so you can get an overview of the program. Here is the link for that (you do have to sign up using an e-mail but they aren't bad about the e-mails). Hopefully that gives you a better idea of the program and how it works.