Menu

What to see in Dc

Dh has meetings there this weekend so swimmer boy, 16 and I are tagging along to do some sight seeing.

NOW he and I have already been there and have seen a few sights already

and I want to know any info on seeing some of these places that you may give me too.

Things we have seen: FDR memorial, the Vietnam /Lincoln memorial, Congress, Indian musuem, air and space, washington monument, hmm I think there are others but I can't remember right now.

SO this is what I'm thinking right now and would like other suggestions too.

Arlington,

Holacaust Musuem

National archives

Library of Congress

Zoo

I really am looking for Free or very cheap things

SO this is what I'm thinking right now and would like other suggestions too.

Arlington,

Holacaust Musuem

National archives

Library of Congress

Zoo

We just returned from our first trip to DC. I highly recommend the National Archives. We purchased reserved tickets for first thing in the morning and had the chance to look at the Constitution all by ourselves!

One of the highlights for our dc was the Bureau of Engraving. We went there another day when they first opened.

Have a great time! :)

We just returned from our first trip to DC. I highly recommend the National Archives. We purchased reserved tickets for first thing in the morning and had the chance to look at the Constitution all by ourselves!

One of the highlights for our dc was the Bureau of Engraving. We went there another day when they first opened.

Have a great time! :)

eek there aren't any available tickets to the archives, yikes. guess we will get there early

The American History Museum (one of the Smithsonians) is very good. The botanical gardens are great if you like that kind of thing. I don't know if they do them on weekends, but a capital tour would be good, too.

Hope you have a fun trip!

we did see the capitol, I said congress but that is what I meant. We had a nice tour from our congressman's office

Two things not mentioned yet that I like are the National Gallery of Art and the National Portrait Gallery. They have some incredible pieces.

On the art museum do they have any one in particular that has more work there? We saw Picaso's work in Richomond and did a small study about him before we went

On the art museum do they have any one in particular that has more work there? We saw Picaso's work in Richomond and did a small study about him before we went

It would be hard to narrow down. They have so many incredibly famous works. We are talking artists from Audubon to Vermeer.

There are lists by category on the website, along with educational resources. Maybe that would help?

http://www.nga.gov/collection/

It would be hard to narrow down. They have so many incredibly famous works. We are talking artists from Audubon to Vermeer.

There are lists by category on the website, along with educational resources. Maybe that would help?

http://www.nga.gov/collection/

Thanks for the link.

I take a look. I feel like I am scrambling at the last minute for this trip. But I'll just have to let things be since I've only been back home for a week.

We loved the National Gallery of Art too. There was a nice cafeteria onsite, but we didn't eat there, so I have no idea of the selections or prices.

If you have the chance to get over to Georgetown, (we just walked), go to Sprinkles for a fantastic cupcake. Much better than DC Cupcakes, and a minimal wait, too. Cupcakes are ~$3.50, and the flavors are yummy!

Look for Julia Child's kitchen at the Smithsonian. We really loved this. The inaugural gown display was amazing too. Not sure your ds would like it as much, but you surely will.

Be prepared for spending $$ for food, unless you can find some cheap eateries. We paid ~$25 one evening for just two burgers, an order of fries and sodas from a popular burger joint close to the hill. If you find yourselves close to Union Station, there is a food court with lots of options, some of them not so expensive.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

We were there a month ago! :)

Our favorite was the Archives. We went on a Sunday and the lines were just fine. Busy but not horrible.

We're bummed that we didn't have time for an art museum.

On our way out of town we stopped at Arlington (minimal parking fee). Be sure to plan at the very least two hours. There is so much to see and also to plan time just to stop and take it all in. Very moving and humbling.

We can't wait to go back!! There is so much more we want to do. :)

Our favorite was the Archives. We went on a Sunday and the lines were just fine. Busy but not horrible.

On our way out of town we stopped at Arlington (minimal parking fee). Be sure to plan at the very least two hours. There is so much to see and also to plan time just to stop and take it all in. Very moving and humbling.

Thanks, I am thankful that we have been up there a couple of times already so I won't feel in a rush to see more. I'm trying to be a bit focused on the few things that are priorities and then fill in with a few other things.

I wished we could just go to arlington on the way out, but we won't be leaving until late in the evening.

I also loved Arlington. It was by far the most memorable thing we did when there. I saw JFK and Jackie Kennedy's graves. We also saw Medger Everes grave and many more. We saw Arlington House and got to see the changing of the guards. It really was a very moving and humbling experience. It is quite overwhelming to personally stand there and see grave after grave just as far as the eye could see. It really puts into perspective just how much sacrifice has truly been given for our country. I certainly recommend it!

anyone know anything about Ford's theater.

I feel like I'm getting conflicting info on the website.

It says free but then it has tickets.

I'm feeling to rushed to figure it out right

When we were there in April:

It's free if you get tickets on the day you want to go. We were there when the doors opened and had no problem getting tickets right away.

If you want to get tickets today for tomorrow, there is a small fee. (I think it was $2-3)

BTW, the museum was nice, but the presentation by the Nat'l Parks gal was superb!

Soooo . . . the National Building Museum. Don't bother :-/

Also, if you get a SmarTrip card for the Metro/busses, they will only let you activate two cards per day. I learned that the hard way today. Of course, now that I HAVE the cards, I can charge them up whenever I want and use all three. They ARE cheaper per trip than the regular passcards, but I took 3 people on the metro today and had to use two SmarTrip cards and a regular paper farecard. Boooo weird limits.

Be prepared for spending $$ for food, unless you can find some cheap eateries. We paid ~$25 one evening for just two burgers, an order of fries and sodas from a popular burger joint close to the hill. If you find yourselves close to Union Station, there is a food court with lots of options, some of them not so expensive.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Take the metro to Chinatown. I fed 3 people today for about $20. This included spring rolls and bubble tea. Real food at a real bargain, and if you have a day pass anyway, you may as well hop on and off the metro all you want.