Menu

Oxford's World in Ancient Times w/ Story of the World?

I'm hoping I can avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Has anyone correlated Story of the World with the World in Ancient Times series? We have a co-op class using SOTW and we'd like to have the olders do WAT and be more-or-less on a similar topic, but with the more in-depth reading, etc. I'm hoping someone has looked at the two side-by-side and has some suggestions for how to make the two work together.

To be clear, the youngers would be doing SOTW and the olders WAT, the idea would be to schedule it so that when the youngers are doing, say, Egypt, the olders would be doing Egypt as well, so that hands-on activities and such would be the same for both. The co-op meets once a week and gives homework for the rest of the weekdays.

Thanks! I have to run but will check in late this evening. Any thoughts or help or BTDT wisdom is appreciated.

I'm hoping I can avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Has anyone correlated Story of the World with the World in Ancient Times series? We have a co-op class using SOTW and we'd like to have the olders do WAT and be more-or-less on a similar topic, but with the more in-depth reading, etc. I'm hoping someone has looked at the two side-by-side and has some suggestions for how to make the two work together.

To be clear, the youngers would be doing SOTW and the olders WAT, the idea would be to schedule it so that when the youngers are doing, say, Egypt, the olders would be doing Egypt as well, so that hands-on activities and such would be the same for both. The co-op meets once a week and gives homework for the rest of the weekdays.

Thanks! I have to run but will check in late this evening. Any thoughts or help or BTDT wisdom is appreciated.

I asked this a while back (and was very greedy because I wanted Hakim's Story of Science too :tongue_smilie:). No one had it. I have been debating whether or not to take on the task. My older DS is loving the first volume though, so I really would like to correlate them.

We should form a committee of 8 to divide and conquer. Any takers? :D

well, I can think of a round about way to do it, but it isn't simple.

First see if you can find other things that people have lined up. For example, you might find Human Odyssey, the K12 book, lined up with The World in Ancient Times series. I am almost positive people have done that.

Then see if you can find Human Odyssey and SOTW lined up. From those two things you might be able to figure out how SOTW would line up with The World in Ancient Times.

I am sure it is clear as mud.

I am sorry I don't have more to offer.

Well I took a stab at it. Basically listed all the chapters in SOTW and then looked at the The Ancient South Asian World book and tried to roughly correlate the chapters with the Indian ones in SOTW. It worked pretty well, actually, but it is late and I will begin again tomorrow.

I am loving WiAT - so interesting to read! Hopefully I can pull this together pronto - will post it when I get a chance.

Alte - would love a committee effort! Am busy tomorrow but will try to keep up with this thread and post what I've done so far.

redsquirril - I like the roundabout concept. Might be worth a try. So far I've been trying to match up chapter titles, which isn't too hard as both volumes have subtitles and such so there's quite a bit of info just in the table of contents. If I can't find something there, I look it up in the index, and so far that's been useful.

I think I may already have what your looking for....

I made this a few weeks ago in an attempt to link up SOTW, K12 Human Odyssey, History Odyssey (Level 2), Creekridge Task Cards, and The World in Ancient Times Set. (I teach a 6th/1st together so I usually mix alot of material...It seems like alot, but 2 kids x 1.5 hours 3 days a week and nightly read-alouds it tends to all get used/done)

This is actually still a work in progress. I like to wing my weeks...so while the material is "vaguely" linked you may find its not exact. I tried to sort everything according to quick glances/table of contents...all I know for sure is all the egyptian stuff is with the other egyptian stuff..but the SOTW that deals with Hieroglyphics may not be exactly linked to the week of K12 that deals with Egyptian writing KWIM?....some stuff I just had to place somewhere.... It also doesn't bother me to have overlap, and continue on in one book while still covering something from the previous week in another....it tends to help my son retain the material (working memory issues) So you will find that when I say the "mash up" isn't rigidly exact I'm being kind.....(I had actually planned on doing more sorting to make it an accurate "linking" of all the material and then offer it to anyone who wanted......but then I saw the request and I wouldn't want anyone else to have the *fun* of attempting to get this material to line up.....)

Everthing is linked up to following K12~Human Odyssey as the Main Text, with SOTW and The world in Ancient Times being supplemental. (I didn't have room to write Part 1, 2 ect for K12, I assumed that would be obvious as the # go back to 1...:D)

We read/listen to K12~Human Odyssey, The World in Ancient Times & SOTW...then we use the Task Cards and History Odyssey for Interactive learning *We are very fortunate to have bookshare/learning ally for audio of all the textbooks*

I also haven't linked in all the literature for independent/family reading to tie into the history (Black Ships Before Troy, The Bronze Bow, The Golden Goblet, and so on that I have sitting on the shelf)

But I'll give you what I got...but please feel free to tell me where I need to change anything if its not accurate...(I did this over a few hours and several nights weeks ago and haven't had a real chance to check it for accuracy and we haven't gotten past the first few weeks of the schedule in practice yet)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/69246489/Ancient-History-Mash-Up

Edited by Xanadu
I really and truly can't spell to save my life......forgive me if I still missed something

I asked this a while back (and was very greedy because I wanted Hakim's Story of Science too :tongue_smilie:). No one had it. I have been debating whether or not to take on the task. My older DS is loving the first volume though, so I really would like to correlate them.

We should form a committee of 8 to divide and conquer. Any takers? :D

I really should add in the Story of Science....

I read a chapter a week from "Aristotle Leads the Way", I didn't think to link it up with the History any further...so far just I've just been doing open/go....

TBH after linking all the others I was tired of looking at Tables of Content...:lol:

Well I took a stab at it. Basically listed all the chapters in SOTW and then looked at the The Ancient South Asian World book and tried to roughly correlate the chapters with the Indian ones in SOTW. It worked pretty well, actually, but it is late and I will begin again tomorrow.

I am loving WiAT - so interesting to read! Hopefully I can pull this together pronto - will post it when I get a chance.

Wow! You work fast! I only have two volumes in hand right now but ordered the set directly from OUP yesterday, so hopefully I won't have to wait 2-4 weeks for the rest. We are using the Human volume now, which is a breeze to align with SOTW. :tongue_smilie:

I think I may already have what your looking for....

I made this a few weeks ago in an attempt to link up SOTW, K12 Human Odyssey, History Odyssey (Level 2), Creekridge Task Cards, and The World in Ancient Times Set. (I teach a 6th/1st together so I usually mix alot of material...It seems like alot, but 2 kids x 1.5 hours 3 days a week and nightly read-alouds it tends to all get used/done)

This is actually still a work in progress. I like to wing my weeks...so while the material is "vaguely" linked you may find its not exact. I tried to sort everything according to quick glances/table of contents...all I know for sure is all the egyptian stuff is with the other egyptian stuff..but the SOTW that deals with Hieroglyphics may not be exactly linked to the week of K12 that deals with Egyptian writing KWIM?....some stuff I just had to place somewhere.... It also doesn't bother me to have overlap, and continue on in one book while still covering something from the previous week in another....it tends to help my son retain the material (working memory issues) So you will find that when I say the "mash up" isn't rigidly exact I'm being kind.....(I had actually planned on doing more sorting to make it an accurate "linking" of all the material and then offer it to anyone who wanted......but then I saw the request and I wouldn't want anyone else to have the *fun* of attempting to get this material to line up.....)

Everthing is linked up to following K12~Human Odyssey as the Main Text, with SOTW and The world in Ancient Times being supplemental. (I didn't have room to write Part 1, 2 ect for K12, I assumed that would be obvious as the # go back to 1...:D)

We read/listen to K12~Human Odyssey, The World in Ancient Times & SOTW...then we use the Task Cards and History Odyssey for Interactive learning *We are very fortunate to have bookshare/learning ally for audio of all the textbooks*

I also haven't linked in all the literature for independent/family reading to tie into the history (Black Ships Before Troy, The Bronze Bow, The Golden Goblet, and so on that I have sitting on the shelf)

But I'll give you what I got...but please feel free to tell me where I need to change anything if its not accurate...(I did this over a few hours and several nights weeks ago and haven't had a real chance to check it for accuracy and we haven't gotten past the first few weeks of the schedule in practice yet)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/69246489/Ancient-History-Mash-Up

This is great! Thanks for sharing! :)

I really should add in the Story of Science....

I read a chapter a week from "Aristotle Leads the Way", I didn't think to link it up with the History any further...so far just I've just been doing open/go....

TBH after linking all the others I was tired of looking at Tables of Content...:lol:

Yes, I know that feeling. I'm thinking since you already knocked out so much of the work, maybe I'll have more energy to link science. :D I'll be sure to share when I get to it.

Xanadu - THANK YOU!!! That's exactly what I needed. I'll use it as a guide while finishing my version - I am writing out the chapter titles so as to be able to communicate it to others.

Alte- I *started*, but I'm not finished yet! Still, Xanadu's work should help me considerably! Am excited about the possibilities!

I'll post mine when it's done.