Menu

Is anyone familiar with "Shine Brightly" magazine?

I'm considering getting this for my 12yo daughter (she's in Girl Scouts and her troop is doing a fund raiser with magazine subscriptions). I'm browsing the web to see what I can find about it, but I thought I'd post here too and see if any of you have first-hand experience with it. I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

We're Eastern Orthodox so I'm particularly curious if it's "generic" enough to be suitable for all Christians or if it's strongly rooted in the doctrine/view of a particular church.

Shine Brightly is produced in conjunction with the GEMS clubs. GEMS is a non-denominational organization, and there are clubs in a variety of denominations; however you probably want to know that it is the approved girls' ministry of the Christian Reformed Church. The GEMS curriculum is developed from a Reformed perspective, but it is also meant to be accessible to those of non-Reformed denominations. I think the magazine is more generically biblical than the club curriculum and is more about living a life of faith than about specific doctrinal teachings.

Shine Brightly is produced in conjunction with the GEMS clubs. GEMS is a non-denominational organization, and there are clubs in a variety of denominations; however you probably want to know that it is the approved girls' ministry of the Christian Reformed Church. The GEMS curriculum is developed from a Reformed perspective, but it is also meant to be accessible to those of non-Reformed denominations. I think the magazine is more generically biblical than the club curriculum and is more about living a life of faith than about specific doctrinal teachings.

Thank you for this information! :001_smile:

I was looking at this magazine, too. My dd8 is selling these magazines for Girl Scouts as well. I ended up getting her the Sparkle (I hope that's the right title) magazine that is like Shine but for younger girls. I had never heard of either of these magazines until this fundraiser. I went to the website for the magazines and you can preview the last issue.

You're welcome. I hope it helps you make the right decision for you and your daughter. :001_smile:

It does help, thank you. :)

I went to the website for the magazines and you can preview the last issue.

And that will help a lot as well. I was wishing I could see an issue to get a better feel for it, so I will have to look for that. Thanks!