Menu

Neighborhood kids who come to sell things

Ok, maybe I am just heartless or maybe I am just in a rotten mood from having to sell scout popcorn, but either way, tell me what you do.

We have a girl across the street who is a girl scout and she is in 20 different activities because her mother things she should be involved in at least one activity after school per day. :glare:

She has come to our door once this summer and twice since school started to sell us things.

I have bought once and I know she will come to sell cookies in January and I will most likely buy a couple boxes.

Today I turned her away. I just can't keep paying $5 for $1 worth of candy or whatever. AND, I am in the middle of selling popcorn, which they won't buy from us because their 8 year old boy is a cub scout.

I feel like sending a note and saying, "Please don't ask us to buy anything anymore unless you are willing to buy from us. At this point, let's just take care of our own kids' crap and not bother each other." Of course, this would be a bit tongue in cheek because I have never once asked her to buy from us. My other thought would be to say, "only bother me ONCE a year please!" :lol:

Just a vent.....but do you politely say "no thank you" or do you just buy anyway when it is a neighbor?

Dawn

We have the same problem. My neighbor across the street hits us up at least 5-6 times a year. I wouldn't mind so much except it is usually way overpriced crud that they are selling. When my kids were in school I never let them sell anything, I gave the school a check for $25 and told them it was a direct donation in lieu of them getting a percentage off of overpriced whatnots. Seriously, who spends $15 on one small roll of wrapping paper? Or $10 on 12 oz's of inferior chocolate?

At first I would look for a magazine that I actually read, or something that I could use that wasn't too high priced. But now I just give them a couple of dollars and tell them I don't want anything, but here is a donation.

Although I will buy GS cookies as often as someone shows up, since I adore those mint chocolate cookies straight out of the freezer. :D

I bought wrapping paper a long time ago when our La Leche League group was trying to raise money for conference registration. loved that wrapping paper! It was big roll and folded beautifully at the corners and the patterns were gorgeous. I haven't seen anyone selling that in years! I want some!

I won't buy candles ( unless it's a Waldorf school selling beeswax ones at their fundraising harvest fair ;)), but I will buy those giant candy bars or girl scout cookies, especially if you catch me on a cranky day, kwim? Oversized Kit Kat bars and S'mores cookies seem to make everything a lite better.

Edited by LibraryLover

If I'm not interested, I just say, "sorry, I am not interested right now." I don't feel like I owe more of an explanation. Neither do they owe an explanation to me or my kids.

:iagree::iagree: there are some items I like, and some I don't. I like looking at those brochures and see what others are selling. The items I don't want, I say no thanks and i would expect people to tell my kids the same. I don't want people buying stuff from my kids they don't want/need/like/enjoy.

We are currently in the middle of selling pasta, nuts/candy, and magazines

Robin in NJ

I call the school or organization sponsor directly if I want to buy anything, rather than try to pick which one of the neighborhood kids to buy from (that way the money can be credited to the student who needs it, or applied to the group as a whole). Since all the neighborhood kids now know I do this, they leave me alone :), and I can pick and choose which fundraisers I want to participate in and which groups I want to support.

Hmm, perhaps the mother hates the selling as much as you hate the purchasing/selling. Perhaps the child is required to participate by the organizations.

Perhaps the mother sees it as great character-building for the child, to earn her own way, etc.

Either way, the child is selling because likely she has to for whatever organization. I don't think I have ever met IRL or online a person who LIKES selling this junk.

Just say, No thanks, can't this time, don't have it in the budget.

Eventually the family will tag you as "oh they never buy, don't bother stopping at their house". Or perhaps they won't ever get the hint and ask you every time.

Either way, it is what it is, and 30 seconds of a kind "no thanks but good luck" is just as easy as anything else, and less likely to start neighbor battles.

Frankly, I think it is unreasonable to expect them to purchase from you if both families have Scouts. So it's not really the same, getting upset because they don't purchase from you if they are selling the same thing. I noticed you didn't mention that they send the son over to sell popcorn, so I assume they are reasonable enough to realize that would be silly, a scout family selling popcorn to a scout family.

ps. I have never bought from children selling at my door. I just don't have the $$ for it. Being a parent of a Scout, who does go door-to-door for Popcorn sales, I don't bother getting annoyed or mad if I get a door to door seller, but I just kindly say "no thanks, I don't have the money for that right now". No big deal yet no hurtful feelings.

If it's not something I want or something I think we can use, I politely tell them, "No, thank you."

Sometimes, if there's an easy explanation, I'll share that. For example, with the whole vegan thing, most of the food they're selling isn't going to be of interest to us. And we don't use wrapping paper. (We have re-usable fabric bags we pull out every year.)

For kids with whom we are close (the ones I've taught at church and so on), I will look harder for something to buy once a year or so. I bought some food storage thingies that you freeze to keep foods colder once from a kid at church, and I actually like them a lot.

My kids have one close friend who's my other daughter, as far as we're concerned. She's a Girl Scout, and I buy a few boxes of cookies from her every year for my husband (who is vegetarian but not vegan).

I don't feel compelled to buy from every kid at my door, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be polite about it.

I do not allow my kids to sell fundraising items, and I do not buy fundraising items either. I donate my own time and money to my kids activities....I just wish parents would do the same and stop the fundraising madness.

When kids (or anyone for that matter) come to my door selling items, I just say 'no thank you' and leave it at that. I am polite but shut the door quickly. No explanation necessary.

The fundraising companies are making so much money on these schemes! They have a mini army of child labor our peddling their wares. If someone was selling a homemade item or homegrown....I may consider buying, but not the commercial conglomerates that are raking in the dollars from the manufacturing process.

I refuse to support Girl Scouts based on some land issues they had with my family. They clear cut, old growth timber, off of donated land that was under contract to be left intact.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap
Taking Boy Scouts out of the sentence with GS.

I refuse to support Girl/Boy scouts based on some land issues they had with my family. They clear cut, old growth timber, off of donated land that was under contract to be left intact.

Did you know that Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are actually completely separate organizations? They've never been affiliated.

I don't support anything BSA for reasons I've discussed elsewhere. But the Girl Scouts are about as different an organization as you could imagine.

If it is something I want and can use I purchase, if it is something that I don't want or use I sweetly say, "No thank you". and it is the end of the subject.

We don't purchase any food items as of diet is very strict and most of the kids know that by now. We don't read mag. so never purchase those. I will look at jewelry cat. and flower cat. but that is about all.

Well, there is a little "history" with this family as well, which might be another irritant. They are quite anit-homeschooling and make it known. They also have caused friction with a few other neighbors with some other things.....they are just abrasive.

Dawn

Hmm, perhaps the mother hates the selling as much as you hate the purchasing/selling. Perhaps the child is required to participate by the organizations.

Perhaps the mother sees it as great character-building for the child, to earn her own way, etc.

Either way, the child is selling because likely she has to for whatever organization. I don't think I have ever met IRL or online a person who LIKES selling this junk.

Just say, No thanks, can't this time, don't have it in the budget.

Eventually the family will tag you as "oh they never buy, don't bother stopping at their house". Or perhaps they won't ever get the hint and ask you every time.

Either way, it is what it is, and 30 seconds of a kind "no thanks but good luck" is just as easy as anything else, and less likely to start neighbor battles.

Frankly, I think it is unreasonable to expect them to purchase from you if both families have Scouts. So it's not really the same, getting upset because they don't purchase from you if they are selling the same thing. I noticed you didn't mention that they send the son over to sell popcorn, so I assume they are reasonable enough to realize that would be silly, a scout family selling popcorn to a scout family.

ps. I have never bought from children selling at my door. I just don't have the $$ for it. Being a parent of a Scout, who does go door-to-door for Popcorn sales, I don't bother getting annoyed or mad if I get a door to door seller, but I just kindly say "no thanks, I don't have the money for that right now". No big deal yet no hurtful feelings.

Ok, maybe I am just heartless or maybe I am just in a rotten mood from having to sell scout popcorn, but either way, tell me what you do.

We have a girl across the street who is a girl scout and she is in 20 different activities because her mother things she should be involved in at least one activity after school per day. :glare:

She has come to our door once this summer and twice since school started to sell us things.

I have bought once and I know she will come to sell cookies in January and I will most likely buy a couple boxes.

Today I turned her away. I just can't keep paying $5 for $1 worth of candy or whatever. AND, I am in the middle of selling popcorn, which they won't buy from us because their 8 year old boy is a cub scout.

I feel like sending a note and saying, "Please don't ask us to buy anything anymore unless you are willing to buy from us. At this point, let's just take care of our own kids' crap and not bother each other." Of course, this would be a bit tongue in cheek because I have never once asked her to buy from us. My other thought would be to say, "only bother me ONCE a year please!" :lol:

Just a vent.....but do you politely say "no thank you" or do you just buy anyway when it is a neighbor?

Dawn

Don't let it make you feel guilty! Just say, "no, thank you." I'm sure you won't be the first person to turn her down.

I hate those kinds of fundraisers. I wouldn't mind it if the stuff were worth the money and I would actually have some use for it. But usually that isn't the case.

My nephew is a Boy Scout and after buying one tin of popcorn that I REALLY did not want, I just told his mom that I'd be happy to simply make a cash donation.

With kids at the door, I consider what they are selling and what the cause is. Usually I say no, thanks. Not in the budget right now. Good luck, though! :)

Sometimes I get the impression that the neighborhood kids have scams going on. I really have no way to know what they are doing with that money. In general, I don't buy into gimmacks but give money in a way I feel it will make the most impact.

If my kids ever get the "opportunity" to do a sale fundraiser for their activities, I won't play along. I will pay my share as their parent and not attempt to tax my friends, neighbors, and relatives.

Did you know that Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are actually completely separate organizations? They've never been affiliated.

I don't support anything BSA for reasons I've discussed elsewhere. But the Girl Scouts are about as different an organization as you could imagine.

Good to know. I guess then it is the Girl Scouts I have issue with. I know they both used this particular land that was donated so I thought they were related. The gift was to the GS, so they are the ones who made the unethical decisions.\

I edited my post to clarify.

Well, I can't lie, we DO have checks.

Dawn

It's not really lying…

"Sorry, I don't have any cheques [that I want to write to you]" :D

Me - I usually buy, especially if I know the kids..most of the sales around here are cheap enough - stuff like cookies, bars, sponsoring for skipathons, etc…if I don't have the money, I just say "sorry, not today", smile at the kids, and wish them luck with their sales/fundraising.

K is active afterschool and has a couple fundraisers a year for each. We pick how/who to sell to by what the item(s) is. For instance, cheer this year had 2 fundraisers. One was selling plastic re-useable cups (but made in the US, they were pretty awesome but $$), we only sold those to friends and family who come over to our house on a regular basis. The second was dinner tickets to a restaurant here in town. It is a popular place and the tickets were a great value. For $10 they got a tri-tip or chicken sandwich, fries and a soda. They money was 50/50 for us. I let her ask all of the neighbors. About half said no thank you, and K knows her response MUST be 'thank you for your time', then move on. However, she still sold almost 50 dinner tickets.

There is no reason to be upset in asking, unless you have a no solicitation sign posted. And if you would prefer them NOT ask, maybe you should get one.

Dawn

How do you know she won't buy from you if you've never asked?

I do not allow my kids to sell fundraising items, and I do not buy fundraising items either. I donate my own time and money to my kids activities....I just wish parents would do the same and stop the fundraising madness.

When kids (or anyone for that matter) come to my door selling items, I just say 'no thank you' and leave it at that. I am polite but shut the door quickly. No explanation necessary.

The fundraising companies are making so much money on these schemes! They have a mini army of child labor our peddling their wares. If someone was selling a homemade item or homegrown....I may consider buying, but not the commercial conglomerates that are raking in the dollars from the manufacturing process.

I refuse to support Girl Scouts based on some land issues they had with my family. They clear cut, old growth timber, off of donated land that was under contract to be left intact.

THe problem is that is not always possible. With my boy's scout popcorn sales the group doesn't care if you sell any at all. My dd's girl guide troop on the otherhand, you are required to sell 2 cases in the fall and 2 in the spring or you are kicked out of the troop. At $48 per case I can not just buy them from her, she needs to go out and sell. As it is she sold 12 cases before the troop sold out and could have sold more, as she had people still asking for some this week after they ran out.

She is also selling wreaths and birdseed things right now for guides. Those are not required however, so she is not going door to door.

If you don't want people trying to sell you things at the door just put up a no soliciting sign. THat was something my dd looked for at every house and business she went to before ringing the bell (or walking in to the business)

I volunteer with all of their activities. I am even the scout leader, but I can not afford to write a cheque to teh group rather than fundraise. I already volunteer to get their enrollment fees waived. I think it is too much to assume that all families have the money to buy out their portion of the fundraising, OR that the clubs even make it optional.

THe problem is that is not always possible. With my boy's scout popcorn sales the group doesn't care if you sell any at all. My dd's girl guide troop on the otherhand, you are required to sell 2 cases in the fall and 2 in the spring or you are kicked out of the troop. At $48 per case I can not just buy them from her, she needs to go out and sell. As it is she sold 12 cases before the troop sold out and could have sold more, as she had people still asking for some this week after they ran out.

She is also selling wreaths and birdseed things right now for guides. Those are not required however, so she is not going door to door.

If you don't want people trying to sell you things at the door just put up a no soliciting sign. THat was something my dd looked for at every house and business she went to before ringing the bell (or walking in to the business)

I volunteer with all of their activities. I am even the scout leader, but I can not afford to write a cheque to the group rather than fundraisers. I already volunteer to get their enrollment fees waived. I think it is too much to assume that all families have the money to buy out their portion of the fundraising, OR that the clubs even make it optional.

Okay, so let me ask you this. What are they fundraising for? Let say they are fundraising for camp. You have to buy $200 dollars of cookies for camp. How much did the fundraising from those 4 cases of cookies raise. 50% maybe even 70%. How much did GS spend to make that? Shipping, storage, staff to coordinate it at the National level. How many dollars of those 2 cases actually go to the camp experience, after all of the expenses are taken out. Parents gasoline to move the kids around, the advertising, buying tables/tents and the various other little things that cost money that go with the fundraising.

If it was $50 for camp or related expenses, and you got to save all the hours you spent organizing and selling cookies....would that be worth it to you?

I know that fundraising is worth it to the organization that makes the money. No doubt about that. Sometimes I wonder if parents figured out all the money they paid indirectly to fundraising, if they would still figure it was a good deal?

I remember when my son was on a swim team. The team costs were about $150 per month...the cost of going to meets and getting to practice, gear and what nots....brought that up to $500 per month. Yet, if you called and asked the team how much it cost...they would tell you $150. :glare:

In our area, I have found that 'no soliciting' signs are ignored. I asked a kid about it one time and they said, "people still want the kids to come by, just not the adults selling things".