Menu

Delicate question for Catholic converts...

My internet time is limited to an hour a day. I simply do not have hours and hours to pour into message boards and on-line relationships. I prefer to pour myself into my family and IRL friends. I asked a quick question. If I am not allowed to do that and move on, then I guess I need to find another homeschooling board.

No one is saying you are not welcome to get answers or asking for hours of your time. I have limited time to post, too. But there is no need to have what comes across as a superior attitude towards those who are willing to finish discussions. You put out some comments that provoked discussion without being willing to engage in what you started.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My internet time is limited to an hour a day. I simply do not have hours and hours to pour into message boards and on-line relationships. I prefer to pour myself into my family and IRL friends. I asked a quick question. If I am not allowed to do that and move on, then I guess I need to find another homeschooling board.

But no one asked you to pour your heart and soul into an internet relationship.

If your beliefs are not such that can be summed up in a few sentences or even a paragraph or two, just say so.

You were here last night (maybe off and on) from 8:53pm until after midnight. Then today you you started posting at 10:46am. I suppose your hour is up.

Again, if you ask a question please be ready to answer questions kindly put to you.

I hate to interject a note of controversy into such a lovely thread (:D) but "pumpkin beer" is not BEER.

Beer is made of water, malt, hops, and yeast. That's it!

This other stuff is some kind of flavored malted beverage. That is all :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Just had to start trouble, didn't you?

I've never heard of this "pumpkin beer" and all of a sudden I keep hearing about it here and IRL and now I'm wondering if it is worth tracking down.

I hate to interject a note of controversy into such a lovely thread (:D) but "pumpkin beer" is not BEER.

This other stuff is some kind of flavored malted beverage. That is all :tongue_smilie:

Bill

So noted. :D

I think the Russian Orthodox church thinks "Beer=bread." :D Our men's group recently went and tour a local brewery, I am reasonably sure there was much merriment!

We took a tour at the Sam Adam's brewery this summer. Even though I don't drink beer I had to have my sample so I could give it to dh.

No one is saying you are not welcome to get answers or asking for hours of your time. I have limited time to post, too. But there is no need to have what comes across as a superior attitude towards those who are willing to finish discussions. You put out some comments that provoked discussion without being willing to engage in what you started.

:iagree:Many of us have gotten used to speed posting. AKA, we ALSO put time into our homes, families, and other things. Well Trained Minds and Extreme Multi Taskers ;) (back to cleaning my bathroom...had to look up a medicine that had lost it's box)

Bill

:lol: Yes, true that.

I'm a coffee purist if that redeems me any? :D

Hey, that is understandable. Many of us have similar limitation (or should :D).

But when you engaging in this type of discussion, there is no such thing as a quick answer, even if you feel like it was a quick question. You asked, we put the time in to try to answer, and then you shut down the conversation in a way that felt a little dismissive. Like it is fine for us to spend our time answering you, but you can't be bothered to reciprocate.

That may not be the case, but that is kind if what it feels like from the other side.

Edited by Asenik

:lol: Yes, true that.

I'm a coffee purist if that redeems me any? :D

Hmm, coffee purist ... Have you tried Mystic Monk yet? Good stuff!

I am not a beer drinker, so y'all can decide anything you want to about that. I am pretty sure it won't end up a dogma or anything! :D

Hmm, coffee purist ... Have you tried Mystic Monk yet? Good stuff!

I am not a beer drinker, so y'all can decide anything you want to about that. I am pretty sure it won't end up a dogma or anything! :D

I know, I follow Father Z and he's got that linka nd everything-I'm thinking of putting us on auto buy.

How do they know they were the only church? Couldn't there have been very small bodies of believers spread out in villages and towns in the early centuries? Since the bible makes no mention of the word "Catholic" or "Pope" how can Catholics believe so strongly that they are THE church.

Thanks for answering. I live in a highly Catholic area, but didn't want to offend friends by asking. My kids always ask me why many of our neighbors are worshiping statues in their backyards :)

Well protestantism was a protest against the Catholic Church. (universal, at that time) They weren't protesdting against "very small bodies of believers spread out in villages and towns." I think the reforms that came as a result are good, I just wouldn't have given up the Eucharist to get them.

We worship statues of saints in our backyards for the same reason that people worship pictures of their family in photo albums.

:D

But no one asked you to pour your heart and soul into an internet relationship.

If your beliefs are not such that can be summed up in a few sentences or even a paragraph or two, just say so.

You were here last night (maybe off and on) from 8:53pm until after midnight. Then today you you started posting at 10:46am. I suppose your hour is up.

Again, if you ask a question please be ready to answer questions kindly put to you.

I did say so, and was told I was in the wrong. So if I ask a question I have to be prepared to spend hours answering any questions asked of me in return. Am I getting that right?

We worship statues of saints in our backyards for the same reason that people worship pictures of their family in photo albums.

:D

:D That's an especially apt way of putting it, b/c in both those cases, there are occasionally people who go overboard and pay more attention to the material representations than to the reality of the loved ones they represent. But it's hardly typical. And it's not something we're likely to be able to tell, based on others' visible behavior.

Otherwise, we could say, "Scrapbooking is the new idolatry." ;)

Hey, that is understandable. Many of us have similar limitation (or should :D).

But when you engaging in this type of discussion, there is no such thing as a quick answer, even if you feel like it was a quick question. You asked, we put the time in to try to answer, and then you shut down the conversation in a way that felt a little dismissive. Like it is fine for us to spend our time answering you, but you can't be bothered to reciprocate.

That may not be the case, but that is kind if what it feels like from the other side.

One reason I like internet discussion: You can think before answering. Clean the cabinet while thinking, post, clean the stove, think, post...

One reason I like internet discussion: You can think before answering. Clean the cabinet while thinking, post, clean the stove, think, post...

Or post, search the house madly for my copy of the catechism, post, check my study Bible, post ... Wait! I bet this is why your house is cleaner than mine! :D

Well protestantism was a protest against the Catholic Church. (universal, at that time)

Not quite accurate. The Eastern church was still in existence and moving along, removed from the Catholic church and the Reformation. We didn't have a "dog" in that "fight" as it were (is there a better cliche to use? Because I don't think Catholics are dogs, and don't like equating it to a fight).

Not quite accurate. The Eastern church was still in existence and moving along, removed from the Catholic church and the Reformation. We didn't have a "dog" in that "fight" as it were (is there a better cliche to use? Because I don't think Catholics are dogs, and don't like equating it to a fight).

Yep, the Protestant Reformation only dealt with half the Church and half the world. The Orthodox just kept trucking along.

I did say so, and was told I was in the wrong. So if I ask a question I have to be prepared to spend hours answering any questions asked of me in return. Am I getting that right?

Okay, I'm not going to be baited anymore.

Obviously you have whatever beliefs you have and want to keep them to yourself. I don't have a clue as to why you prefer to just not answer a simple question.

Due to your lack of sharing, don't be surprised if people make assumptions about you.

You have a nice day.

Calvin on Mary:

“Let us learn from the sole title of mother how useful, indeed necessary, is the knowledge of her, inasmuch as there is no entrance to permanent life unless we are received in the womb of this mother, and she begets us, and feeds us at her breasts and finally she preserves us and keeps us under her guidance and government … it is also to be noted that outside of the womb of this Church one cannot expect forgiveness of sins or any salvation.”
How far things have gone from whence they started...

(this is where I say that Calvin led me to Orthodoxy ;) )

I'm thoroughly enjoying this conversation. Although I'll say that I'm disheartened that people think Mary is undeserving of some praise and admiration. Not worship, but awe and veneration at the very least.

After attending an orthodox church for awhile (where starting out dh really struggled with some things in regards to Mary) he looked at me and said, "Well, as far as I can see the Orthodox church is doing exactly what Mary herself fortold would happen in the Magnificant. I cannot find fault with that."

I was taken by surprise how much healing has taken place inside myself, my marriage, and my feelings about motherhood as a result of being immersed in a culture that gives great honor to the God bearer. It still amazes me how much value is given to strong woman. ;)

After attending an orthodox church for awhile (where starting out dh really struggled with some things in regards to Mary) he looked at me and said, "Well, as far as I can see the Orthodox church is doing exactly what Mary herself fortold would happen in the Magnificant. I cannot find fault with that."

I was taken by surprise how much healing has taken place inside myself, my marriage, and my feelings about motherhood as a result of being immersed in a culture that gives great honor to the God bearer. It still amazes me how much value is given to strong woman. ;)

Ohhh man, you and me both.

I cannot even BEGIN to list how learning to understand Mary and venerating her has helped me be a better mother and wife. The effects of being submersed in this Catholic Culture has helped my marriage, 100% and it's not in some submissive way, these men (husbands and priests alike) are devoted to the Holy Mother. That devotion spills over to the other women in their lives. I've never felt so empowered as a woman and a wife.

I cannot even BEGIN to list how learning to understand Mary and venerating her has helped me be a better mother and wife. The effects of being submersed in this Catholic Culture has helped my marriage, 100% and it's not in some submissive way, these men (husbands and priests alike) are devoted to the Holy Mother. That devotion spills over to the other women in their lives. I've never felt so empowered as a woman and a wife.

:iagree:

Yes! :D I

cannot quite put my finger on how it is different...it just is different. It felt very compartmentalized before.

Beautifully put, and I agree.

Sheldon, you are something else. :blink:

Beautifully put, and I agree.

Sheldon, you are something else. :blink:

:lol: Enjoyed reading this thread, as I usually do when this type of topic comes up. (Religion, not child abuse. :sad:) And yeah Sheldon, what a piece of work. You could have easily summed up even a complicated point of view in the time it took you to go on and on and on about why you couldn't post it. :p

Thanks everyone else for being willing to take the time to talk about these issues and patiently answer everyone's questions. :)

This.

:lol: Enjoyed reading this thread, as I usually do when this type of topic comes up. (Religion, not child abuse. :sad:) And yeah Sheldon, what a piece of work. You could have easily summed up even a complicated point of view in the time it took you to go on and on and on about why you couldn't post it. :p

Thanks everyone else for being willing to take the time to talk about these issues and patiently answer everyone's questions. :)

I learned a lot too...thanks Ladies.

If there is a thread that starts with "Delicate question for.....(insert delicate subject of your choosing)" - then shouldn't we at least to TRY to be thoughtful/delicate in our responses??? Not to say we shouldn't have a good discussion but it doesn't make sense that if you fundamentally disagree with the subject, that you jump all over everyone challenging them about it?

(Still shaking my head)

I mean, if someone started a thread "Delicate question for those who agree with abortion....." - I certainly wouldn't be jumping in to post my own ideas, beliefs, thoughts, what my neighbours did, etc..........KWIM?

OK - off to get dinner started.

Good for you! :D

• 11 months later...

So, the sticking point for me is how to you reconcile your faith in light of what these supposedly "super-spritual" authorities have done.

I don't want to speak for Roman Catholics, but I'm pretty sure their *faith* is in God the father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, NOT in flawed men who were called to lead the church. This doesn't excuse in any way what these beasts do and I think they should be thrown in jail. But a Christian's faith is in Jesus Christ and (I pray) not the church. That last bit is where it gets sticky for me because I see many Catholics making much of *church* rather than faith or making the two nearly the same thing. Faith and practice are two separate, though intricately linked, aspects of religion.

(*disclaimer* that I don't agree with the power structure and hierarchy of the RC church, but I will defend their *faith* if it is in salvation through Jesus Christ!)