Menu

I inherited my grandmother's china. How can I find out about it?

I do not care about what it is worth (which I could guess by looking at Replacements or ebay). I want to know when it was manufactured so I can guesstimate when my Grandma got it and where she was in her life which eventually led to 7 children, 21 grandchildren, umpteen million great-grands, etc. I want to think of who might have been sitting around the table at the time. I remember her having it in a china cabinet in her big old house with the weeping willow tree. I remember her telling me "your Uncle Mel brought me this so he wouldn't get into trouble for going to the fair" and "your father brought me this when he came back from Spain" about different items in that cabinet. But I can't remember anything in particular about the china set.

The manufacturer is Yamaka and the pattern is Rosalinda, just in case any of you happens to be the resident expert. :)

I found these, which will show you how pretty it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaka-Rosalinda-Cup-Cups-Saucer-Saucers-/230677100576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b56d3820

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaka-Rosalinda-Salad-Plate-Plates-/330617887405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa5c9aad

(One of the aunts snidely remarked as they packed it for me, "It's not fine china."

Well, it's fine to me! Shows what she knows! :lol:)

sounds like a jealous aunt. As you implied, some things are priceless. I inherited my mom's china and my MIL china. I prefer my mom's china because my dear favorite aunt bought it for her. I remember my mil buying her china (which is worth more, monetarily).

I remember my mother had some old china she wanted to find out about. She sent some photographs of it from various angles to an auction house who provided quite a detailed history. I don't remember whether she had to pay for this service, I suspect not, knowing her :001_smile:.

Best wishes

Cassy

Your best bet is purchasing a china pattern history book for the era 1920 to the present.

Yamaka was an "occupied Japan" manufacturer. Therefore, your china hails from the World War II era and presumably prior to 1952 when the US ended it's occupation of the country. But, there is some discrepancy because some manufacturing runs post 1952 still used the occupied tradename. Apparently, it took a while to be discountinued.

This will be a difficult company to find out much about here in the US. But, you might get lucky and find a china pattern book that will give you a bit of history on the manufacturer if not your individual pattern.

Faith