Menu

a "well-trained" computer programming course?

Colleen, I think you will find programming supplies some of the logic (or at any rate, forces your child to apply some of the logic) of a classical education. It uses some of the same skills needed to do math proofs and to solve logic problems and to solve math word problems (you know - assign everything a variable, get everything into the same units, etc.). Just trying to make a link for you between classical education and computer programming... in case you haven't investigated programming enough to see it for yourself...

Nan

Colleen, I think you will find programming supplies some of the logic (or at any rate, forces your child to apply some of the logic) of a classical education. It uses some of the same skills needed to do math proofs and to solve logic problems and to solve math word problems (you know - assign everything a variable, get everything into the same units, etc.). Just trying to make a link for you between classical education and computer programming... in case you haven't investigated programming enough to see it for yourself...

Nan

YES!! I have noticed that, too! I did study programming (Basic) for a year back in the mid-80s, so I understand what you are talking about. It's a logical step-by-step process. So is sentence-diagraming, right? It's all connected, or like they say on CSI: NY - "Everything is connected - we just need to find the connections."

I remember talking with you about connections a few years ago, so thanks for confirming this one to me, too!

I bought Hello World, Programming for Kids and Other Beginners which gave him a great start on Python -- which appears to be his main focus. Khan Academy has been helpful as well.

He has fiddled with dd's NXT software for the Lego robot.

I'm so glad to see this thread, as it answers many questions my 14 yo ds has been asking lately!

Mine has been asking to learn Python, after working with his NXT for about a year now, so I got him the Hello World book, but it hasn't been going well. Did your son have trouble getting all the files recommended in the book to install? Ds is frustrated, and I'm no help. I'm trying to get him connected to a real-life friend who is more tech saavy, but so far haven't been able to get it to work out.

I'm going to go through the thread again looking for specifics. I didn't think about Khan Academy (don't know why), but I'll have him check that out too. I know one thing ds said about the NXT and Alice was that he didn't feel like he was learning the logic basics (outlined in an earlier post). Maybe he was learning more than he realized though.