Menu

a "well-trained" computer programming course?

Take a look at Computer Science for Kids There is a secular version used in schools in addition to the Christian version. (I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, I just have the secular version.) I'm using it as the spine for a Java class I am teaching this year.

Thank you - I'll show this to my son tomorrow. -Colleen

Does anyone else have some input?

Looking at our shelves yields some older books. One that offers exercises is The C Programming Language by Kernigham and Ritchie. A slightly more modern (:D) tutorial is the C++ Primer Plus by the Waite's Group.

Maybe this will help?

I will get him to look on amazon tomorrow - thanks!!!! -Colleen

:bigear:

I was asking dh about this yesterday and he said the good resources are all online, the out of date textbooks are mostly free to download. He also said the best language for a beginner to start with is Java.

I've asked him to send me some links, but I might have to remind him. ;)

Rosie

I was asking dh about this yesterday and he said the good resources are all online, the out of date textbooks are mostly free to download. He also said the best language for a beginner to start with is Java.

Rosie

I am curious why he suggests starting with JAVA. My boys are both interested in computer programming and I know nothing about it. I recognize some of the names of the languages and that is it.

I am curious why he suggests starting with JAVA. My boys are both interested in computer programming and I know nothing about it. I recognize some of the names of the languages and that is it.

IMO, I think starting with Python or Visual Basic would be simpler. Ds took Java in 9th through Potter's School last year. I took the class with him as my skills need updating. Java fit into our schedule, but I really think ds would have enjoyed Python or VB better because I gather they are less complicated. Ds was excited about learning Java, but in the end felt like he didn't do well. I know he was not the only student in the class who felt that way.

YMMV.

He also said the best language for a beginner to start with is Java.

Rosie

IMO, I think starting with Python or Visual Basic would be simpler. ...would have enjoyed Python or VB better because I gather they are less complicated.

(from Colleen, not Colleen's ds this time) :bigear: I'd be curious to hear what others think of the above, too.

Ds has been checking out all the links and suggestions and telling me about them, but we cannot come to any conclusion about what we are looking for. So, I went to my trusty WTM book after I remembered that there was a short chapter about computer skills in the high school section.

About programming, this chapter basically says that:

- a programming guru suggests that every high schooler be introduced to programming skills, to take the mystery out of computers

- as of the time of writing (1999? 2004? not sure what got changed with my 2004 ed.) Visual Basic was the most useful computer language for study. In the same paragraph, the book says, "...the student should be able to work through these (self-teaching computer courses in the Resources section) independently for a good grasp of programming principles." Then of course it says to consult with a programming expert to find out if another language has trumped Visual Basic, since languages become obsolete. Alright, I understand that. So, is there another language that trumps Visual Basic? If you think so, why?

About the bolded part - I think THIS is what I am looking for for my son - I read that bit to him yesterday, and he agreed. So, HOW do we evaluate a course/book for how well it will teach him "programming principles" (this is why I titled this thread with "well-trained" - I like systematic learning of things that will be ultimately widely useful, and prefer to specialize after getting a basic grasp of a topic.) What ARE programming principles that we should be looking for? He loves dabbling in various computer language library books, but he wants to learn programming systematically. It's the well-trained way, ya know?

Also, what do we need to know about the differences between learning programming for PCs and programming for Macs? (we have a Mac) (does Visual Basic even apply to Macs?? I can type, I can surf the internet/use e-mail/type basic documents/use a spreadsheet, but I woefully inadequate with technology)

Thanks for any further help anyone can offer us! He really wants to learn programming, and I really want to set him on the right track and not dabble.

ETA: Oh, thanks Rosie, I just saw your next reply.

(from Colleen, not Colleen's ds this time) :bigear: I'd be curious to hear what others think of the above, too.

Ds has been checking out all the links and suggestions and telling me about them, but we cannot come to any conclusion about what we are looking for. So, I went to my trusty WTM book after I remembered that there was a short chapter about computer skills in the high school section.

About programming, this chapter basically says that:

- a programming guru suggests that every high schooler be introduced to programming skills, to take the mystery out of computers

- as of the time of writing (1999? 2004? not sure what got changed with my 2004 ed.) Visual Basic was the most useful computer language for study. In the same paragraph, the book says, "...the student should be able to work through these (self-teaching computer courses in the Resources section) independently for a good grasp of programming principles." Then of course it says to consult with a programming expert to find out if another language has trumped Visual Basic, since languages become obsolete. Alright, I understand that. So, is there another language that trumps Visual Basic? If you think so, why?

About the bolded part - I think THIS is what I am looking for for my son - I read that bit to him yesterday, and he agreed. So, HOW do we evaluate a course/book for how well it will teach him "programming principles" (this is why I titled this thread with "well-trained" - I like systematic learning of things that will be ultimately widely useful, and prefer to specialize after getting a basic grasp of a topic.) What ARE programming principles that we should be looking for? He loves dabbling in various computer language library books, but he wants to learn programming systematically. It's the well-trained way, ya know?

Also, what do we need to know about the differences between learning programming for PCs and programming for Macs? (we have a Mac) (does Visual Basic even apply to Macs?? I can type, I can surf the internet/use e-mail/type basic documents/use a spreadsheet, but I woefully inadequate with technology)

Thanks for any further help anyone can offer us! He really wants to learn programming, and I really want to set him on the right track and not dabble.

ETA: Oh, thanks Rosie, I just saw your next reply.

Colleen, if I edit out your name would you mind if I posted this and the original question on a computer geek forum? I think you spelled out the essentials - the guys on the other forum know their stuff and have offered before to give me help with finding resources.

Colleen, if I edit out your name would you mind if I posted this and the original question on a computer geek forum? I think you spelled out the essentials - the guys on the other forum know their stuff and have offered before to give me help with finding resources.

OK.

ETA: (about the bolded - see, Dawn, another gem in the WTM....lol - I was only able to do that after reading that chapter in WTM! :D)

I'm currently teaching VB to a few kids including my own son. I'm going with Homeschool Programming for Kids - KidCover (they have a for Teens too, but we are starting from scratch)

I like it so far. It's great for someone who doesn't have a teacher nearby.

http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com/

And Colleen's son, you can always contact me in email if you want feedback on your programming. We met before, when you were much younger.

ETA: shoot, I just realised you said you were on a MAC, the above is only for Windows. Maybe it's time to think about a cheap, used portable?

Edited by CleoQc

What ARE programming principles that we should be looking for?

The very basics:

• data types - int, char, etc.

• input/output - to/from screen and file

• control stmts - if-then-else, while, do...while, for, etc

• arrays

C and Java kinda diverge in their terminology/methodology from there.

About the Mac, I don't know what works on a Mac, but Java definitely would. A bit of investigations shows C and Python as well.

OK.

ETA: (about the bolded - see, Dawn, another gem in the WTM....lol - I was only able to do that after reading that chapter in WTM! :D)

I think I've got to read through that book very slowly with a notebook and highlighter. The only other book I have that gets that treatment is my Bible. :D

I'm currently teaching VB to a few kids including my own son. I'm going with Homeschool Programming for Kids - KidCover (they have a for Teens too, but we are starting from scratch)

I like it so far. It's great for someone who doesn't have a teacher nearby.

http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com/

And Colleen's son, you can always contact me in email if you want feedback on your programming. We met before, when you were much younger.

He remembers you guys - thank you!!!! (I'll also show him this thread tomorrow)(I think someone on my other thread - logic board - talked about KidCover - we should have a closer look)

Any particular reason why you are teaching Visual Basic?

ETA: shoot, I just realised you said you were on a MAC, the above is only for Windows. Maybe it's time to think about a cheap, used portable?

Um, Mac-loving dh probably won't agree to that, :lol: ETA: seriously, though, if there is a good reason for your recommendation, I would consider it. Actually, I think we have a small portable PC that was given to us a few years ago...

The very basics:

• data types - int, char, etc.

• input/output - to/from screen and file

• control stmts - if-then-else, while, do...while, for, etc

• arrays

C and Java kinda diverge in their terminology/methodology from there.

About the Mac, I don't know what works on a Mac, but Java definitely would. A bit of investigations shows C and Python as well.

OK, this thread is starting to get more helpful, now that I've started to figure out what specifically to ask - thank you so much!!

I think I've got to read through that book very slowly with a notebook and highlighter. The only other book I have that gets that treatment is my Bible. :D

:lol: It'll only frustrate you to read it slowly, though. Read the whole thing, and then when you have burning questions, go back to it ("I know I saw something about that somewhere in WTM!!!"). See, I only underlined parts of the programming chapter TODAY, and I've had my book for seven years! :lol:

He said something about Java showing up the same on all browsers, which doesn't happen with other programming languages. I can't remember properly. He talks about computers so much my brain glazes over even when I'm interested enough to ask. :blushing:

Rosie

That is how it is for me when my dh gets going. Unfortunately his job uses old outdated languages that no one else uses, so he isn't up on the current recommendations. So we are at a complete loss for how to start.

Someone over on the geek forum recommended the O'Reilly and Dummies books for self-study. He said they followed the format your son was interested in and suggested Java (everyone uses it) and Python (it's gaining a lot of popularity and becoming required for some IT jobs), thinking those would be good for a 13 yr. old.

I just posted a curriculum earlier, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on languages and other resources. Programming is an excellent skill for any student in today's world even if it's never pursued as a career.

I teach AP Computer Science and also teach a year long pre-AP intro class. AP CS uses Java, but it is definitely a second year programming course.

I used to use Visual Basic for the intro class, which I still think is a good tool. I liked the fact that the students learned two different languages in the two years. They better learned to generalize the concepts, language independent. The main problem is that VB is Microsoft-specific and leaves out Mac and Linux users. And some students don't generalize well, so learning two languages was tough. I've also taught intro Java.

This year I am doing something completely different. We are using Game Maker (available for Mac and PC) for the first semester and then using Java the second semester. The simplest part of Game Maker is icon based programming (like the Lego Nxt robot), but it also has a powerful scripting language called GML. One advantage of Game Maker is that it teaches many of the concepts of object oriented/event driven programming in the context of games so the concepts are more concrete. The other is that the scripting language, GML, is very similar to Java (and also C++), so everything they learn is transferable when they step up. They aren't starting from scratch like transitioning from VB.

I use the Game Maker's Apprentice to teach GM along with my own labs. I'm using (for the first time) the Java text I mentioned above. I've also used the Head First Java book with students and they have guides for many languages. For Visual Basic, I used Halvorson's Step by Step book, but mostly used my own material.

Hope this helps someone!

I just posted a curriculum earlier, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on languages and other resources. Programming is an excellent skill for any student in today's world even if it's never pursued as a career.

I teach AP Computer Science and also teach a year long pre-AP intro class. AP CS uses Java, but it is definitely a second year programming course.

I used to use Visual Basic for the intro class, which I still think is a good tool. I liked the fact that the students learned two different languages in the two years. They better learned to generalize the concepts, language independent. The main problem is that VB is Microsoft-specific and leaves out Mac and Linux users. And some students don't generalize well, so learning two languages was tough. I've also taught intro Java.

This year I am doing something completely different. We are using Game Maker (available for Mac and PC) for the first semester and then using Java the second semester. The simplest part of Game Maker is icon based programming (like the Lego Nxt robot), but it also has a powerful scripting language called GML. One advantage of Game Maker is that it teaches many of the concepts of object oriented/event driven programming in the context of games so the concepts are more concrete. The other is that the scripting language, GML, is very similar to Java (and also C++), so everything they learn is transferable when they step up. They aren't starting from scratch like transitioning from VB.

I use the Game Maker's Apprentice to teach GM along with my own labs. I'm using (for the first time) the Java text I mentioned above. I've also used the Head First Java book with students and they have guides for many languages. For Visual Basic, I used Halvorson's Step by Step book, but mostly used my own material.

Hope this helps someone!

Yes! I was looking at Game Maker's Apprentice and thinking it might be right up my daughter's alley.

from Colleen's son:

Thank you everybody for your help! Now, it seems to me that the two most recommended languages in this thread are Visual Basic and Java. Could someone please tell me what the differences between these two languages are?

Note: I have a laptop with Windows 2000 installed. I usually use that for my programming. But I also have access to a Macintosh with OS 10.6 Snow Leopard installed.

Colleen's son

I didn't see anyone recommending Scratch or Alice. Both of these are 'introductory' languages which I use to teach computer programming at our homeschool co op. They contain all the programming principles you are looking for, but they are easy to learn as you use drag and drop commands instead of having to learn syntax. Kids are programming and making simulations and games within hours.

Scratch was developed by MIT and Alice by Carnegie Mellon - both were an attempt to make programming more accessible to the modern teen.

I have written a whole page about these with links to examples etc - How to Teach Computer Programming to Kids. Many schools and colleges are using these as an Intro to Computing before moving on to Java.

I think I have the perfect book for you: Computer Programming for Teens. It teaches the underlying principles of programming and gives examples in three different languages. Don't let the "for teens" fool you; it's real programming. Once you learn the material in this book, you can more easily attack any language. There are other books in the same series on Visual C#, Java, game programming, etc. We have done GameMaker, Alice, Greenfoot, all of the programming programs for FLL, etc. But none of the beginner programs helped dd prepare to learn to program like this book, she says.

Someone mentioned the O'Reilly books. Head First Java is a great book (I recommended it in the other thread.)

Edited by angela in ohio

...it seems to me that the two most recommended languages in this thread are Visual Basic and Java. Could someone please tell me what the differences between these two languages are?

Ds took Java in 9th through Potter's School last year. ...I really think ds would have enjoyed...VB better because I gather they are less complicated.

post on x-post thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3236070&postcount=11

from Colleen: My son would like to hear more input on the differences between Java and VB. The above two replies (the x-post reply is on the logic stage board) were helpful, and we just wonder if there is other input.

I think I have the perfect book for you: Computer Programming for Teens. It teaches the underlying principles of programming and gives examples in three different languages. Don't let the "for teens" fool you; it's real programming. Once you learn the material in this book, you can more easily attack any language. There are other books in the same series on Visual C#, Java, game programming, etc. We have done GameMaker, Alice, Greenfoot, all of the programming programs for FLL, etc. But none of the beginner programs helped dd prepare to learn to program like this book, she says.

Thanks, Angela! Ds looked at this on amazon, and then reserved it from our library - it looks like it could be the beginning for a cobbled-together course for him!

from Colleen: My son would like to hear more input on the differences between Java and VB. The above two replies (the x-post reply is on the logic stage board) were helpful, and we just wonder if there is other input.

You've gotten some good differences. I can throw out a few that might help. What differences is your ds interested in? Difficulty? Acceptance? Uses? I'm assuming that it's not the detailed theoretical differences (interpreted/compiled, etc.) I'm sticking to what a beginner programmer would see:

Visual Basic is only used with Windows systems. This limits it's applications. On the other hand, it is specific to Windows systems so it's easier to use all of the pre-packaged Windows functions: dialog boxes, save screens, etc. Your programs will look like Windows programs without much work. I think it is also a bit easier to learn because the IDE (the program you use to write the programs) is integrated with VB and is fairly user friendly. VB's primary uses are for writing Windows programs and utilities.

With Java, you can write programs that can be used on any platform. There are many IDEs to choose from depending on your operating system. I've found that none of them are quite as easy for the students as Visual Studio, but most students find a favorite and settle in. I think the syntax (the structure of the language, the punctuation and terms)for Java is a little less intuitive, but mostly students tend to prefer what they learn first. Java's primary use is for web based programs or ones that need to be available on multiple OS.

Not to step on toes, but I seem to think of Java as more of a hard-core programmers language and VB more for business and utility applications. In terms of a student running simple programs on their own computer, I don't see a huge advantage of either one. Java is the preferred language for teaching computer science (which covers more of the theory than just writing programs.)

VB is the language you use when you want to jot down a quick little application. Most of the work is done for you, and it makes turning out applications a breeze. It's also often used for prototyping a solution (similar to writing a draft paper)

Java is a program that can be used cross platform and more professionally. There are some professional VB programmers, but it's not the usual. Java, and C++/C# are more common.

Personally I would start with VB, as you can quickly get into the fun part of programming and not be stuck in the details. Once you get over that first hump, then you're ready to tackle something more complex.

For Visual Basic, I used Halvorson's Step by Step book

Ds reserved this from our library, too, today. Thank you for the recommendation. Thanks also for all your helpful input - I haven't responded directly (yet), but your thoughts are helping form my thoughts. :)

Thanks also to Cleo. I will show my son this thread again tomorrow. It has been so helpful to him (and me as supervisor).

from Colleen in NS's son:

I was wondering if anybody here knows of any computer programming courses for C, C++, Python, Visual Basic, or Visual C#? I am looking for an exercises-type setting that teaches a concept and then gives exercises on it.

When my oldest was in 9th or 10th grade I decided he should take a computer programming course. The boy had no interest in computer programming but with an interest in chemical engineering I thought he should be familiar with programming. My niece has her PhD in computer science, teaches undergrads so I consulted with her as to what language I should start DS out with. She advised the book 'How to Design Programs, An Introduction to Programming and Computing.' While you can purchase the book it is also free on the web --- http://www.htdp.org/

It uses scheme for its programming language. The solutions to the book's problems are available too and while it says for teachers only they sent me the password. It does just what you are asking ---teaches a concept then has exercises for the student to try out these exercises. DS worked through the book totally on his own. From this course he went on to learn java, C++, perl, pascal, python.......

Last year as a college freshman my son gleefully told me that all the computer science and computer engineering majors' first required programming course uses the 'How to Design Programs,' book! He was quite surprised and wished he was in that course rather than the CS course required for chem e majors (java, which he knew but could not escape from).

It was also during his fall semester that DS switched his major from chem e to computer science major w/ a few minors. And somewhere in there he also said that he was really glad he had taken HTDP as his first programming course. Guess mom knew what she was doing for once.

When my oldest was in 9th or 10th grade I decided he should take a computer programming course. The boy had no interest in computer programming but with an interest in chemical engineering I thought he should be familiar with programming. My niece has her PhD in computer science, teaches undergrads so I consulted with her as to what language I should start DS out with. She advised the book 'How to Design Programs, An Introduction to Programming and Computing.' While you can purchase the book it is also free on the web --- http://www.htdp.org/

Thanks so much for posting this. I haven't thought about this book in quite a few years. I'm adding it to my list of CS resources.

Fond memories of Kernigan and Ritchie (I had also heard a few days ago that he passed away)...

I taught programming in a co-op to a dozen kids ages 11 to 16 last fall. I used "Snake Wrangling for Kids" (a downloadable book) and downloaded the version of Python it required (3.x.x something or another) and the class went really well. The examples were easy to follow and they DID touch on some complex CS topics (object oriented programming, data types, etc.)

Might not be the snazziest resource on this thread, but it is the cheapest!

Thank you everybody for your help! I have decided to use Visual Basic for my language, and I was wondering if you all could help me with one last thing: finding a course for it. I have already looked at Michael Halvorson's Visual Basic 2010 Step by Step and I was wondering if there are any more suggestions. Thanks,

Colleen's Son

Thank you everybody for your help! I have decided to use Visual Basic for my language, and I was wondering if you all could help me with one last thing: finding a course for it. I have already looked at Michael Halvorson's Visual Basic 2010 Step by Step and I was wondering if there are any more suggestions. Thanks,

Colleen's Son

I like Beginning Visual Basic by Willis and Newsome but it's a bit denser than the one I recommend above. Take a look at the sample pages at the link.

If you are looking for a course, the Computer Science for Kids course that I am using for Java also has a VB version. Scroll down to track #2 (I don't think you want Small Basic).

Good Luck!

• 3 months later...
from Colleen in NS's son:

I was wondering if anybody here knows of any computer programming courses for C, C++, Python, Visual Basic, or Visual C#? I am looking for an exercises-type setting that teaches a concept and then gives exercises on it.

Hi Colleen,

I'm curious how your son is doing with his programming. This thread inspired me to order a few books for my ds.

I use the Game Maker's Apprentice to teach GM along with my own labs.

I bought this book but he is not interested in GMA at this point.

I think I have the perfect book for you: Computer Programming for Teens.

He's been reading this and appreciates the overall approach it takes -- rather than teaching a specific language.

He is exploring C & C++ with help from this site.

He created an Apple iOS developer account.

He has tried Codecademy.

I bought Hello World, Programming for Kids and Other Beginners which gave him a great start on Python -- which appears to be his main focus. Khan Academy has been helpful as well.

He has fiddled with dd's NXT software for the Lego robot. He has not taken the time to learn Scratch or Alice (despite my nagging :tongue_smilie:). He says he would rather focus on Python.

How have other students jump-started their programming interests?

I would love for ds to take AP CS next year. Angela in OH, if you have a moment I would so appreciate your strategy for that course.

Thanks in advance (especially you, Colleen, for starting this thread)!

ETA: Ds is trying to talk us into letting him build his own computer. It's a $pendy proposition that is not making much traction with dh. Thoughts?

Edited by Beth in SW WA

here is my hubby take since he is a programmer himself.

If you are looking to just take a computer class for high school credit, visual basic is the way to go as it is easier to read from a non-techie perspective.

If you want to take the first step to becoming a computer programmer, take JAVA or C++. Mainly because C based languages are more prevalent in the industry and most "serious" programmers tend to look down on VB as a program language.

here is my hubby take since he is a programmer himself.

If you are looking to just take a computer class for high school credit, visual basic is the way to go as it is easier to read from a non-techie perspective.

If you want to take the first step to becoming a computer programmer, take JAVA or C++. Mainly because C based languages are more prevalent in the industry and most "serious" programmers tend to look down on VB as a program language.

Thanks!! Ds is observing a C class at CU this month.

Hi Colleen,

I'm curious how your son is doing with his programming. This thread inspired me to order a few books for my ds.

Hi Beth! Glad the thread helped. It was a tremendous help to us, too!

Basically, I finally bought a Visual Basic 2008 Step By Step book for him, and turned him loose with it. A kind boardie also sent him a programming book from her husband, and ds also checked out various programming books from the library. He started working through VB lessons, and these were helpful to him in understanding programming principles - just like we learned about earlier in this thread. :D He has read books and experimented with programming in a few different languages.

Projects that came immediately to his mind when I asked him: He created a program that finds prime numbers and, using it, he created a list of primes up to 12,500,000. He has also made several short games and a financial calculator.

Programming is his current passion. Every day when he's done school and has had some outdoors time, he asks for programming time. He's always talking to his father about it, too. I haven't followed it detail-by-detail like I do with subjects I require of him, but as an elective, it is going very well, I think. He is having fun, and is fine-tuning his thinking. (and sometimes losing sleep as programming problems occupy his brain at night, :lol:)