Menu

6th & 4th grade history: sorting through options

profmom

I still don't feel like I've found "the one" as far as history curricula/plans go! This year we are using MFW's CtG, and it's going well. However, I just realized that I don't use much of what's in the teacher's manual -- I've even added my own spine The Story of the Ancient World by Guerber/Miller, which is our favorite part of history!

After a busy year last year (outside of school), I wanted the schedule that MFW would provide. I use MFW's scripture memory, weekly topics (but use the spine above), read alouds (but get ahead of their schedule), and some of their other history readings (Victor, which has gone in order; Ancient World & Ancient Egypt). We didn't like their main science text, so I've replaced it.

The book basket idea of browsing books on the week's topic isn't working as well as I'd like -- the kids would rather read whole books. I think it would work better for me to assign history reading, and I'd like help with grade-appropriate suggestions. I'd like to try something with weekly reading assignments by grade level, or at least a narrowed down list by grade level.

So...next year we'll be ready for 6th & 4th grade and year 2 of the history cycle. I'm wondering about:

~ Biblioplan since it lists reading assignments by grade ranges.

~ TOG, but it seems so expensive. Plus, I don't consider history one of our most important subjects -- important, yes, but I don't feel we have time to "major" in history. (Any thoughts on these TOG concerns?) We are also using and loving CW, so I'm not sure I'd use the TOG writing.

~ Sticking with MFW, and going to RtR, which would schedule SOTW & additional readings (or maybe I'd only need SOTW & the activity guide to accomplish something close?)

~ Or going more on my own by using something like the next Guerber book and the supplemental reading guide in the back (or maybe All Through the Ages for more ideas--haven't seen this in person).

Can you guys help me sort through this a bit? My dc love to read other, non-history-related literature, so I want to make sure to leave reading time for this too. (So, not an overwhelming amount of history reading.) I like that TOG includes literature too. This is another area that I don't yet have a concrete plan. (I love the feeling of having a plan and hate feeling like I'm flying by the seat of my pants.) One of the things we enjoy most about using Story of the Ancient World is the continuous narrative it provides.

Sorry so long!! Any suggestions?

I think you would probably need Volume 2. We enjoy MOH very much; like you, we do not make history the center of our curriculum, and we like to leave plenty of room for non-history reading, etc. MOH is very easy to use.

I'm not sure that my 4th grader would be ready for it, but YMMV. It would at least be worth a look!

I've also used Biblioplan for "year 3" (MOH Volume 3 isn't published yet) and I like the idea, although I ended up using SOTW/History of US without the Biblioplan schedule. But, I did like Biblioplan -- it was engaging without becoming overwhelming to keep up with.

HTH

I have 2 ds-4th and 7th grade this year and we are using Biblioplan and SOTW 2. I wanted to have something "scheduled" for me and Biblioplan gives good book recommendations and read alouds. My boys are in two different "levels" of the readers, one reads the 3+ books and the other 5+ books. I have found the readers are appropriate. It focuses me to stay on track with read alouds also. We listen to the SOTW on CD and usually pick one other of the suggested spines (Kingfisher) to read. It has worked well for us. They LOVED the study of the Middle Ages! (We're just starting the Reformation...they still want the knights and battles...but oh well!)

I have the AG for SOTW and use it for review questions and for the mapwork. I use Homeschool in the Woods pictures for their timeline book.

We are using IEW's Middle Ages Writing Plans and it is very good.

I have looked at TOG and it looks like a great program, but it is expensive. The price of Biblioplan is right for my budget and seems to be working for us at this stage.

We started homeschooling last year and SOTW was their favorite subject. I didn't want to "fix" what wasn't broken, but found Biblioplan to be a good complement.

We are blessed with a great library and are able to get a lot of the recommended books from there. I have purchased some of the others and will be selling some at the end of the year. (Let me know if you might be interested!:))

I hope this helps.

It is great to have so many excellent choices!

1. I've even added my own spine The Story of the Ancient World by Guerber/Miller, which is our favorite part of history!

2. After a busy year last year (outside of school), I wanted the schedule that MFW would provide. I use MFW's scripture memory, weekly topics (but use the spine above), read alouds (but get ahead of their schedule), and some of their other history readings (Victor, which has gone in order; Ancient World & Ancient Egypt).

3. The book basket idea of browsing books on the week's topic isn't working as well as I'd like -- the kids would rather read whole books. I think it would work better for me to assign history reading, and I'd like help with grade-appropriate suggestions. I'd like to try something with weekly reading assignments by grade level, or at least a narrowed down list by grade level.

4. TOG but it seems so expensive. Plus, I don't consider history one of our most important subjects -- important, yes, but I don't feel we have time to "major" in history. (Any thoughts on these TOG concerns?) We are also using and loving CW, so I'm not sure I'd use the TOG writing.

Okay let me start by saying, I'm only sharing what I know about TOG, I'm not trying to convince you to use it.

1. Miller's books are scheduled in TOG

2. TOG would do this all for you with exception of scripture

3. TOG would definitely do this for you and still allow time for non-history reading

4. TOG is not as expensive as it seems at first glance, take a look at the brochure

For what you want to do it is a fit, I just want to encourage you to explore it more before dismissing it and creating a lot of work for yourself. You don't have to use the TOG writing at all, it is an add-on.

Download the three week sample to get a better look

Hope this helps,

Is Sonlight not an option for you? I ask because you mention your dc like to read. Sonlight is rich in literature readers that are not only interesting, but go along with the history you are studying...and best of all, they are scheduled FOR you! ;) We have rarely found a book we have not enjoyed. It is not a "classical" education...but a good one all the same.

I have used several Sonlight Cores over the years as well as a combo of Winter Promise and SL this year. I will be doing TOG, Y1 this next year. I am looking for the discussion questions/assignments that TOG provides as well as the biblical worldview. So far, my library carries most of the books I will need for year one so the price has not been too terribly bad.

It's not exactly an open and go curriculum like Sonlight though.

~ Or going more on my own by using something like the next Guerber book and the supplemental reading guide in the back (or maybe All Through the Ages for more ideas--haven't seen this in person).

Sorry so long!! Any suggestions?

This option gets my vote! I love H.A. Guerber! We use it along with Truthquest

TQ has commentary that has provided many great jumping off places for interesting conversations.

It is easy to divide up and go at your own pace. It was very simple to get through both the Ancients & Greece guide and the Roman guide in one year. (There is only a few pages devoted to ancients, most of the guide's focus is on the Greeks.)

Besides commentary the book list are fabulous. It has suggestions for both in print and out of print books. For each section there are suggestions for several spines (SOTW, Guerber , and other spines for grades K-12) then a list of non-fiction and another list for fiction. It even has sections devoted to suggestion for books on art and tells you what pages to look at.

You can go as deeply as you want. Love it, love it, love it!

There is also a very busy yahoo group for TQ. Lots of helpful ladies there.

Oh...btw...I use CW too. There are what is called ThinkWrites through the TQ program that could be used...but it isn't really much. Not like TOG. With TOG the writing program looks so good I feel as if I HAVE to use it. Cuz, I'm a box checker. And um...CW and TOG writing...would um..be a bit much. My kids would be like ....:eek:. So, CW and TQ work well together. And if I ever get brave enough I can use Guerber models for writing.

Oh boy! My first time to post over here. I sure hope I am doing this correctly!

History is not a HUGE part of our day either, and I don't want it to be. I am considering continuing with MOH and doing Volume 2 and part of 3 next year (these are each 28 weeks so we would do all of 2 and 7 weeks of 3). It is very pick up and go. She has many book suggestions as well. We have added in many whole books (historical fiction) this year with books I have selected by perusing the WTM lists, the VP lists, and the SL lists.

The other thing I am considering for next year is using Diana Waring. She is suggested for grades 5 and up, but I think with the audios it would be doable by a 4th grader. I like the pacing (three year program rather than four or five year), and I think a unit approach would be a nice change of pace for us.

Good luck!

Cynthia

I appreciate all of you taking the time to help! I'm realizing that it's time to start thinking more specifically about high school curriculum and considering that in planning for 6th - 8th grades (especially if there's a chance I'd want to use TOG for high school). What are you guys planning to use for high school history?

Yikes!! :eek: I just realized that, with the ages of my children, I'll be going through all of history 4 more times (including the cycle we started this school year with Ancients)!! When my oldest is in 9th, I'll also have 7th & 1st graders. (And when my oldest is in 12th, I'll have 10th & 4th graders!) This makes me think that I need to be thinking "reusable" and "easy-to-combine," along with "quality." I'm going to spend some time looking at the high school options with each of the curricula mentioned here.

Fay & Rhonda M, will you be using TQ through high school?

Amy, do you think you will be using Biblioplan with the high school supplement later on? If not, do you have something else in mind?

Christy, Cynthia, & Rhonda (LW), do you know yet what you'll use after MOH?

Regena, high school plans yet? Continue going on your own?

Jessica, I'm definitely rethinking TOG with my big picture in mind! (4 more 4-year cycles!! I'm still surprised by this realization! :eek: :) ) It makes sense to take another long look at buying TOG once and using it 4 times.

Melissa, I'm sold on chronological history, but have looked at SL many times. It sounds like TOG will be a good fit for you!

Thanks again for your input! And, of course, anyone else is welcome to add theirs!

Amy, do you think you will be using Biblioplan with the high school supplement later on? If not, do you have something else in mind?

We started homeschooling last year and I hope to go through the SOTW/Biblioplan cycle with my younger two...beefing it up a la WTM for the older of the two. I will probably use the WTM method for the second rotation for my youngest.

My oldest is being homeschooled for the first time this year and he is a HUGE history and WWII fanatic and wanted to study the 20th century...so he is doing SL Core 300. Next year I am thinking about dual enrolling him at our local community college and letting him take some history courses there. I had thought about getting the HS supplement and have him study the same time period we are studying, but the dual enrollment option seems to be better for his situation.

If the dual enrollment situation works for him, I may try it for my other two as well.

The joy of homeschooling is that you can do what works for your family!

Good luck!

Yikes!! :eek: I just realized that, with the ages of my children, I'll be going through all of history 4 more times

Fay & Rhonda M, will you be using TQ through high school?

I am pretty sure we will stick with TQ through highschool, probably at the rate of one guide per year. Although we can do as much history as we like with the guides and which ever books we read, I don't end up feeling as if our world revolves around history.