Menu

Literary Analysis in the Classical Curriculum

Guest Jenmac

Guest Jenmac

Hello!

This is my first visit to these forums and I hope some of you veterans can help me out. I've been homeschooling for 9 years, most of which have been with the classical method. However, as my oldest is in 8th grade we are thinking of high school. I've looked at packaged curricula and some of them offer courses in literary analysis. The classical curricula that I am familiar with, including WTM, do not seem to delve into this in the same way (although I could have missed it!). My question is how to teach literary analysis effectively and secondly, do we need to teach it? Why?

Thanks!

Jennifer

A good beginning: Teaching the Classics: A Socratic Method for Literary Education by Adam and Missy Andrews.

Doesn't teach the literary essay, but explains conflict, theme, setting, characters, exposition, rising action, denouement, conclusion. There are nice videos you can get with it.

A good beginning: Teaching the Classics: A Socratic Method for Literary Education by Adam and Missy Andrews.

Doesn't teach the literary essay, but explains conflict, theme, setting, characters, exposition, rising action, denouement, conclusion. There are nice videos you can get with it.

:iagree: I think this is a great place to start. In fact, I am leading a parent-child book club for grammar stage students (like Deconstructing Penguins) using this method with picture books. I'm hoping this makes literary analysis less daunting when we hit the rhetoric stage! Most of the parents have no background in literary analysis, so we are all learning together.