Menu

College acceptances - class of 2012

creekland

DD has been accepted at her #1 choice. It's a great school, but they only offer need-based fin. aid, no merit-based. We've been through that situation before with our older two and managed to get them through, but we've maxed out our HE loan and don't know how we're going to pay for it. Praying that somehow, some way she'll be able to go.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big congratulations to Therese's daughter and lisabee's son!

Therese, I hope that you can work out the finances somehow for your daughter.

Lisa - Yay!! I'm betting that this is just the beginning of lots of good news for your son.:)

Thanks Kathy - you have always been our greatest cheerleader!! ;)

DS was accepted to Dickinson yesterday. He only hs for one year, but I thought I would add him on this thread, as hs made his transcript a bit unusual.

Super duper big congratulations!!!!!

We've only hsed for 2 years and doing the college applications seemed scary but, I have hope - given your son. You had some great comments on the threads during the application process that really helped our thinking. We are awaiting our "big gun" private college results....unusual transcripts and applications there for sure!!!!!

Add the University of Rochester to my guy's acceptances. I thought they notified in March, but apparently this year they have early notification in Feb. His came in today. We're visiting UR on Friday, so the acceptance was timely.

UR is one of his top contenders of places to go (oodles of research ops and neuroscience as well as being well known for pre-med) pending the visit and finances.

He wavered on applying to UR due to the weather in Rochester, but now is extremely glad he made the final call to send it in.

Great Girl just got the acceptance notification for the math/science honors program at Big State U.! She's so happy.

Wow, good news for Great Girl! Does the math/sci honors program come with any special privileges or classes?

Add the University of Rochester to my guy's acceptances. I thought they notified in March, but apparently this year they have early notification in Feb. His came in today. We're visiting UR on Friday, so the acceptance was timely.

UR is one of his top contenders of places to go (oodles of research ops and neuroscience as well as being well known for pre-med) pending the visit and finances.

He wavered on applying to UR due to the weather in Rochester, but now is extremely glad he made the final call to send it in.

UR was positively crawling with pre-meds when I was there in the 70's! Have fun on your visit this week.:) And definitely have somebody take you through the steam tunnels while you're on campus. Yes, the weather is often rainy or snowy, but we rarely even knew it since we went from building to building underground.:D

Big Congrats. Likewise here about Rochester in the 70s. With the demise of Kodak, the city could be facing some big challenges which could make for an interesting educational environment. It may be that more r and d dollars will be funneled into research at the university, giving some exciting possibilities.

Just asking- Did your ds look at Case Western? Not what we need here but, I'd like to know what folks thought.

Big Congrats. Likewise here about Rochester in the 70s. With the demise of Kodak, the city could be facing some big challenges which could make for an interesting educational environment. It may be that more r and d dollars will be funneled into research at the university, giving some exciting possibilities.

Just asking- Did your ds look at Case Western? Not what we need here but, I'd like to know what folks thought.

Case Western made my guys very short list, but not his final application list. Once we visited Pittsburgh and he saw he wasn't so much of an urban campus lover (without a defined campus), that gave Case a rather large nick in the con column (based upon hearsay from those who had visited). Then, when he looked at their website he didn't find nearly as much in opportunities for neuroscience. They have cognitive science (or something like that), but it's different and not as extensive (his words).

I do know students who go to Case Western and love it there. They tend to be more into Biomedical Engineering or other Engineering. It's all about fit.

My guy ended up applying to:

University of Alabama

Baylor

Furman

Pittsburgh

U Rochester

WUSTL

He's been accepted to all but WUSTL (they notify in March for regular decision).

His top three at the moment are UR, Furman, and WUSTL. I don't know that there's an order to them at this point. UR and WUSTL are there for the research and top level opportunities. Furman is there due to the small class sizes in even introductory classes (which he loves!), but he has to weigh the loss of great research options (they have some, but for sophomores on and less options). If all come out similar with finances, he's going to have a tough decision to make soon. It'll be his decision - pending finances.

Baylor is likely good, but so far away and without as many research ops in what he's looking for. He never got around to applying to their Honors College as he already had schools closer he liked that he'd been accepted to.

Alabama is nice (and the money is really nice), but not quite up there with the others with options for research in his field or the prestige in the northeast. He would have seriously considered going there anyway (with microbio as his major) if he'd made it into their Computer Based Honors, but he was just waitlisted for that. (They only accept 40 students.) As just another of their many honors students in a large U without his preferred major or research options within it, UA is only likely to be top if his other three aren't affordable. Hopefully that won't happen.

Pittsburgh was lowest on his list after visiting (without visiting UR or Baylor) and dropped into the basement with their homeschooling transcript requirement letter. We never even sent them his top scores to compete for the best merit aid. He got accepted with merit aid anyway (without returning our response to the letter), but with deeper state budget cuts coming and other options - we just seriously doubt they'll be at the top when all packages are in. They do have a nice neuroscience program.

I'm kind of eager to see what he decides. It's all going to be "over" soon. In two more months, he'll know. The time is going to fly by. It already is flying by.

Wow, good news for Great Girl! Does the math/sci honors program come with any special privileges or classes?

UR was positively crawling with pre-meds when I was there in the 70's! Have fun on your visit this week.:) And definitely have somebody take you through the steam tunnels while you're on campus. Yes, the weather is often rainy or snowy, but we rarely even knew it since we went from building to building underground.:D

By the mid-80s, it seemed like everybody was studying optics. Is that still a big thing at UR? Then again, it was terrific for us non-sciency types, as well.

Seconding the tunnels recommendation (although they've been painted and repainted so many times by now...the passage must be only a few feet wide!). And I must add...if you're living in Towers, you get no tunnel. I still have fond (no, really!) memories of clinging to the icy handrail to scale the hill to the cafeteria.

Congratulations to all our scholars. All this good news is so heartening.

By the mid-80s, it seemed like everybody was studying optics. Is that still a big thing at UR? Then again, it was terrific for us non-sciency types, as well.

Seconding the tunnels recommendation (although they've been painted and repainted so many times by now...the passage must be only a few feet wide!). And I must add...if you're living in Towers, you get no tunnel. I still have fond (no, really!) memories of clinging to the icy handrail to scale the hill to the cafeteria.

Congratulations to all our scholars. All this good news is so heartening.

Making note to scratch Towers... :tongue_smilie: We haven't seen them yet, but my guy keeps insisting he can get through winter using the tunnels. I keep telling him I grew up with winters (real winters in upstate NY) so he has the genetics to survive them even if he is a Florida native transplanted to PA at the moment.

My senior isn't a homeschooler any more, but she was homeschooled for grades 3-8, so I hope it's okay if I share her college plans here.

She only applied to one college, UNC at Greensboro. She found out two weeks ago that she got accepted to the Honors college, which includes money toward a semester abroad, and she is a finalist in the Scholars Program, which is the merit scholarship program. The interview process is all day next Monday. She's very nervous because interviewing is a weak spot for her. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

The interview process is all day next Monday. She's very nervous because interviewing is a weak spot for her. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Congrats! Was the interview today or is it next week? Best of luck to your dd!

DS got an email from his Oberlin rep, who is interested in finding out more about ds's projects. This is ds's first choice, so it is exciting for him that someone noticed him. I am not reading too much into it, but my fear is that there will be no merit from the schools he loves. We need merit. :tongue_smilie:

Guest Hopeliaibia

Sounds exciting and I wish you all the best I wish I had some good advice... sadly I have yet to teach my first college class, so I really dont have any- just good wishes Hopefully I will be in your shoes here very shortly.

First acceptance today-finally!! RIT. Ds very happy and though it's not his top choice, he'd be happy to go there. I am SO relieved to have something settled. Still waiting on some others.

Woohoo! Great news Catherine! That first one is always a sigh of relief. Congrats to your son!

My senior isn't a homeschooler any more, but she was homeschooled for grades 3-8, so I hope it's okay if I share her college plans here.

She only applied to one college, UNC at Greensboro. She found out two weeks ago that she got accepted to the Honors college, which includes money toward a semester abroad, and she is a finalist in the Scholars Program, which is the merit scholarship program. The interview process is all day next Monday. She's very nervous because interviewing is a weak spot for her. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Elizabeth! I miss our WTM meetings at Borders! Congrats!! :) Best of luck to your dd in her interview!

~Brigid

First acceptance today-finally!! RIT. Ds very happy and though it's not his top choice, he'd be happy to go there. I am SO relieved to have something settled. Still waiting on some others.

Catherine, I have a niece who went to RIT and loved it. Her brother wants to go to RIT, but hasn't heard back. He was accepted to another engineering school near Pittsburgh; I can't remember the name of it. Good luck to your ds.

Congrats! Was the interview today or is it next week? Best of luck to your dd!

DS got an email from his Oberlin rep, who is interested in finding out more about ds's projects. This is ds's first choice, so it is exciting for him that someone noticed him. I am not reading too much into it, but my fear is that there will be no merit from the schools he loves. We need merit. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Lisa. The interview is this coming Monday. Good luck to your ds!

Lisa - We wait, now for the financial news from the schools dd has gotten into. The ones with the best chance of her being able to go (need blind admissions) send their letters out in April.... So we just keep filling out all the forms and keep an eye on that darn mailbox at the end of the driveway!!!

Congratulations to all! It has been encouraging to hear the good reports rolling in even as we wait for word.

DS got his acceptance in the mail today from Catholic University of America (D.C.). He's thrilled, and so are we. Now to wait and see what kind of a financial aid package they offer.

Oldest daughter has made her decision! Radford University!

Already sent in the deposits for tuition & housing.

She's graduating from the local community college in May and will be attending Radford in the fall as a Junior. She's majoring in Psychology and minoring in Forensics. The Forensics minor helped to tip the scales toward Radford!''

Just days after sending in her deposit, we received a letter from Radford with her financial aid award ---- 90% of the cost of attendance has been met in the form of grants!!! Woo hoo!

Oldest daughter has made her decision! Radford University!

Already sent in the deposits for tuition & housing.

She's graduating from the local community college in May and will be attending Radford in the fall as a Junior. She's majoring in Psychology and minoring in Forensics. The Forensics minor helped to tip the scales toward Radford!''

Just days after sending in her deposit, we received a letter from Radford with her financial aid award ---- 90% of the cost of attendance has been met in the form of grants!!! Woo hoo!

Congrats to you and your daughter, Kelly!!

My dd's friend who transferred there was able to get a nice dorm from the start. Radford is her third college now, and the first one where she's happy both in class and socially. Hope your dd likes it just as much!

Congrats to Catherine, pianoplayer and hsmamainva!!

memphispeg - I hope you hear earlier than expected from the last three schools!

S got an acceptance from Wooster - with nice merit. He also applied for their College Scholar award, which we will hear about next week. If he gets it (chances are slim), that scholarship will replace the current one.

Today was huge for us, because Dickinson and Macalester didn't offer merit, which we need.

Best wishes to everyone else during our version of March Madness! ;)

Best wishes to everyone else during our version of March Madness! ;)

Ditto!

And congratulations all for what has been heard so far!

One school left for us, and speculation on cc has results coming tonight, but that's just speculation from those waiting to hear. I'm expecting waitlist since odds are best for that with a really low RD acceptance rate... time will tell.

S got an acceptance from Wooster)

Hi Lisabees! Are over on college confidential, too?! (I'm fiddlinmom over there...and very quiet.)

My ds also was accepted to Wooster and we're heading across the country to visit the first week in April. So far it is between there and Willamette, unless Grinnell comes to its senses and switches the ED deferral to an RD acceptance.

Did you know Jane in NC's son is at Wooster? I've heard nothing but wonderful things from her about it. We have the potential for a Well Trained Troika there:D

As expected, middle son got Waitlisted at WUSTL. College confidential lists many with impressive stats who got waitlisted. I'm personally chalking it up to fewer AP classes than his peers and his trying for one of their most competitive majors, BUT many with more AP scores than he has (he has one + 3 cc As) also got waitlisted or rejected, so, who knows? They tend to have in excess of 25,000 apps for some 3000 acceptances. His odds were low no matter what.

BUT, this is one mom who is secretly pleased. I think the University of Rochester is perfect for what he wants. It's a nice, highly thought of academically, school. It's in a nice area of town. The medical school is right there (not so at WUSTL). Roughly 90% of the undergrads work on research (more than WUSTL). He'll be in their top 25% of students as opposed to right at the top 25 percentile (theoretically making it easier to be competitive for those top grades med students need). It's closer to home by 11 hours. Family lives right in Rochester should anything come up. He loved it there when we visited and loved the class he sat in on. He got a superb financial package - better than I ever expected from a top school.

I think, had he gotten in to WUSTL with adequate financing, that he might have chosen to go there since he loved his visit and they are higher ranked. I'm thinking UR is his better choice looking at everything. I was prepared to let him make his own decision since it's his life.

Therefore, I'm secretly pleased... ;)

He is happy about UR and getting pretty gung ho about it right now (well, right now he's on his way to another chess tournament, but...).

Barring anything unexpected on Admitted Student Days or anything thoroughly unexpected coming from Pittsburgh or Alabama (two schools he didn't like as much, so hard to see what that 'unexpected' could be unless coupled with the first unexpected on Admitted Student Days), my guy will be a Yellowjacket this fall!

Meliora!

May the next stage in his life be as rewarding as all the rest of it has been.

Man, I'm going to miss him (and why I'm thrilled he's only going to be 6 hours away instead of 17).

I hope the rest who are waiting get good news for their perfect schools making your decisions as easy as ours has been!

I should add that UR was his first love when he first started looking at colleges more than a year ago. Then it fell out of favor due solely to winter. Then he hemmed and hawed with it going on and off his list several times always due to climate. Finally, at the last minute to apply for merit aid, he decided to get going writing supplemental essays and it was back on. I am SO GLAD he made that final decision even though he was at application "overload" at the time. Alabama and/or Pittsburgh likely missed out, but he returned to his first love - and, financially, they love him back - so it's win-win!

Now he wonders why he 'wasted time' with his other 5 apps!

Edited by creekland

Creekland;

So the decision has been made!!! I am v. excited for your ds. He sounds like a cool kid who will do well. We did 10 apps. My dd asks "Why?" daily but knows that since we could not visit, we just had to shoot for the moon. With us, it will come down to $$ and whether or not her academic goals are really achievable at the school. We are headed out next week-end to visit 4 that have taken her w/out knowing all the financial details. Fingers crossed that all of them will come through with something good in that department.

Dd was tired of writing essays and submitting all the "stuff" too but, there is a wonderful lesson in here (somewhere?) about how perseverance is necessary to capture the dream. I told her that short of child birth, this may be as hard as it gets? Note to your ds, he doesn't get to do child birth, so he may never know?

Congrats and :grouphug: to you and ds!!!

PS - The temptation to lurk on cc and facebook is so overwhelming at times. I'm no longer allowed to, I go and bake something instead!!!! Either that or plot out more Math/Physics assignments!!!

Hi Lisabees! Are over on college confidential, too?! (I'm fiddlinmom over there...and very quiet.)

My ds also was accepted to Wooster and we're heading across the country to visit the first week in April. So far it is between there and Willamette, unless Grinnell comes to its senses and switches the ED deferral to an RD acceptance.

Did you know Jane in NC's son is at Wooster? I've heard nothing but wonderful things from her about it. We have the potential for a Well Trained Troika there:D

A well trained troika indeed! That would certainly be comforting. :001_smile: I did know Jane's son is at Wooster. I should PM and pick her brain about some things!

DS applied to Grinnell as well. Did you hear they had a 52% increase in applications? That is huge. DS saved Grinnell's essay for the very last moment (well, ten minutes). It was super short and, because he was feeling a bit delirious, super funny. I am pretty sure his lack of effort took Grinnell off the table. It's a shame, too, because it was a good fit.

I'll be sure to look out for you at cc. ;)

Edited by lisabees

Creekland;

So the decision has been made!!! I am v. excited for your ds. He sounds like a cool kid who will do well. We did 10 apps. My dd asks "Why?" daily but knows that since we could not visit, we just had to shoot for the moon. With us, it will come down to $$ and whether or not her academic goals are really achievable at the school. We are headed out next week-end to visit 4 that have taken her w/out knowing all the financial details. Fingers crossed that all of them will come through with something good in that department.

Dd was tired of writing essays and submitting all the "stuff" too but, there is a wonderful lesson in here (somewhere?) about how perseverance is necessary to capture the dream. I told her that short of child birth, this may be as hard as it gets? Note to your ds, he doesn't get to do child birth, so he may never know?

Congrats and :grouphug: to you and ds!!!

PS - The temptation to lurk on cc and facebook is so overwhelming at times. I'm no longer allowed to, I go and bake something instead!!!! Either that or plot out more Math/Physics assignments!!!

Ds ended up applying to 11 schools. I made him add 3 last-minute safeties, after getting no merit from Dickinson. I was terrified he wouldn't receive any merit from any school. And we must have some.

I cannot tell you how grateful I am to Wooster for the scholarship. :001_smile:

Enjoy your visits! I hope you find a clear winner and that the school comes through for you. Keep us updated!

Edited by lisabees

Creekland - so glad your ds has found the school! Wonderful news. You must be so relieved. Big congrats to all of you.

It IS a nice relief after months of wondering and playing the "what if" game in our minds. The biggest relief is knowing it's financially affordable and a good school that he enjoys and where he can advance anywhere he wants - it he wants - afterward.

I'm going to be eagerly watching this thread for news from the rest of y'all this month. I kind of feel a kinship to all of us who have been in the hunt this year and I know what it's like to need finances to work out. May the news be great!