Menu

Pellet stove insert---anyone have one?

Our new to us house came with a pellet stove insert. Dh has it up and running but we really don't know what we are doing with it. It looks like a little gas log fireplace with a hopper for the pellets behind a black door at the top. You can adjust the flow of the pellets as well.

We just didn't know how to best adjust it, what upkeep it needs, if we should have it professionally serviced since it is new to us, etc.

Also, are they efficient to use or will it be much cheaper to just run our natural gas furnace? We have the option of a higher efficiency gas furnace with duct work through the whole house, then there is the radiant floor heat that runs through the kitchen, dining room and living room and the pellet stove in the living room. I guess the lady of the house didn't want her living room to be cold:001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...
Our new to us house came with a pellet stove insert. Dh has it up and running but we really don't know what we are doing with it. It looks like a little gas log fireplace with a hopper for the pellets behind a black door at the top. You can adjust the flow of the pellets as well.

We just didn't know how to best adjust it, what upkeep it needs, if we should have it professionally serviced since it is new to us, etc.

Also, are they efficient to use or will it be much cheaper to just run our natural gas furnace? We have the option of a higher efficiency gas furnace with duct work through the whole house, then there is the radiant floor heat that runs through the kitchen, dining room and living room and the pellet stove in the living room. I guess the lady of the house didn't want her living room to be cold:001_smile:

Did you get any help with this yet?

You should get it cleaned seasonally. Either by the folks who installed it for about $75-90, or clean it yourself after watching them do it the first time. They'd be able to tell you about all the features of your stove too and how to maintain.

There's a hopper that colds the ash that needs to get cleaned out periodically too during the season.

My folks have a pellet stove insert. And we just bought a free standing pellet stove yesterday so I have been educated even if I don't yet have personal experience.

Did the lady you bought the house from include the paperwork for the stove? If she didn't, the local stove/fire place company should be able to help you too. :D

I'm looking forward to the used pellet stove we bought yesterday getting installed! Propane is expensive!!!

We did have ours cleaned on Tueday and it is is good working order. It is an older model by a company that is now out of business but it safe to use.

In our area we have natural gas so that type of heat will be much cheaper to use overall but the pellet stove is nice for warming up the main living area more and it just looks nice.

I am sure you will save money though over propane.