Menu

how do you know?

Is there a way to "test" your child to see what level he/she is on? We are just starting out but the problem that I have already encountered is that she is WAY ahead in some areas and behind in some. It would be very hard to "box" her in to a certain grade. Can I test her?

Is there a way to "test" your child to see what level he/she is on? We are just starting out but the problem that I have already encountered is that she is WAY ahead in some areas and behind in some. It would be very hard to "box" her in to a certain grade. Can I test her?

I think the most useful tests for day-to-day pacing will be curriculum-specific. What curricula are you using? Did you do any pre-testing or placement testing before you started?

Boxed curriculum doesn't work very well for these kids. You won't find the same grade for every subject. I call my dd her age-grade--just finishing 3rd--but the grade levels that she is working at range from 3rd to 7th. She doesn't progress at the same rate for all of them either.

Your best bet is to pick a grade level for each subject based on a pre-test or on what you know about her skills. Then hang on for the ride.

Yes, you can obtain standardized testing and test her yourself, have others do it, perhaps use one of the test prep books available to help you establish an idea of where she's at, or use the online placement tests for some programs (such as Singapore and Saxon), in order to place her. You also might check out E.D. Hirsch's What Your ______ Grader Needs to Know and use that to help you gauge where she is in terms of grade level in different subjects.

Another option some have used is to do standardized testing level by level until you hit a solid 50th percentile score, since the farther you get from 50th percentile the less it tells you about which level your dc is. I agree that curriculum in a box doesn't usually work. We mix and match what we use. We have used curricula specific placement tests for math.

"How do you know that he loves you?"

I can't have been the only one who immediately heard the "Enchanted" song in my head, right?

I agree with what others have said. Gifted kids generally have asynchronous development... so you just have to pay attention and assess each area separately. While testing or placement have value, I think that generally you just have to spend a lot of time with your child and get a "sense" of where they are.

Some curricula are also better at allowing kids to self-pace than others. I find it difficult to not have my son live up to my expectations rather than his abilities. My desires are almost always way under what he can happily do.

Well, that's why we're homeschooling, isn't it? Well, at least one reason. :D Becca couldn't be "boxed" into one grade level either. We're calling her a kindergartener but she's not really doing any K work. I've just looked at as many curriculum samples online as possible and thumbed through tons of workbooks in person to try and get Becca at at least a good starting point. How long she'll be at that level... I don't know. I did create an account with K12 so I could give Becca their LA and math placement tests... that was a big help.

Besides going the professional testing route (with Woodcock Johnson, I believe), or using the CAT/ITBS/SAT tests again and again to find the solid 50%, I've found the free tests for curriculum placements to be a pretty good indicator.

www.k12.com has an independent program for homeschoolers that don't want to be a part of a virtual academy/public school. They have excellent placement tests for Language Arts and Mathematics.

All you really need to "know" is about where she is performing language arts and math-wise. Science usually corresponds with mathematics and History usually corresponds with Language Arts (reading).

My son topped out on the LA 4th grade level -- not due to reading ability, or even grammar and spelling but due a lack of terminology that starts to be seen at that general age (foreshadowing, metaphor, similie, etc.).

That said, a 4th grade writing curriculum is a bit too demanding for him.

So, based upon his results at that time (4th grade LA/4th grade Math), here is the plan I *would* have gone with, if we hadn't done K12 a-la-carte:

Literature -- 4th grade

Composition -- 3rd grade

Grammar/Spelling/Vocabulary -- 6th grade

Math -- 4th grade

Science -- 4th grade

History -- 3rd grade

Art -- 3rd grade

As it was, we went with K12, so Composition is on the difficult side and spelling/grammar/vocab is on the oh-too-easy, bordering on boring busy-work side! Certain aspects of math are very easy (fractions, percentages, decimals -- even long division and multiplication --but throw rounding at the child and he's like a deer staring at the headlights!). The reading material isn't challenging -- but that isn't my concern this year (or next -- although he voluntarilly started to read Beowulf :001_huh:).

Your dd is perfectly normal for most gifted children. And, be warned -- just when you think you have everything figured out, something changes!

You just can't predict what they will "get" and when they will "hit a wall." Or even which curriculum will fit her (and you) best. It's definitely a wild ride -- but worth every minute.

I have been referred to the BRIGANCE testing system. It's pricey to obtain, but you can use it whenever you want throughout the year to test whatever you feel like testing (in math and English, of course! I don't think it tests the others. Someone tell me if I am wrong.). I think that the upfront cost is worth it if you plan on testing your children on a regular basis. The nice thing about it is that you can test just math and two months later test reading if you want. I can look up the link if you want me too. I have considered getting it to use with my girls, so that I can stay on top of where they are at. You can also get the standardization guide to go with it.

I've had success using K12 to place my 6yo as well. He placed into 2nd grade language arts (at the beginning of K). In January of his K year I signed him up for LA 2, History K, and Science 1. Actually *doing* the courses really helped me understand where he was level wise, much more so than the WJ-III or Iowa ever has (for my older boy). I was able to work with him with the material for 4 or so months and see where he flew through things and where he struggled a bit (this applies to LA because he didn't struggle at all with history or science). I found that he needed a higher reading level for literature. Grammar/usage/mechanics was very easy for him. The way they worked the spelling program he would get 100% on the tests and then promptly forget how to spell the words he didn't know how to spell already. He could do the writing, but it was obviously challenging for him.

In all, I got an amazing amount of information by doing K12 LA for four months. I am upping the level of the literature selections and grammar, changing spelling to suit the way he learns, and doing standard WTM 1st grade writing (with some dictation and real writing thrown in).

If you have the time and the funds, I would highly recommend trying K12 in the areas where you are having trouble placing your child. I found it very enlightening.

"How do you know that he loves you?"

I can't have been the only one who immediately heard the "Enchanted" song in my head, right?

Yup, it was playing in my head as I read:lol:...

I'm starting to wonder if I should order some tests to test my 4 yo over the summer.

Lol! I still have it singing when I read this thread...

After reading the thread I decided to try the K12 tests... ds has done the first six of each without mistake, and he's losing interest, to say the least. I think we'll dive back in tomorrow or MOnday.