Menu

Instructor Guide for Sonlight History/Readers for Core D/E?

NoPlaceLikeHome

How thorough are the instructor guides for D/E History/Readers? Do they cover adequate vocabulary and summaries for all of the history books and readers? Are the student discussion and activities helpful as well?

I am also interested in F, G, H, W, and 120 in the future for middle school for history/literature?

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

Summaries? How detailed are you looking for? The study guides for the readers include a note about setting and a very brief overview of the book.

Vocabulary, yes. At least, I think so, but YMMV. I think the discussion questions are good- it's enough, but I sometimes want to probe a little deeper than they suggest.

There really aren't activities either. There's a core tips CD that now can be purchased with the cores, and is supposed to have activity suggestions, but it wasn't around when we did Cores D and E. I likely wouldn't have used it anyway, as we don't care for crafts and activities much.

Now that I'm thinking of it though, maybe by activities you mean the mapping and timeline notes? There are plenty of notes for those!

Summaries? How detailed are you looking for? The study guides for the readers include a note about setting and a very brief overview of the book.

Vocabulary, yes. At least, I think so, but YMMV. I think the discussion questions are good- it's enough, but I sometimes want to probe a little deeper than they suggest.

There really aren't activities either. There's a core tips CD that now can be purchased with the cores, and is supposed to have activity suggestions, but it wasn't around when we did Cores D and E. I likely wouldn't have used it anyway, as we don't care for crafts and activities much.

Now that I'm thinking of it though, maybe by activities you mean the mapping and timeline notes? There are plenty of notes for those!

I am thinking in terms of mapping and timelines as we are not really crafty:D As for detailed summaries, I mean enough so that the parent does not have to read every book. I hope to do read a louds as we enjoy them but I also want to encourage independence as well. Plus I like a little mom time:)

I am thinking in terms of mapping and timelines as we are not really crafty:D As for detailed summaries, I mean enough so that the parent does not have to read every book. I hope to do read a louds as we enjoy them but I also want to encourage independence as well. Plus I like a little mom time:)

I think that between the summaries and the comprehension questions you can get a really good feel for the books without reading them yourself. The history guide notes also go into much more detail than the reader notes as well.

I read all the readers ahead of time for my kids, and for these cores in particular ( D and E) they were really quick reads on my part, and I felt better able to discuss, but you could certainly do it without reading ahread. Now, Core F books, on the other hand, are taking me quite a bit longer to pre-read...