Menu

Common App Questions

mochick

So freaked out by this...any input would be appreciated!

1) How long of an answer for the homeschool philosophy and grading questions on the Homeschool Supplement?

2) Are textbook names enough if the school doesn't ask for more, or should I go ahead and submit course descriptions just to be thorough?

3) Do I also fill out the Teacher Evaluation, since we have never taken any courses outside the home?

4) Is is better to submit more information than requested, or keep it short and sweet and let them do the asking for more?

I'm sure I'll think of more...but this is enough to get started. Oh dear d-d-dear dear dear... (Piglet).

So freaked out by this...any input would be appreciated!

1) How long of an answer for the homeschool philosophy and grading questions on the Homeschool Supplement?

2) Are textbook names enough if the school doesn't ask for more, or should I go ahead and submit course descriptions just to be thorough?

3) Do I also fill out the Teacher Evaluation, since we have never taken any courses outside the home?

4) Is is better to submit more information than requested, or keep it short and sweet and let them do the asking for more?

I'm sure I'll think of more...but this is enough to get started. Oh dear d-d-dear dear dear... (Piglet).

I can't speak for all and this is my first year with the common app as the schools my oldest applied to didn't use it. However, this is what I'm doing...

1) I'm pretty close to maxing these out with explanations.

2) We uploaded our own transcript on the school report and skipped filling in the section on the homeschool supplement. On that section I just put something to the effect of "see transcript uploaded with school report." We did this because I have a bit of extra stuff on our transcript including ACT scores and notes about other courses.

3) I'm not totally sure how to answer this one. My guy has outside community college profs doing these. Are there any coaches, youth leaders, or other "outside the family" people who would be willing to write the evaluations? I'm pretty sure the colleges want to see "something" from outside the family even if it isn't a teacher.

4) Without outside confirmation of grades, I would submit more, not less. You need to be able to "prove" what your student has done and that they would be a good addition to the college(s) they are applying to. Compare their SAT/ACT scores to the mid 50% at the college(s) they are trying to get accepted to (find these easily on collegeboard.com). If your student is in the top 25% then you've got less of a case to make for them (but it's still helpful to provide something). If they are in the bottom 50% it's definitely better to show/send more. Colleges want to increase their SAT/ACT scores to improve their rankings so higher scores are a positive addition to an application.

Colleges won't always ask for more - especially if they are competitive to get into. If at all possible, do visits and interviews too. Showing interest is another plus as is having adcoms actually meet/interview the student.

I just noticed on the other thread you mentioned a music major. Is there anyone she's studied music under/with who could do the teacher evaluations? I would think that could be important, esp for a selective music school.

There is also a separate music application for the school that is her top choice, and it requires two music teacher evaluations, so we are already doing that...

I sent an email to the admissions counselor who is over the homeschooled students, so hopefully he will respond to my questions on Monday...

Thanks for the input! :-)