Menu

Cutting the spines off books

In the past, when I wanted to disassemble a book, I took out my exacto knife and spent time taking the pages out one or two at a time. This year, having heard about having the spines cut off at places like Kinkos, I went the easy route. The closest FedEx Kinkos is quite a ways out of the way so I went to Office Max.

The guy cut at least 1/2 inch off the book! He handed it back to me before doing the next three, and I'm so glad he did. The pages were cut right up to the printing. Fortunately, they aren't totally useless but it was close. Some of the pages have cut-outs for labs; if he had cut even a millimeter closer, they would have been totally ruined and useless. I asked him to cut less so he barely moved the book. Again, he's within a mm of the printing. The third book he moved a tiny bit more, which was still too close for comfort.

I definitely can't hole punch them because there isn't ANY margin at all any more.

I went in there thinking he'd cut just a mm or so...the thickness of the paper and glue really...and came out with nearly destroyed books.

Is it normal to cut off so much of the book or did he just do a horrible job? I didn't complain while I was there because I was kind of in shock at how much of the book was missing, but now I wonder if I should complain.

This has happened to several people I know.

I think the thicker the book, the more of the page gets removed. If you use your x-acto knife and cut the book into multiple thin segments (experiment to find the ideal number of pages) before cutting the binding off each segment with a paper cutter, you should have a lot more control.

I think "if you want something done right, do it yourself" is always good advice.

Sorry about your books!

These were 1/4 thick (at most) paperback books.

I didn't specify how much to cut because I didn't know I could. I didn't realize they can set it wherever they wanted. I guess I kind of thought there was only one way to "cut the spine off".

And he didn't ask how much I wanted cut off. He took the book, put it in the machine, and pushed a button.

He did a horrible job. Sorry. :-(

I have known of people getting the business that destroyed their books to get refunds. You might try that. At any rate, you should definitely complain.

And IMHO you shouldn't have had to specify how much you wanted cut off. The employee should have had a clue and cut off *just* the binding, for goodness' sake.

I've had really varied results at Office Max - it totally depends on the experience level of the employee. When they cut my SOTW AG way too close, I pointed it out right then (my plan was to 3-hole punch it, and there wasn't enough margin), and they copied the whole thing on the high-speed machine, and gave me the copy, except for the covers. Somehow they set the copy machine to offset it, and there was room on the copied pages to punch. Other times I've been lucky to get someone who knows what they're doing, and had great results.

I've never had a problem just pulling the pages out of a perfect bound (like WWE) book. Just open the book in about the center and bend it in half backwards until the spine breaks. After you break the spine, the pages just peel right off the glue quite easily. I grab about 10 at a time to make ripping the edges less likely.

I've done it to several and it's so easy. I also get ALL the page that way and have lots of room to punch or comb bind it.

I've been thinking about getting the SOTW activity book cut off. When people do this, is there really enough room to 3-hole punch them?? What about the fact that the activity pages are perforated?

Getting the pages loose-leaf would be excellent.

-andy

It's a botched job. He didn't align the book right when he put it in the machine. You should definitely complain and not have had to pay for the ruined books. They might compensate the cut binding charge and make a copy that they can 3-hole drill for you.

I've been thinking about getting the SOTW activity book cut off. When people do this, is there really enough room to 3-hole punch them?? What about the fact that the activity pages are perforated?

-andy

For the SOTW AG, when they cut my binding off, I told them I wanted them to drill the 3-hole punch as well. The holes were drilled right over the perforated line. It worked fine for us.

I've never had a problem just pulling the pages out of a perfect bound (like WWE) book. Just open the book in about the center and bend it in half backwards until the spine breaks. After you break the spine, the pages just peel right off the glue quite easily. I grab about 10 at a time to make ripping the edges less likely.

I've done it to several and it's so easy. I also get ALL the page that way and have lots of room to punch or comb bind it.

I do this too! Except with one page at a time so it takes longer.

Sorry hunny, I can't help you with that, I'm tearing apart the books! ;)

My husband was at work.

His electric skillsaw was on his workbench in the garage.

That was all the thinking I did and i used some clamps to hold the book really tight and sawed off the bindings of two books. one was pretty good. The other not so much. Both are usable. I'll be buying a new book for the one that was pretty poor. Btw, we live 40min from Kinkos so I couldn't just run to Kinkos as easily on the spur of the moment as I could grab a power tool!

Has anyone else ever did that?

It was a spur of the moment decision with questionable results!

Lisa J (and I've been wanting to do it for years!)

-andy

I have always had good results with [FedEx]Kinko's, even with books that have perforated pages. I take the three-ring notebook with me to demonstrate what I'm going to do. I've had mixed results with Office Depot and Office Max, as (1) their employees are not as experienced as Kinko's, and (2) they don't usually have the equipment that Kinko's has so they have to work-around.

My husband was at work.

His electric skillsaw was on his workbench in the garage.

That was all the thinking I did and i used some clamps to hold the book really tight and sawed off the bindings of two books. one was pretty good. The other not so much. Both are usable. I'll be buying a new book for the one that was pretty poor. Btw, we live 40min from Kinkos so I couldn't just run to Kinkos as easily on the spur of the moment as I could grab a power tool!

Has anyone else ever did that?

It was a spur of the moment decision with questionable results!

Lisa J (and I've been wanting to do it for years!)

I have thought about it. I was thinking about it just this week as I look at the daunting Easy Grammar Plus teacher's manual. It's 600+ pages. :tongue_smilie:

I know my method will not destroy it though. But there is about an inch between the spine and the printing. Hmmm...

What sort of saw was it? Like a circular saw? Those can be kinda hard to see where you're cutting.

-andy

When I had mine done, I had the spine removed and the entire thing three-hole punched at the same time.