Menu

is buying a juicer worth it?

I have a friend who has a 7 year old daughter who is diabetic. They go through a lot of juice because that is the fastest way to regulate her blood sugar. She is considering getting a juicer, but I was wondering if that is the most economical way to get juice. (she is all worried after the Juicey Juice thing). They are not rolling in extra money and I am wondering if she would be better off finding a good source of juice and not juicing it herself. Can anybody here help me advise her?

I have a friend who has a 7 year old daughter who is diabetic. They go through a lot of juice because that is the fastest way to regulate her blood sugar. She is considering getting a juicer, but I was wondering if that is the most economical way to get juice. (she is all worried after the Juicey Juice thing). They are not rolling in extra money and I am wondering if she would be better off finding a good source of juice and not juicing it herself. Can anybody here help me advise her?

If they're going for economical, no. My juicer is worth it for me, but it certainly isn't the cheapest way to get juice.

If she just wants juice, no a juicer will not be economical. If she is trying to get enzymes from raw fruits & veggies that have not been pasturized in the juicing process, then yes a juicer or a high quality blender (to get the fiber as well) would be a good investment.

I would prefer a vitamix (more versatile, and you can throw the whole fruit in there for more fiber, resulting in a slower dump of sugar into the system). Less waste with a vitamix too.

The more expensive juicers have less waste, which saves money over the long haul.

I have no interest in a juicer. I'd rather make smoothies with added greens, etc.

Yeah I'm confused how juice regulates blood sugar.

I may have my information wrong. All I know is that in her little bag where her test strips are, she always has a juice box and snacks. At any rate, she uses juice often.

As far as the Juicy Juice thing...my friend told me she heard that the apple juice on the market has traces of arsnic in it...a "natural" product of apples?? Something like that. I didn't really take note because I can my own grape juice and I buy organic OJ....and we don't drink a lot of juice anyway.

What Juicy Juice thing? :001_huh:

As far as the Juicy Juice thing...my friend told me she heard that the apple juice on the market has traces of arsnic in it...a "natural" product of apples?? Something like that. I didn't really take note because I can my own grape juice and I buy organic OJ....and we don't drink a lot of juice anyway.

http://www.juicyjuice.com/Public/Apple-Juice.aspx Link to JJs response to a Dr OZ show's allegations.

Here is another site that discusses this issue. I do not know who sponsors this site...(for all I know it could be JJ themselves OR a completely independent company).

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Yeah I'm confused how juice regulates blood sugar.

I would assume the little girl has type 1 diabetes so she needs juice to bring up low blood glucose levels. Both high and low blood sugar is a normal part of managing type 1 diabetes. You raise glucose levels with juice because it is a fast source of glucose--fats or slower carbs take longer to raise blood glucose levels. Usually you will follow a fast acting carb with a slower carb and/or protein to try to keep their numbers stable. Type 1 diabetes is a very difficult balancing act that is influenced by so many factors, many of which you can't control. My oldest son also has type 1 diabetes so unfortunately I know a lot about all of this!

As for the juicer, no not the most economical way to get juice. I haven't read about the Juicy Juice issue and I'm a little afraid to now! My son uses Juicy Juice to bring up lows all the time--ugh! Off to read!:tongue_smilie:

I'm not touching the Juicy Juice thing, because I honestly have no idea what that is about, and I'm not going to go and look it up on Sunday night :D

BUT... we just bought a Breville juicer with the puree attachment two weeks ago. We LOVE it. the juices we have made have been delicious. The girls love it. I love it. DH loves it. It was NOT cheap, and buying the produce to feed it certainly is not cheap, nor is it easy -- we have food stored all over our kitchen just to feed the juicer.

I would assume the little girl has type 1 diabetes so she needs juice to bring up low blood glucose levels. Both high and low blood sugar is a normal part of managing type 1 diabetes. You raise glucose levels with juice because it is a fast source of glucose--fats or slower carbs take longer to raise blood glucose levels. Usually you will follow a fast acting carb with a slower carb and/or protein to try to keep their numbers stable. Type 1 diabetes is a very difficult balancing act that is influenced by so many factors, many of which you can't control. My oldest son also has type 1 diabetes so unfortunately I know a lot about all of this!

As for the juicer, no not the most economical way to get juice. I haven't read about the Juicy Juice issue and I'm a little afraid to now! My son uses Juicy Juice to bring up lows all the time--ugh! Off to read!:tongue_smilie:

yes, this sounds right. I was thinking that if she is concerned about how safe juice might be, it would be better to buy organic juices...is that right??

Yeah, I think organic would be the way to go if she is concerned with the quality of the juice her daughter is drinking. The only warning I'd say about that is to make sure she knows the source of sugar in the juice (hopefully, just 100% fruit juice). I would think most are fine, but she wouldn't want one sweetened with stevia or something like that since those do not raise blood sugar in a predictable way. HTH