Menu

Need (non-busywork) ideas for 2nd grader

My youngest will be 2nd grade in the fall. He is accelerated in math and most subjects except reading, for which he's grade level in Phonics Pathways. In math, he is just about to start MUS Gamma (multiplication) and is ahead of his older sister.

I can't keep up with him. He whizzes through his assignments and then waits for us to do history read alouds. Usually he will listen to audio CDs during this time. I'd love to find something for him to do independently (he LOVES schoolwork) while I work with the older two but I don't want to give him busywork.

His current independent work:

Math U See

Explode the Code

Copywork (Cursive)

New Practice Readers (Comprehension)

Any ideas?

My second grader has been using some of her free time to learn to type. She works on a typing game and then practices her skills by typing a letter she wants to email to her friends that recently moved. When she is done she leaves it on the screen for me to proof read with her later and approve before she sends it. (my rule)

I have also given her a journal she can write in, drawing books, and art supply kits that include written instructions to follow. These activities usually keep her productive while I am working with her sisters.

My ds likes to do Singapore's Challenging Word Problems on his own. Does your son enjoy reading? Maybe he could pick a variety of books from the library for independent reading.

I didn't realize Singapore had CWP for 2nd grade until you mentioned it. I will look further into it.

He does enjoy reading but is not completely fluent yet. He does do independent reading but they're mostly easy readers. I forgot to list that as something he is doing.

Thanks!

My second grader has been using some of her free time to learn to type. She works on a typing game and then practices her skills by typing a letter she wants to email to her friends that recently moved. When she is done she leaves it on the screen for me to proof read with her later and approve before she sends it. (my rule)

I have also given her a journal she can write in, drawing books, and art supply kits that include written instructions to follow. These activities usually keep her productive while I am working with her sisters.

He does keep a journal but it's not independent work yet as he is always asking for help with spelling, punctuation, etc. I usually ask him to work on it after I'm done with the other two so I can walk him through it.

Drawing books and typing, great ideas.

Thanks!

I set out Tin Man Press thinking skills sheets for my 7yo when I'm working with the others. Very fun and can be done independently. Check out the samples

http://www.tinmanpress.com/index.php?page=products

Is he creative/artistic at all? A few of our older children are heavy into crafts and dc will spend hours recreating something we read or studied with felt, beads, clay, etc.

Try alternatives interests. My 6 yr old loves geography right now. He is constantly looking over maps, reading atlas's, reading a book called "People Around the World" and putting together geography puzzles. None of this is part of a curriculum we would have otherwise done. My now 12 yr old was obsessed with Ancient history in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade. I provided her with every book and such I coupld find on it. For my oldest son, he had (still has but doesn't use, sure 6 yr old will get around to it eventually) Snap Circuits and other kits for building electrical and other engineering type things. He plans to be an engineer some day.