Menu

Can I wash gas-soaked clothing in my washer?

Dh had the unfortunate experience of having the cut-off thingie malfunction when he was filling his gas tank this morning. Gas gushed all over him, his shoes, and the pavement. He had to turn around and come home and change his clothes. He put his shoes in the garage, but he put his pants and socks in the sink in the laundry room. You might imagine the odor which greeted me when I got up:( I called him at work and he told me the story, so I took the pants and put them outside until I could ask the hive mind:

Can I wash those clothes in my washer???

Call the gas station manager, tell them what happened and they may have some advice. (Like them paying for new clothes!)

DH did something similar with diesel years ago. He dropped his jeans off at the cleaners (they were a brand new pair!). An hour later they called and told him to come pick them up. They wouldn't clean them and they didn't want them in their shop! We soaked them a few times with some Oxyclean, then washed them several times (like 5 or 6).

BTDT. As long as it wasn't diesel, but 1st you need to follow Tammy's advice. Put everything outside in the sun for a day or two. Reg. gasoline evaporates like water. If you don't put it out in the sun first though, you won't get it out of the clothes. After that, wash as normal and they should be fine.